Choosing a Vancouver hotel...

galipemi

I am travelling to Vancouver to join my ship on Oct. 2. We'll be arriving on the first around 4pm and plan on grabbing a cab down to a hotel in the pier area. I've decided I want to stay right down at the terminal and am trying to decide between the Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront or Fairmont Pacific Rim. So, I thought I'd pose the question here... which of these 3 would you choose and why?

TIA,

Michelle

I've stayed at all three. Fairmont Pacific Rim 100% without question.

- it's the newest / most modern

- it's the nicest

- it's the coolest (European / Asian fusion in feel & design)

- it's not yet rated, because it hasn't been open long enough, but will likely receive an extremely high rating (if not the highest in the city)

- it's got an entire floor that is all spa (the 5th floor I believe)

Basically there are zero downsides to choosing the Fairmont Pacific Rim (if you're considering hotels in this price range / vicinity)

I go with the Pan Pacific. Great hotel and the most convenient to the pier.

Keith

True; you could just take the elevator from the cruise terminal up to the Pan Pacific... or you could take a taxi for all of 2 minutes to the Fairmont Pacific Rim and have an experience you'll rave about to friends and family. Totally up to you. :cool:

I'd choose the Pan Pacific for its amazing location at the cruise terminal.

I'm staying at the Fairmont Waterfront due to the price difference. I must say, the service I've received so far from the Fairmont Waterfront has been outstanding and helpful.

Have heard great things so far about the Fairmont Pacific Rim. Would try it another time, when proximity to the cruise terminal is not my #1 concern.

The "downside" to both Fairmont Waterfront and Pan Pacific are that if you want to go shopping (Hermes, Chanel, LV, Tiffany) it is an uphill climb getting there. Of course, it is all downhill back to the hotel once you are loaded with packages. :D Also uphill to restaurants not associated with the hotels, whereas I **think** Fairmont Pacific Rim is located with easier access (not as much uphill walking) to the downtown restaurants.

We'll be taking a cab to get to whatever spot we pick for dinner on our pre-cruise night.

It's a pick'em all 3 are excellent hotels and 3 of the top 10 in Vancouver. The Pan Pacific has the advantage of forming part of Canada Place, the Fairmont Waterfront will deliver your luggage across the street to the pier, the Fairmont Pacific Rim is brand new, just got open pre-Olympics. It's a nice dilemma to have but you will enjoy which ever one you choose.:)

I am travelling to Vancouver to join my ship on Oct. 2. We'll be arriving on the first around 4pm and plan on grabbing a cab down to a hotel in the pier area. I've decided I want to stay right down at the terminal and am trying to decide between the Pan Pacific, Fairmont Waterfront or Fairmont Pacific Rim. So, I thought I'd pose the question here... which of these 3 would you choose and why?

Why grab a cab? The skytrain (subway) is 1/3 the price (for two people), and you can spend that extra $25 you save on the nicer hotel. Skytrain runs from YVR to Waterfront (2-3 blocks from the hotels you listed)

IMHO, the Pan Pacific trades more on its location than its quality. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with it exactly but it kind of rests on its great-spot laurels. I would go Fairmont every time. Fab service, great rooms. They'll even supply you with workout clothes & running shoes if you didn't pack your own. Fairmont has an edge over Pan Pacific for quality.

And, Vancouver is the only city with multiple Fairmont's (true story).

There are 4 in the "Vancouver area" (Vancouver Airport, Waterfront, Pacific Rim... and then in Whistler; which as most know is not Vancouver, but actually about 2 hours drive from Vancouver give or take).

I've stayed at all of them and IMO the best one is the Pacific Rim.

You actually forgot to mention the grand old lady of the group - the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver located at the center of the downtown core at Georgia and Burrard.

Cheers

Dennis

Guess that means there are four in greater Vancouver with a fifth at Whistler, eh!;)

I'd choose the Pan Pacific for its amazing location at the cruise terminal.

I'm staying at the Fairmont Waterfront due to the price difference. I must say, the service I've received so far from the Fairmont Waterfront has been outstanding and helpful.

I get the same rate for both when I plug in our dates, but the Pan Pacific cruise package was cheaper this year and included breakfast. (They still haven't listed anything for 2011.) Is there something comparable at the Fairmont Waterfront? We've decided to splurge for the convenience of having our luggage delivered for us and being right there on the morning of the cruise. If we choose the Pan Pacific, we won't pay extra for a waterfront room, so it doesn't make any differennce if we're across the street as long as they'll handle our luggage for us.

Thanks everyone for the help. I've decided to go with the Fairmont Waterfront. It's convenient to the ship and less expensive than the Pan Pacific and will take our bags to the ship. Sounds good to me :D

As to your question, scottbee, I'm grabbing a taxi just because we're not even close to light packers. Between two of us there will likely be 2 carry on's, 2 purses/bags, 3 suitcases. It's a lot to deal with on the skytrain. We may even try to grab the airporter. Is it still running? IIRC, the bus ran from the airport to major downtown hotels for about $13/pp. Although, at that price, we might be just as close to grab the cab anyways.

Guess that means there are four in greater Vancouver with a fifth at Whistler, eh!;)

Wow; I can't believe I forgot about that one! It's right next to "the vag" (AKA the Vancouver Art Gallery). OK so 4 + Whistler... + Fairmont Empress in Victoria (a stretch, but on "Vancouver Island").

