Help! Which would you chose for Nice?

DrivesLikeMario

We want something to do for a half day only, but are conflicted as to what to do. Which is the best option to get a real feel for Southern France?

1. Do a private tour with Revelation Tours (Alain) for a half-day from the Port of Nice to St. Paul de Vence and Antibes - cost is 360Euros with tip for just the two of us (cannot find anyone who hasn't already figured out what they want to do there that wants to share in this tour)

OR:

2. Walk around le Promenade des Anglais, take a taxi to Eze and walk around and browse through the shops - cost is less than 100Euros

OR:

3. Do a cruise line tour called "Monaco and Monte Carlo on your own" - cost is $158 USD

Thank you for any help, insight or experience you have to share. :)

I agree with Moyaroo. If you are there in the morning have a look at the flower market, walk along the promenade, have a drink and snack at La Rotonde at the Hotel Negresco ow000403.htmthen lunch in Eze.

v3p4z.jpg

I have not yet been to Eze but believe it to be well worth visiting and easy to get to with public transport.

I would love to go to the Flower Market. It was originally #1 on our agenda for the day, but our itinerary has changed and now we're in Nice on Monday. :(

Thanks for your input, both of you. We're going with what you suggested.

Now, if we take the bus to Eze, I understand we should try to get the 112 to Eze Village because the 110 stops quite a long way below Eze and would involve a long uphill trek to the actual town. Does that sound right?

Where would we catch the bus from the port? I know the schedules are unusual and you have to a bit of guessing with the times since they go by the time the route starts, not the time they're at your stop. I think I'll look for a website for the bus system. Or, if anyone has the details, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again for the advice! :)

Now, if we take the bus to Eze, I understand we should try to get the 112 to Eze Village because the 110 stops quite a long way below Eze and would involve a long uphill trek to the actual town. Does that sound right?

Where would we catch the bus from the port?

Not exactly certain of the Nice port location (we docked in Villefranche) but according to this CC article, it sounds like you'll be here.

You could take bus #82 which has a couple of stops within 10-15 minutes walking of the port: Le Port stop & Max Barel stop

Here's the Schedule for #82, which provides the time that the bus arrives at each stop. To reverse the direction, highlight the appropriate circle in the box titled "Journey date and options" ... you can also get the schedule for the date that you'll be there.

You can also take #112...the schedule for #112 is only posted as a pdf file on this site. If you scroll down below the schedule times, there is a map of stops and it shows that it also stops at the two stops I mentioned above. Since it only takes a few minutes to go from the starting point in Nice (Gare Routiere) to the port stops, I would just use the starting time as the time to be at the port stops.

If you have the schedules for #82 and #112 for both directions, to Eze and return, I think it should be fairly easy to use the bus without having to stand around waiting for it. Best of all, it's only 1 euro pp each way on the bus ... so you can splurge on lunch with the money that you've saved by not taking a taxi.:)

I would try to get confirmation though of exactly where you'll be docked in Nice because if I'm wrong, then this whole plan will have to be reworked!

p.s. re your question about #100 ... it follows the coastal road and you would need to transfer at Eze bord du Mer to #83 to travel up to Eze Village. I would avoid that route since 82 and 112 are direct routes from Nice to Eze Village.

Great information, Susan, thank you!! I had trouble viewing the schedules last night, so will take a look at your links today. I was aiming for the 112, but it's good to have the 82 too. And yes - that was my thought: maybe we'll take the inexpensive bus then spend a little more on lunch, pottery, perfume or other souvenirs. ;)

Thanks so much for the help everyone - I appreciate it! :)

You're welcome.:) I find the easiest way to access the schedules on the Ligne d'azur site is to enter the route number in the white box beside the word "Line" - middle, right side of the page.

A bit more info on using the bus ... you can pay the driver (try to have small change) and be sure to validate your ticket in the machine on the bus.

Agree on the Eze, middle option as both cost-effective and a great, fun location. Here are my notes on Eze and a couple of visual samples for what you can see and experience there.

COASTAL SUGGESTION: The old village of Eze, along the coast between Nice and Monaco, hangs up in the mountains above the water and crowds. It's wonderful to visit. Great, great views! Totally charming! Have lunch or dinner there at one of the two great eating places and feel like you're sitting on the edge of paradise! We ate at the Château Eza. Its website: http://www.chateauezarestaurant.com. At 1,407 feet above the Mediterranean, Eze offers commanding views of cliffs, sea, sprawling estates and off-shore islands. The village's narrow streets or more really paths among the buildings lead to the Jardin Exotique It is a maze of paths flanked by mammoth flowering plants and spiky cactuses. For about $3, you can walk up to the best view on the French Riviera. On a clear day, you can see Corsica! It does not get much better than Eze. Their tourism office:

http://www.eze-riviera.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

The charming mountain top village of Eze is nearby and offers great view along the coast:

EzeBldgView.jpg

This picture shows more of the gardens at the top of Eze that offers great views along the coast:

EzeCactusView.jpg

Great information and terrific pics, Terry, thanks! :)

THANKS for the nice comments! Are you doing the Rome to Rome cruise that hits Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Portofino, Villefranche, Barcelona and Sorrento? Lots of super nice places along that route. Let us know if you need more tips or ideas for these various areas with many great potential options. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

THANKS for the nice comments! Are you doing the Rome to Rome cruise that hits Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Portofino, Villefranche, Barcelona and Sorrento? Lots of super nice places along that route. Let us know if you need more tips or ideas for these various areas with many great potential options. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yes, Terry, but Portofino is no more. It's been substituted with Tunisia and the whole itinerary has been changed less than 6 weeks prior to sailing. They offered us all $100pp OBC in compensation, but we're all pretty disappointed not to be going to Portofino. Rearranging our tours and plans at the last minute has been a big hassle. :rolleyes: But, we're going to places I've never been before, so DH and I are excited anyway! :)

Great information and terrific pics, Terry, thanks! :)

BTW - I did notice recently that the cost is now $5 per person. ;)

Agree...Terry's photos are wonderful!

$5 (or 5 euros) ... more than worth it for one of the best scenic places (and memories) of your trip ... the views from Le Jardin are spectacular!

Enjoy your cruise!:)

The two stops for #82 that I provided links of maps for in my post above, are also stops for #112 ... both stops are near the port.

Thanks, Susan. I've been trying since yesterday and I cannot increase the bus map in size to see where the stops are and what busses stop there. Thanks again.

They opened fine this time, thanks again! I had all kinds of trouble with my computer last night with it freezing up every time I went to print.

I just printed one map and put all 3 pinpoints on it - Le Port stop, Max Barrel stop and where our ship should be docking. Your information has been so helpful. Thank you so very, very much! :)

Someone mentioned that a taxi to Eze is less than 100 euros.

Is this round trip, and includes the tip? And how long is the ride? Thanks.

Harry

The distance from Nice (port area) to Eze Village is about 6 miles ... and takes about 15-20 minutes (depending on traffic.)

Taxis are expensive in Nice. We flew from Newcastle UK to Nice airport and the cost from the airport to the Hotel in Nice was the same price! I think it may be 30 or 40 euro to anywhere but you could probably negotiate the price

Archived