Tour Guide in Venice - Do I need it?

lawilliams

Welcome to CC,

I agree with the other poster, Venice is all about walking the narrow walkways surround by canals and with a good guide book you are good.

Save your money for private guides/tours in other ports in some the private guided tour/vehicle really will enhance your experience!

I am traveling with my husband and four children and will spend two 1/2 days in Venice. Do I need a private tour guide? Any recommendations? What should I see?:)

I am traveling with my husband and four children and will spend two 1/2 days in Venice. Do I need a private tour guide? Any recommendations? What should I see?:)

Buy a good travel book.

Since you have 2 half days in Venice, I'd suggest you get a copy of Frommer's Venice Day by Day. and follow there "The best in One Day" itinerary.

Definately include a full transit of the Grand Canal by Vaporetto. Buy Vaporetto passes so that you can get off and on at a number of stops. You can spend a half day just seeing the sites of Piazza San Marco including the Basilica, the Campanile (bell tower) and the Doge's Palace. Then there's the Rialto Bridge and just plain wondering around and getting lost for a while. It's about 100 euros, but don't miss out on taking a gondola ride around sunset.

Archived