Thanks everyone for the help. I've decided to go with the Fairmont Waterfront. It's convenient to the ship and less expensive than the Pan Pacific and will take our bags to the ship. Sounds good to me :D

As to your question, scottbee, I'm grabbing a taxi just because we're not even close to light packers. Between two of us there will likely be 2 carry on's, 2 purses/bags, 3 suitcases. It's a lot to deal with on the skytrain. We may even try to grab the airporter. Is it still running? IIRC, the bus ran from the airport to major downtown hotels for about $13/pp. Although, at that price, we might be just as close to grab the cab anyways.

I am certain that you will be very happy with your decision. The old Airporter closed up shop last fall when the Canada Line came into being...which is a bit of a shame.

Wow; I can't believe I forgot about that one! It's right next to "the vag" (AKA the Vancouver Art Gallery). OK so 4 + Whistler... + Fairmont Empress in Victoria (a stretch, but on "Vancouver Island").

You are reaching unless you are flying.;)

I am certain that you will be very happy with your decision. The old Airporter closed up shop last fall when the Canada Line came into being...which is a bit of a shame.

You are reaching unless you are flying.;)

Are you suggesting that I'm on drugs? lol. Just kidding.

I get the same rate for both when I plug in our dates, but the Pan Pacific cruise package was cheaper this year and included breakfast. (They still haven't listed anything for 2011.) Is there something comparable at the Fairmont Waterfront? We've decided to splurge for the convenience of having our luggage delivered for us and being right there on the morning of the cruise. If we choose the Pan Pacific, we won't pay extra for a waterfront room, so it doesn't make any differennce if we're across the street as long as they'll handle our luggage for us.

Yes Fairmont Waterfront will take your luggage to the terminal. Haven't done it yet, so not exactly sure how it works :) Can let you know in about 5 weeks.

I tried a variety of "rates" at the Pan Pacific, and every one that I got was stretching my budget beyond comfort! So I phoned them, and the Waterfront, and the Waterfront was able to offer me an "early saver" rate or something.... saying it was a limited time offer. It had to be paid in full immediately on booking and is non-refundable. So I grabbed it. As for breakfast, I'll be heading to either Starbucks or Tim Horton's and taking it back to the room. So we weren't looking for anything that had a breakfast included in the price. That might make a difference to you.

My travel companion has limited mobility, and won't be able to manage much or any walking. Or any of her own luggage. So I decided that for my sanity I had to be as close to the terminal as I could afford. And the Fairmont Waterfront squeaked in slightly less than my psychological limit :)

IMHO it is always worth a call directly to the hotel(s) under consideration -- the actual property is often able to do better on a rate than you get thru their central reservations # or the website.

Yes Fairmont Waterfront will take your luggage to the terminal. Haven't done it yet, so not exactly sure how it works :) Can let you know in about 5 weeks.

I tried a variety of "rates" at the Pan Pacific, and every one that I got was stretching my budget beyond comfort! So I phoned them, and the Waterfront, and the Waterfront was able to offer me an "early saver" rate or something.... saying it was a limited time offer. It had to be paid in full immediately on booking and is non-refundable. So I grabbed it. As for breakfast, I'll be heading to either Starbucks or Tim Horton's and taking it back to the room. So we weren't looking for anything that had a breakfast included in the price. That might make a difference to you.

My travel companion has limited mobility, and won't be able to manage much or any walking. Or any of her own luggage. So I decided that for my sanity I had to be as close to the terminal as I could afford. And the Fairmont Waterfront squeaked in slightly less than my psychological limit :)

IMHO it is always worth a call directly to the hotel(s) under consideration -- the actual property is often able to do better on a rate than you get thru their central reservations # or the website.

I was wondering where you ended up, I am sure that you will be very pleased with the hotel. For sure they will take your luggage across the street to the porters. Hope you enjoy you stay in Vancouver. Oh, and don't forget to wave to me on the way by.:)

I was wondering where you ended up, I am sure that you will be very pleased with the hotel. For sure they will take your luggage across the street to the porters. Hope you enjoy you stay in Vancouver. Oh, and don't forget to wave to me on the way by.:)

Travelling with some friends who have taken a suite on the starboard side, so watch for 4 wimmen waving at you :) from the Nav Deck, Ryndam Sept 12..... what time should we be doing it? :D

Fairmont Waterfront staff were VERY helpful re my friend, got us a room near the elevators, and the bell desk will be taking her across in a wheelchair. I am paying more than I wanted to, but the convenience is SO worth it.... just someone else dealing with the luggage is worth the (small) premium we will be paying. Just means 1 bottle of wine less :) onboard. Again, your help for our trip has been most appreciated. You've gone above & beyond.

Ryndam, Sept 12 from Vancouver, so you might be home from your cruise.... unless you decide to stay over in Vancouver before heading home!

If you're home, I'm pretty certain you'll hear us, even if the fog is socked in -- I suspect I'm travelling with rabblerousers :D

Bon Voyage -- 14 days -- bliss!

About an hour after you pass under the Lions Gate Bridge look to starboard...I'll be waiving. On which ship and date are you leaving? I will be on a cruise myself for 14 days starting Aug 28th.:)

Putterdude, I waved at you a couple of weeks ago and you did not wave back. I am not taking it personally. I am assuming you went in for a bathroom break and missed me.

Viv

Putterdude, I waved at you a couple of weeks ago and you did not wave back. I am not taking it personally. I am assuming you went in for a bathroom break and missed me.

Viv

I saw the Mercury on that Sunday evening while I was buring some ribs and I saw someone waving .... sorry Viv...didn't know it was you.;)

Nay he was probably filling the glass with some more ice and a little single malt whiskey.

Cheers

Dennis

This time of the year it is Stoli or on occasion....just maybe Grey Goose...how many times to I have to tell you.;) If I had known it was Viv, for sure it would have been the Goose.

Archived