Late flight after cruise?

lunyma

Our flight doesn't leave FLL till 4 PM, and we were wondering what other people do when they have such a late flight. There will be 6 of us, and we were thinking of getting a day pass to a hotel with a pool, bar, and restaurant. Has anyone ever done this before, and do you know what hotels offer this? Or any other suggestions on how to kill the time other than sitting at the airport?

Our flight doesn't leave FLL till 4 PM, and we were wondering what other people do when they have such a late flight. There will be 6 of us, and we were thinking of getting a day pass to a hotel with a pool, bar, and restaurant. Has anyone ever done this before, and do you know what hotels offer this? Or any other suggestions on how to kill the time other than sitting at the airport?
Take one of the ships tours that are offered onboard and drop you off at the airport.

Take one of the ships tours that are offered onboard and drop you off at the airport.

Thanks, but I've done this once and it was boring as hell. Most of us have been to FLL a bunch of times, and don't really need a tour. It's nice that they hold your luggage in their van, but not worth the $$ IMO...

We were a party of 6 too and just got off the Oasis on 7/31 in FLL. Our flight wasn't until 5pm (which got pushed bck to 6pm) so we arranged to go back to the hotel we stayed at the pre cruise night. They charged us 89- for the day but it is difficult to guarantee a room in the morning. We requested it in advance before leaving for our cruise but no guarantees. Luckily we only had to wait 30-45 mins. We know how we feel after a cruise...esp those who stay up all night so we really just wanted a place to relax and sleep until heading for the airport...this worked out fine for us. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in FLL Beach..this is the one right across from the beach and near many stores, places to eat w/out needing a car.

A day room would be my choice, too! You'll likely be off the ship before 9am...and having some place to call "home" will really make the day easy.

Having the pool, a bathroom, shower, etc...will ensure that you are comfortable for your later flight!

With 6 people, that's probably the economical way to go. If it was just 2 of you, I'd recommend comparing the price of a hotel or exursion to changing to an earlier flight!

My son and DIL had a 7pm flight after a cruise. When they got to the airport, they were able to change to a 1pm flight for a charge of $50/pp (Delta).

This would be an alternative to getting a day room. Of course if there are 6 of you it adds up.

We were a party of 6 too and just got off the Oasis on 7/31 in FLL. Our flight wasn't until 5pm (which got pushed bck to 6pm) so we arranged to go back to the hotel we stayed at the pre cruise night. They charged us 89- for the day but it is difficult to guarantee a room in the morning. We requested it in advance before leaving for our cruise but no guarantees. Luckily we only had to wait 30-45 mins. We know how we feel after a cruise...esp those who stay up all night so we really just wanted a place to relax and sleep until heading for the airport...this worked out fine for us. We stayed at the Courtyard Marriott in FLL Beach..this is the one right across from the beach and near many stores, places to eat w/out needing a car.

thanks, Tezbear. Did you book the room in advance? And did you taxi over there? I tried to book a room at Embassy Suites for the day (where we're staying pre-cruise), but they can't guarantee they'll have one available in the morning. For 6 of us, it really is the most economical thing to do. As for late departure off the ship, I think you still have to get off the ship by noon. Not gonna help, and not worth the cost. I guess I need to make some direct phone calls to some hotels.

Hi Lunyma.....we waited until we stayed at the hotel for pre-cruise (that way they could see us in person) and asked them about the room for the day of our return. While they couldn't guarantee anything in the morning, the guy took note in the computer and gave me his card. When we arrived there that morning around 10amish (we got off the ship betw 9-9:30...that is the latest time for everyone) they told us no room yet as they were a full house but they were quick to check on rooms, etc. We hung out in the lobby and had a room w/in 30 mins or so. We then checked out around 5pm as one of our flights got pushed back. The hotel also had free internet/printer access on the first floor so we were able to print our boarding passes. They actually gave us a nice room...it was a little suite and had a king and a pull out bed in separate room. My boys who are all college age, loved this as they were exhausted from the night before and a week of drinking!!

Hi Lunyma.....we waited until we stayed at the hotel for pre-cruise (that way they could see us in person) and asked them about the room for the day of our return. While they couldn't guarantee anything in the morning, the guy took note in the computer and gave me his card. When we arrived there that morning around 10amish (we got off the ship betw 9-9:30...that is the latest time for everyone) they told us no room yet as they were a full house but they were quick to check on rooms, etc. We hung out in the lobby and had a room w/in 30 mins or so. We then checked out around 5pm as one of our flights got pushed back. The hotel also had free internet/printer access on the first floor so we were able to print our boarding passes. They actually gave us a nice room...it was a little suite and had a king and a pull out bed in separate room. My boys who are all college age, loved this as they were exhausted from the night before and a week of drinking!!

