Stroller for a toddler in Pompeii? Too bumpy?

*Jen*

We'll be in Pompeii next month (Naples port), and I'm trying to decide if we want to have an umbrella stroller for our two year old. Is an umbrella stroller practical there given all the cobblestones/uneven pathways? Will it just be so terribly bumpy that he's pissed off sitting in it and I'm annoyed by pushing it?

We usually wear him (backpack) or he walks, so it's not a huge issue. I just don't want to lug the stroller all the way there only to not be able to comfortably use it.

Thanks!

We'll be in Pompeii next month (Naples port), and I'm trying to decide if we want to have an umbrella stroller for our two year old. Is an umbrella stroller practical there given all the cobblestones/uneven pathways? Will it just be so terribly bumpy that he's pissed off sitting in it and I'm annoyed by pushing it?

We usually wear him (backpack) or he walks, so it's not a huge issue. I just don't want to lug the stroller all the way there only to not be able to comfortably use it.

Thanks!

Personally, I would not take a 2 year old on a tour of Pompeii. The paths are rough and the heat can be unbearable at times. You would not want to tumble with him on your back.

Thanks!

In my view, if the stroller has small wheels, you should definately forget it.

2008701834_Sorrento004.jpg.ce2f93553875f3dddfd4e5e808d396d8.jpg

Personally, I would not take a 2 year old on a tour of Pompeii. The paths are rough and the heat can be unbearable at times. You would not want to tumble with him on your back.

Sorry, but I have to agree with this. An excellent alternative is Herculaneum - the roads are not quite as bumpy, it's a smaller site and has more areas where you can find shade.

Use the backpack carrier? Just be warrned make sure it has an umbrella if you are goin during the heat of summer and that in some of the places such as the Roman baths the space could be tight.

If he walks hold his hand, many many steps and bumps.

Enjoy

Thanks!

If you decide to substitute Herculeneum (Ercolano in Italian) for Pompei, it has the added benefit of being accessible by boat, which you can pick up right next to the cruise port on Molo Beverello.

We tried to do this a couple of weeks ago, having heard about it on these boards. When we tried to buy the tickets we were told that they probably wouldn't be able to dock in Ercolano because of the wind and the sea being too rough. It was a beautiful day with calm seas, so not sure why they said that :confused:

Most ruins are not places I'd take young kids - at least not to Pompeii, Acropolis or Ephesus. Many of these places you will be walking on uneven, uphill sometimes slippery surfaces in the heat. I loved all 3 of the above sites but I suspect any kid much under the age of middle school will eventually complain they are hot, tired and bored. Also be aware that in the US we have ramps due to ADA compliance. Not so in Europe so in many other places when you get to steps or curbs you'll have to lift or bounce a stroller, wheelchair or luggage over them. Venice was probably the worst - we ended our cruise there and stayed a few extra days. Room was not quite ready and niece refused to relinquish a small piece of luggage b/c it contained her electronics and we encountered a lot of steps up down and over all the bridges over canals until she could lock her netbook away in the safe.

NO SHADE anywhere!! Well, a sliver or two, but nothing that counts. That's more important to know with the little one. And I completely concur with everyone else--way too bumpy for a stroller of any kind. If you wear him in a backpack, it's going to be hot. One suggestion-if you truly want to go, and the weather is very hot, plan for a short time there with a fast guide, you will at least be able to see how much has been unearthed, but bring water and be prepared to leave. We went first thing in the morning, and it got hot pretty quickly.

We tried to do this a couple of weeks ago, having heard about it on these boards. When we tried to buy the tickets we were told that they probably wouldn't be able to dock in Ercolano because of the wind and the sea being too rough. It was a beautiful day with calm seas, so not sure why they said that :confused:

That's too bad ... but also a good reason to always have a "plan b" in your pocket when touring on your own.

That's too bad ... but also a good reason to always have a "plan b" in your pocket when touring on your own.

Actually we had a plan A - as we'd already planned to do it on the train - the ferry was our plan B which didn't work out unfortunately ;)

Herculaneum is easiest on the Bus. the bus stop is right outside the Port and it stops right outside the ruins. Practically no walking . Ask at the news stand for your ticket and the bus number stop etc. he is very helpfull.

Herculaneum is perfect for your little one and the stoller would work fine there. there is lots of shade and a nice cafe to get drinks. the site is smaller and more compact.

Thanks!

I totally concur with others about the state of the ground, very very uneven, with deep, deep ruts, lots of deep steps - not many flights of steps, but still a royal pain with a stroller.

And the heat + absence of shade.

And the considerable amount of walking on site + serious shortage of places to sit & rest.

No fun for toddler or parent, and I'd very strongly caution against Pompeii with a toddler.

Easiest for you to leave junior chained-up in your state-room, and junior would actually find that more enjoyable :D

Unfortunately namby-pamby child protection agencies get up-tight about such simple solutions :rolleyes:

I've never been to Herculaneum, but judging from this thread it seems like a good compromise.

JB

Easiest for you to leave junior chained-up in your state-room, and junior would actually find that more enjoyable :D

Unfortunately namby-pamby child protection agencies get up-tight about such simple solutions :rolleyes:

You are my new board crush. :D

with respect to having the child hold your hand and walk if he can - don't do it! My eight year old had the hardest time just walking in many of the ruins (Acropolis, Ephesus, Pompeii) due to the uneven and often slippery walkways. She had to hold hands most of the time, and even then it was hard. She loved all the sigts, but walking at times seemed to un-nerve her!

If Pompeii is a must see for you, be warned it will be very hard with a stroller or backback - maybe see about on board sitting that day. The child won't really get anything out of the tour, and you will be worried constantly.

If you go to Pompeii with your 2 year old, go very early in the morning. We were there last week. We used Rome in Limo and were picked up right on the dock at 8AM and driven straight to Pompeii. We were among the first people in when it opened, so the morning was still relatively cool and pleasant. By the time we left a couple of hours later, the sun was bearing down and droves of tourist groups were arriving.

Thanks for all the tips, everyone!

We'll see the weather is doing that day and plan accordingly. We live/play in Alabama heat and humidity, so it would have to be record heat in Italy to really put much of a damper on his spirits (we'll have portable shade for him via an umbrella).

Archived