Captain Jack.

maggiemou

Hi, Can anyone tell me if Captian Jack Van Coevorden is still sailing with HA?

If so which ship is he on? Thank you.

Captain Jack van Coevorden, with HAL since 1963!!, officially retired from the company on 6 December 2008 and received a "wave off" (by ship's whistle) from several of the cruise ships in Port Everglades that day. Since that time however, he appears to have been back on shorter contracts, serving as a "true relief" captain.

He has been back as master of Volendam, Amsterdam, Statendam. His last command was on Statendam in May of this year.

Short answer.......

Captain Jack is officially retired but is still sailing. He's one of the GREATS. He's sailed any number of ships since his official retirement (that lasted a very, very short time.) :)

Met him on our first Holland cruise... and he has been a standard we measure others by... very professional and was decisive. I won't forget when we were suppose to dock at Costa Maya and the pilot said it was too dangerous. Within 30 minutes he made the decision to give us a sea day that day and then arranged for us to have our last day in Key West which was a nice experience. DB777

Thank you all for the info. I was in a reminiscent mood, and thinking back to 30 years ago when I worked on HA line. This was when I met Capt. Jack. He was second officer in those days. In fact I knew him very, very well as we sailed together. I just wondered what became of him. I still cruise as a passenger, but mainly on Cunard.

Thank you all for the info. I was in a reminiscent mood, and thinking back to 30 years ago when I worked on HA line. This was when I met Capt. Jack. He was second officer in those days. In fact I knew him very, very well as we sailed together. I just wondered what became of him. I still cruise as a passenger, but mainly on Cunard.

Here's a pic of Captain Jack (center) when he was Volendam's Master last year on a visit to Laem Chabang, Thailand

vo_chebang.jpg

And one of him in Kemamam, Malaysia

vo_kemaman1.jpg

Here's a pic of Captain Jack (center) when he was Volendam's Master last year on a visit to Laem Chabang, Thailand

vo_chebang.jpg

And one of him in Kemamam, Malaysia

vo_kemaman1.jpg

Thank you Copper10-8 for the photos and info. Well, I have to say the Captain has lost his looks and hair! He was an Elvis look alike and he could also sing as he was once a singer in a band. I still have the tape of his groups music. Guess his hard work and hard living has caught up on him;) but hey he must be 70 years old by now so good for him!

He always was a good looking guy and he knew it, he loved the ladies. I was one of them so I remember him well. Doesn't appear he has wore as well as I have.:D

Anyhow Copper nice to hear from you. My husband and I will

be staying in your hometown of LA on the 30th January 2011. after disembarking the Queen Elizabeth ship.

Have a nice day.

Maggiemou,Cyprus1609514775_JTMT003.jpg.6adeacdb98fed8ed620ac86823cbfe65.jpg

We sailed a great many times with Captain Jack and he was always so gracious to us. We've had lots of laughs and good times with him and I'm happy to see he's still sailing. He has salt water running through him and I can't imagine him on solid ground for very long. :D

One of the greats IMO

Thank you Copper10-8 for the photos and info. Well, I have to say the Captain has lost his looks and hair! He was an Elvis look alike and he could also sing as he was once a singer in a band. I still have the tape of his groups music. Guess his hard work and hard living has caught up on him;) but hey he must be 70 years old by now so good for him!

He always was a good looking guy and he knew it, he loved the ladies. I was one of them so I remember him well. Doesn't appear he has wore as well as I have.:D

Anyhow Copper nice to hear from you. My husband and I will

be staying in your hometown of LA on the 30th January 2011. after disembarking the Queen Elizabeth ship.

Have a nice day.

Maggiemou,Cyprus

That's a great pic, Maggiemou, thanks!

Capt'n Jack was the Master of Statendam for my first ever cruise. Up oagainst the bridge window was a largish crocodile, of the pool toy variety. Never did find out what that was about but got a cheeky wink from the good Captain when he caught me gazing up that way. :p

Archived