Good idea to wait till you get there, but what if there are no rooms available at all? Then we'd have to taxi to another hotel. I just like to have all my ducks in a row, so to speak, before I leave home.

I'm sure there will be at least 1 room for the day as many check out on Saturdays for the cruise, etc. There is no way they can guarantee a room for an early arrival..they couldn't do this for us either on our pre-cruise stay since we had a red-eye and arrived early. Worse case scenario is that you just won't get one as soon as you arrive in the morning. The only way to guarantee is to pay full price and book the room for the whole night..We had used the same driver that we used going to the Port. We just made arrangements w/ him in advance to pick us up, etc. The hotel we used also had a shuttle to the airport so we used them for that only.

I'm sure there will be at least 1 room for the day as many check out on Saturdays for the cruise, etc. There is no way they can guarantee a room for an early arrival..they couldn't do this for us either on our pre-cruise stay since we had a red-eye and arrived early. Worse case scenario is that you just won't get one as soon as you arrive in the morning. The only way to guarantee is to pay full price and book the room for the whole night..We had used the same driver that we used going to the Port. We just made arrangements w/ him in advance to pick us up, etc. The hotel we used also had a shuttle to the airport so we used them for that only.

I suppose you're right about people checking out Saturday mornings for a cruise departure, but who knows how long before they can get a room cleaned. We also have an early morning arrival on the 19th (Sunday). For the price we paid for our airline tickets, it was well worth it to take the chance of getting our rooms early. We really like Embassy Suites, but they charge for their shuttle now (used to be free to the port), so we'll need a taxi van. I have to work the next few days, but I'm gonna make some phone calls on Wed and see what I can come up with.

This will not work for you $$$ wise since you have 6, but maybe it will help somebody else.

We found it cheaper to just rent a car to store our luggage in. The smallest car that could hold our bags and us. Our flight isn't until 7:55pm.:eek: That pretty much a full day. I didn't want to waste time waiting to see if we could get a room early at a chosen hotel.

The car opens up the ability to travel around for us to be stuck in one place. I highly doubt we would use the hotel pool or stay put for longer than an hour or two. That's just the way we are. :o

This will not work for you $$$ wise since you have 6, but maybe it will help somebody else.

We found it cheaper to just rent a car to store our luggage in. The smallest car that could hold our bags and us. Our flight isn't until 7:55pm.:eek: That pretty much a full day. I didn't want to waste time waiting to see if we could get a room early at a chosen hotel.

The car opens up the ability to travel around for us to be stuck in one place. I highly doubt we would use the hotel pool or stay put for longer than an hour or two. That's just the way we are. :o

That IS a good idea for 2 or 4 people maybe. In fact... DH and I did just that one time and went and got tattoos :).

Why not just go ahead and head to the airport after taking your time getting off the ship? With how many other people that will be heading to the airport, there could be multiple long lines between security, check-in, etc. Then that would save you some money, while not rushing to get something to eat for lunch and/or dinner. I know airport chairs aren't comfortable to 'relax' in, but I would think it'd be cheaper than getting 2 or 3 rooms at a hotel. Just my 2 cents.

Why not just go ahead and head to the airport after taking your time getting off the ship? With how many other people that will be heading to the airport, there could be multiple long lines between security, check-in, etc. Then that would save you some money, while not rushing to get something to eat for lunch and/or dinner. I know airport chairs aren't comfortable to 'relax' in, but I would think it'd be cheaper than getting 2 or 3 rooms at a hotel. Just my 2 cents.

There's no question that going straight to the airport would be cheaper, but we don't want to sit there for 7 hours. Security and check in don't take that long!

Whatever you decide to do, I'd suggest considering the luggage valet service on board. You will receive information about this about midway through the cruise. Certain airlines participate, and if it applies to you, it costs $25.00 pp. You are checked in at the airport automatically and your luggage is checked to your final destination, so you will only have your carry ons with you upon disembarkation.

Great idea, especially if you spend the day wandering or exploring.

Have fun

Doreen

Whatever you decide to do, I'd suggest considering the luggage valet service on board. You will receive information about this about midway through the cruise. Certain airlines participate, and if it applies to you, it costs $25.00 pp. You are checked in at the airport automatically and your luggage is checked to your final destination, so you will only have your carry ons with you upon disembarkation.

Great idea, especially if you spend the day wandering or exploring.

Have fun

Doreen

I don't think Spirit Airlines participates :(

I'm just basing my post on my experience when we flew to San Juan for our cruise, when they disembarked 3 or 4 cruise ships at once and it was pure chaos! Even flying first thing in the morning, unrelated to cruising, I've seen security be pretty long. You just never know.

Have not done this at Fort Lauderdale. But done it at other ports when we have had a late flight after the cruise. Well worth it as you can relax, and have a meal and freshen up before the long flight home.

Archived