Checked Baggage and contraband

jim in cleveland

Are you aware of anyone being caught SMUGGLING bottles of water in their checked bags? I would assume the cruise line uses x-ray scanners.

You can not smuggle water. You can only smuggle something that you are not allowed to bring aboard and you are allowed to bring bottles of water on board with you. Since it is allowed, bringing it on is not smuggling.

The only thing liquid I've read about people smuggling on board is alcoholic beverages beyond the allowed two bottles of wine. And, yes, I've read reports of people who smuggled the alcoholic beverages having it found in their checked bags. But you should have no problems with your water.

I really DID mean water. I spoke with a Customer Service Rep and was told I could not bring a case of water on board. At $4 a case vs $2.50 a bottle it would be worth a stop on the way to the dock. I really don't want to pack single bottles.

We used to bring water with us all the time and no problem. That was before Celebrity started to sell water packages. Now I guess it depends on the port and security. In Cape Liberty, you could have brought on a case of wine, they were very laxed, other ports I don't know.

Pat

While I have read reports here of Celebrity's customer service, I've never read of anyone having any issues actually taking bottled water on board.

Celebrity's customer service has a very bad reputation on these discussion boards for giving out inaccurate answers.

We've never even attempted to conceal bottled water - and a few times have just carried an 8 pack or shrink wrapped case on board by itself and not in any luggage or even a shopping sack, and never had anyone blink an eye. We've done this as recently as cruise last March on the Millennium sailing out of San Juan.

I really DID mean water. I spoke with a Customer Service Rep and was told I could not bring a case of water on board. At $4 a case vs $2.50 a bottle it would be worth a stop on the way to the dock. I really don't want to pack single bottles.

Customer Service Reps are clueless. You can't believe anything they tell you. Want 8 different answers to your question? Call and talk to 8 different CSRs. Sometimes I wonder if they work for a different cruiseline!

Larry is right, no problem bringing on a case of water.

If you book AQ on the S class, you receive all the bottled water you can drink. Otherwise, the faucet water on the other categories is just fine. I believe that bottled water is a major scam; and, the only reason I drink it is it is free. Otherwise, I have no problem with tap water, both at home and when we are not in AQ, which is seldom.

We brought 2 cases of water on board a couple weeks ago. I slapped a luggage tag on each, and checked it curbside w/the rest of our luggage. It showed up outside our cabin door 2 hours later w/o incident.

We brought 2 cases of water on board a couple weeks ago. I slapped a luggage tag on each, and checked it curbside w/the rest of our luggage. It showed up outside our cabin door 2 hours later w/o incident.

We always bring bottled water on board with us and it hasn't been a problem. Most recent sailing was Mercury Nov 2009.

For our 16-night Med/Adriatic Eclipse cruise in October, we will use your great idea to 'check in' two cases of water. Sure beats lugging it as carry on or finding space to stash bottles in the luggage.

Linda

Archived