How do you know if there is a formal night?

kmacht

Hi,

We are booked on the destiny leaving in just over a week. It is a 4 night cruise to key west and cozumel. My question is, how do you know if there is a formal night? None of the literature that we have mentions it. My wife and I would both prefer to not have to pack another set of "dressier" clothes just for the one night but also don't want to be stuck eating at the buffet one of the four nights. So how do you know, and is it a requirement or just a suggested formal night.

Keith

You'll have one Elegant Evening on your cruise...

Cruise Elegant Evenings

The length of the cruise determines the number of Cruise Elegant evenings in the Dining Room. The first Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day of the cruise; the second Cruise Elegant evening is scheduled for the 2nd or 3rd day prior to the end of the cruise, schedules permitting.

1-day cruise: none

2-day to 5-day cruise: one Cruise Elegant evening

6-day or longer cruise: two Cruise Elegant evenings

:)

I did a little googling on elegant evenings at carnival - thanks. I just want to make sure I have it right though. The dress code for dinner doesn't really change, it is just that you can choose to dress up a little more if you want. Other cruises I have been on I usually were a pair of dress pants and a three button polo shirt with a collar and some dress shoes. Am I to assume this would be acceptable on both normal and "formal" nights?

Keith

Your elegant night will be the evening of the Key West day.

I was just thinking about this subject. My mom has been on a couple cruises with he last one being an Alaskan on Carnival in 2008. I mentioned finding a dress for elegant night on my future cruise and she had no idea what I was talking about. She had never heard of elegant or formal night and has always just worn capris or pants to dinner. I asked her if she ever wondered why there were a lot of people dressed up for dinner on 2 nights of her last cruise and she acted like I was crazy. She doesn't notice things like that - never pays attention to what people are wearing and the cruise literature she got didn't say anything about a formal night.

How do people who have never cruised and don't do the internet know that they should bring formal wear for their cruise?

:) Kerry

We do enjoy the more formal attires since we treat it like a "date night". Now in saying that, I have noticed that we always ask each other if we're packing a suit / dress or are we going more casual. With eachp assing cruise, our votes are leaning more toward the casual and ditch packing the suits/dresses. It's more the packing issue than it is the actual getting dressed up to us.

I also do not pay much attention to what anyone else is wearing (with short skirt exceptions ;)).....

Archived