Pickelball

Bloemerl

Does anyone know if any of the ships have pickelball courts or if they have any pickelball activity onboard. Since there are so many Florida residents on the HAL ships it seems that there would be a trend to do that. Even here in Michigan pickelball is getting to be more popular and the pickelball court dimensions are being painted onto existing tennis courts.

How long before we see this on ships as it takes so little room.

On my recent cruise, I did not see anything having to do with pickleball. Also, I do not think that there were tennis courts on the Rotterdam, so that might present a logistical issue.
The deck plans show one on the Sports Deck, port side, back near the smokestacks.

OP: Isn't the "tennis" on ship more like a paddle-ball already? How much different is that from pickleball?

Edited by jtl513

We played pickleball in P.E. growing up. I always assumed it was a game the teachers made up since they didn't want us winging tennis balls at each other!

Man, and here I thought it had something to do with an edible product, such as a cucumber, that has been preserved and flavored in a solution of brine or vinegar

• 5 years later...
Does anyone know if any of the ships have pickelball courts or if they have any pickelball activity onboard. Since there are so many Florida residents on the HAL ships it seems that there would be a trend to do that. Even here in Michigan pickelball is getting to be more popular and the pickelball court dimensions are being painted onto existing tennis courts.

How long before we see this on ships as it takes so little room.

I don't know but I heard that the Koningsdam will feature a Quidditch arena :p

Edited by kevingastreich

I don't know but I heard that the Koningsdam will feature a Quidditch arena :p

LOL.. Have to admit I googled Quidditch Arena.. That would be fun for me as have always wanted to try out a flying Broomstick..

Hmmm.. DH & my kids claim I have.. Wonder what they mean by that...:confused:

Edited by serendipity1499

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I disembarked 2 days ago, and yes, it does.

Awesome! Thanks a lot. Did the ship provide the equipment? Or did people bring their own paddles and balls? For those who don't know, pickleball is played with a solid paddle (usually graphite) and whiffle ball (plastic, hollow, holey ball). It's a mix of tennis and badminton.

They were playing Pickelball on the Koningsdam about 2 weeks ago and the notice for it was in the daily Navigator.

Where were they playing it? We were on the Koningsdam back in July and all we saw was a basketball court. Do they temporarily put up a net in the BB court area during special times for organized tournaments or do they have a separate pickle ball court we overlooked? We're not into "tournament" play, but the DW and I like to burn off a few calories and leisurely hit the ball back and forth.

Where were they playing it? We were on the Koningsdam back in July and all we saw was a basketball court. Do they temporarily put up a net in the BB court area during special times for organized tournaments or do they have a separate pickle ball court we overlooked? We're not into "tournament" play, but the DW and I like to burn off a few calories and leisurely hit the ball back and forth.

Deck 11 in the area called "Sport Court" on the deck plan (midship). They had a net set up for it. I think this area is normally used for other sports as well.