Your favorite dessert? & recommendations for a picky DH!

erdoran

I'm dreaming about my next cruise and figure to pass the time, I'll think about dessert! DH especially loves chocolate cake or any chocolate dessert, or any really GOOD cake! Just no nuts or coconut!

So what is YOUR favorite NCL dessert? Can be specialty, MDR, or anything else as long as it is served onboard ship...well for that matter, if you had something amazing in port, you can count that too! And what would you recommend for Mr. Picky? DH works very, very hard during the year and our cruise week is his only vacation, so I want this one to knock his socks off, and making sure he has great desserts will go a long way! Please post your favorite(s)!

In my opinion, NCL doesn't have very good desserts. I don't care for their cakes at all, and the cookies are just so-so. I usually end up getting ice cream.

It may be that the specialty restaurants have something, but we're usually so full after those meals that I can't recall anything that stood out. Or maybe that the cakes in the coffee bar (that you have to pay for) are good, but I've never tried them.

Of course, food is subjective, so maybe your husband will love the desserts that he gets in the MDR.

Yeah, I wasn't really impressed by any of the desserts, there were some weird textures going on. I usually just got ice cream.

I did like the apple streusel with butter pecan ice cream. And the cookies are pretty good, especially the white chocolate macadamia nut.

I'm dreaming about my next cruise and figure to pass the time, I'll think about dessert! DH especially loves chocolate cake or any chocolate dessert, or any really GOOD cake! Just no nuts or coconut!

So what is YOUR favorite NCL dessert? Can be specialty, MDR, or anything else as long as it is served onboard ship...well for that matter, if you had something amazing in port, you can count that too! And what would you recommend for Mr. Picky? DH works very, very hard during the year and our cruise week is his only vacation, so I want this one to knock his socks off, and making sure he has great desserts will go a long way! Please post your favorite(s)!

of course any dessert in Le Bistro will stand out plus I love the soufflets in the main DR but am not sure if they still have them.

Nita

As mentioned right before me - the creme brulee with the chocolate ganache on the bottom is wonderful!

We have always found plenty desserts to keep us happy. The old Blue Lagoon in the Star (before it was moved to its current location on 8) seemed to always have these jumbo cookies up for grabs that were really good.

There has been a chocolate dessert with a whiskey caramel sauce, but I don't remember the name of it.

The Blue Lagoon also has a brownie sundae that is delicious.

I'll let you know when we get back from our 9/4 cruise!:D

I've read many many posts now of people not liking NCL's desserts. This makes me think that it's not just foodies that are picky about their desserts, that the average joe wouldn't like them either.

I'm diabetic so i'll have to stick with the sugar-free desserts. THese are often less tasty than regular desserts, so if the regular ones are bad.... ungh. Looks like it's fresh fruit for dessert for me!

I really like the Soufle. They have different flavors and have some amazing sauces to accent them. I do like the pound cake with berries and whipped cream in the blue lagoon. It is a simple dessert but the cake was always moist and dense Sometimes I would have that instead of wings late night. Oh and the creme brule in Le Bistro.

JW

Our favorite has to be the chocolate fondue from LeBistro. They serve fresh fruit (Bananas, grapes, strawberries, pinapple) in a half pinapple and a fondue pot of dark chocolate for you to dip the fruit in. MMMMMMM I can't wait until October to have it again.

Just returned from the Dawn. We LOVED the desserts! I can't understand what there was to NOT like about them! The chocolate mousse was my all time favorite. I got it each night in the MDR. DH is diabetic and always ate the sugar-free. He said they were good, I tried some of them and agree, and they were all presented nicely.

I've read many many posts now of people not liking NCL's desserts. This makes me think that it's not just foodies that are picky about their desserts, that the average joe wouldn't like them either.

I'm diabetic so i'll have to stick with the sugar-free desserts. THese are often less tasty than regular desserts, so if the regular ones are bad.... ungh. Looks like it's fresh fruit for dessert for me!

my DH is diabetic as well. Our last NCL was on board the Spirit in 2006 so I'll know if they are still in ample supply on the Jewel in a few weeks. He is as fussy as fussy comes and he did not complain about the no sugar added desserts. I tried a few myself and don't remember being disappointed. As with any no sugar added cake type product they have the tendency to be a little dry. Pies I notice no difference in. Cheesecakes either. I bake him no sugar added homemade pies, cheesecake, etc. Of the various cake recipes I've tried they all tend to be dry. Homemade or the ones on the market here that are made by sweet n low.

From having traveled on CCL and Princess and NCL, NCL stands out as the line having the most sugar free dessert choices. IMO.

If you're like me where you've spent years tweaking a recipe to your taste buds then you may not necessarily go crazy over the same thing prepared differently.

Just returned from the Dawn. We LOVED the desserts! I can't understand what there was to NOT like about them!

I can't understand it either, LittleBee. De gustibus non est disputandum. We've never had a problem finding a good dessert.

Desserts, agree with other posters. Just wanted to say, I understand the picky eater husband, we have been on 9 ncl and my husband sticks to the "always available menu" chicken most of the time, but he does love Cagneys so that is our splurge each time. Even desserts it is usually ice cream. But even he loves the Fondue from Le Bistro, I used to get the anniversary package so we always ate there one night but with the big raise in price we skip it.

mew1

enjoy your cruise, by the way the fruit soups are SO delish, I often make them my dessert

Creme Brulee from Cagney's:

232323232%7Ffp5338%3B%3Enu%3D3264%3E588%3E939%3EWSNRCG%3D343%3B%3B29%3A3432%3Anu0mrj

and a favorite of my family:

232323232%7Ffp53398%3Enu%3D3264%3E588%3E939%3EWSNRCG%3D343%3B%3A%3A%3A28%3B32%3Anu0mrj

And don't forget the made to order dessert crepes in the buffet!!!! I ate my too fast and always forgot to get a photo....... It's amazing I had room for dessert after all those darned pretzel rolls.....

Remember you are on a cruise----just ask for one of everything!!!!!

Rabbit; in my expereince, the sugar free desserts have been very good...I am also diabetic and I find them to be of good quality...

Vanilla bean souffle -- first night in the MDR -- but I order it no matter where we are eating. Of course the chocolate fondue in LeBistro. The coconut ice cream in the asian-fusion restaurant is amazing! Creme brulee is great, as are the chocolate covered strawberries. Have never had the dessert crepes -- maybe next time!

Rabbit; in my expereince, the sugar free desserts have been very good...I am also diabetic and I find them to be of good quality...

wow! that's awesome news! I was about to resort to sneaking on some homemade carrot cake lololol.

Archived