Need suggestions for good walking shoes in europe

micruiser12

I would appreciate some suggestions for some comfortable and decent looking shoes for the anticipated walking I plan to do in Europe (not hiking, just walking) for a woman. Anybody out there have some good recommendations? I am hoping they will also be somewhat attractive if that is possible.:)

I am accustomed to wearing sandals all the time so wearing my gym shoes all over Europe was a big no-no. I got a pair of Easy Spirit mules - they look like tennis shoes but backless and the ones I have are black so they look a bit more attractive than the white ones which have the huge althletic shoe look. They are very lightweight so if you wanted to put them in your luggage they won't add many ounces. (We were in Europe last fall so it was too cold for sandals).

I remember a lengthy thread on this very subject over on the ports boards...it was either Italy or Greece, I believe. (Our last cruise went to Italy, Greece, Turkey, so it's one of those, otherwise I wouldn't have been reading it!) If you do a search over there you might turn up a bunch of info. I remember that people posted links to websites for shoes. CC people are so helpful! I read it all with interest, since none of us like to walk with hurting feet, but it is pretty subjective, like the quality of dining room food! ;)

My wife loves her Black Reebok walking shoes. They don't stand out so much as white shoes do. They are somewhat water resistant. I would not worry too much about looks. Find what's comfortable. Bad shoes and blisters can sure ruin a vacation.

My first trip to Europe I would have bet that DECENT and good looking could not be the same shoe. But over the years they have been better. I have Merrill, Clarks, Privos (made by clarks) Noats (an israeli company) These are all REALLY comfy walking shoes closed and sandals I have walked on on all surfaces all over Europe. ;);)

My first trip to Europe I would have bet that DECENT and good looking could not be the same shoe. But over the years they have been better. I have Merrill, Clarks, Privos (made by clarks) Noats (an israeli company) These are all REALLY comfy walking shoes closed and sandals I have walked on on all surfaces all over Europe. ;);)

These are all good suggestions. I wear SAS. The best thing would be to visit a shoe store that carries comfortable shoes and TRY THEM ON. What's good for one pair of feet may be horrible for another!

I wore Ecco walking sandals last Sept every day in the Med.

Take the brand recs and do trial at home. Because everyone has different feet and arches it's hard to say what will work for you.

If you order on Zappos.com, (HUGE selection of brands) you can return them for no charge. You'll have them within 48 hours. Buy a variety and see which works...if you don't want to actually hit the stores.

Mephisto shoes are also very comfortable. I like sandals, and their mobils are extremely comfortable, with a nice, padded footbed. Altina is my favorite of their sandals for comfort. Zappos.com is a good source for these shoes. Many of my friends like them as much as I do.

I love ECCO Yucatan sandals. I also just bought my 73 year old mother a pair for our cruise a few weeks ago. She now does not take them off! They retail for about $130 at The Walking Company or many sites online carry them.

I hope this helps.................

I've walked around Europe and China in my Merrells and my Geox. The Merrell Siren Ginger is a good all round walking sandal, I have three pair :) I also love my Geox sneakers - cute, but not at all clunky looking. No blisters and super comfortable.

I love ECCO Yucatan sandals. I also just bought my 73 year old mother a pair for our cruise a few weeks ago. She now does not take them off! They retail for about $130 at The Walking Company or many sites online carry them.

I hope this helps.................

That's the style I wore in the Med. :) I have high arches and this sandal has enough support that I didn't have to rotate shoes like I normally do. I intend on wearing them on our river cruise next month. The thick soles are perfect for old stone streets.

I wore these in Europe and I agree, they were incredibly comfortable. However, no matter how comfortable, I would make sure you take 2 pairs of comfy shoes so you can alternate.

The posters have given you some great suggestions!

When I first went to Europe, I was advised not to wear white sneakers as they would make me stand out as a tourist - an AMERICAN tourist.

I especially like the suggestion of taking lightweight walking shoes. In fact, I was shopping this AM and noted how light (and stylish, IMO) the Easy Spirit and Merrill shoes were.

Have fun shopping and enjoy yor cruise!

I would appreciate some suggestions for some comfortable and decent looking shoes for the anticipated walking I plan to do in Europe (not hiking, just walking) for a woman. Anybody out there have some good recommendations? I am hoping they will also be somewhat attractive if that is possible.:)

I am a walking aficionado. I walk for miles every day and not only on vacations. One would think that "walking shoes" would be the answer but they are not. I found that the most comfortable shoes for walking are sandals. My favorites are thong sandals. They feel like I am not wearing anything on my feet; nothing rubbing my heels or toes and causing pain and discomfort or calluses.

I know that many people would say that you need "support" while you walk but I found that not to be the case. Unless you have flat feet (or another medical condition) wearing thongs is as close to "natural" walking as is possible. And thongs can also be very smart and stylish and you will find many, if not most, elegant European women wear them and Europeans walk a lot more than Americans during an average day (I am originally from Europe). Very few wear sneakers.

You don't mention the season when you will be in Europe but if it is during warm weather, I would recommend (thong) sandals for comfort and beauty. That's just my opinion.

The posters have given you some great suggestions!

When I first went to Europe, I was advised not to wear white sneakers as they would make me stand out as a tourist - an AMERICAN tourist.

I especially like the suggestion of taking lightweight walking shoes. In fact, I was shopping this AM and noted how light (and stylish, IMO) the Easy Spirit and Merrill shoes were.

Have fun shopping and enjoy yor cruise!

Thank you EVERYONE for your very helpful replies plus the additional link to a previous discussion regarding shoes! I will check all of the suggestions out to see what would work best for me. Also, heard that wearing white sneakers is not a good idea in Europe for the reason you suggested. Of course many of us walk around with caps and t-shirts that probably give us away as Americans as well as our accents, but probably will go with a darker shoe.

How about a pair of Fit Flops, I wore them everyday on our Baltic cruise. I'm not sure they are as popular in the US as they are over here as all the women who were wearing them on the ship seemed to be British.

They're really comfy though and good for legs too.

Julie

I am a walking aficionado. I walk for miles every day and not only on vacations. One would think that "walking shoes" would be the answer but they are not. I found that the most comfortable shoes for walking are sandals. My favorites are thong sandals. They feel like I am not wearing anything on my feet; nothing rubbing my heels or toes and causing pain and discomfort or calluses.

I know that many people would say that you need "support" while you walk but I found that not to be the case. Unless you have flat feet (or another medical condition) wearing thongs is as close to "natural" walking as is possible. And thongs can also be very smart and stylish and you will find many, if not most, elegant European women wear them and Europeans walk a lot more than Americans during an average day (I am originally from Europe). Very few wear sneakers.

You don't mention the season when you will be in Europe but if it is during warm weather, I would recommend (thong) sandals for comfort and beauty. That's just my opinion.

How about a pair of Fit Flops, I wore them everyday on our Baltic cruise. I'm not sure they are as popular in the US as they are over here as all the women who were wearing them on the ship seemed to be British.

They're really comfy though and good for legs too.

Julie

I guess we think the same on this subject.

GeorgeL, have you ever checked out MBT's? They were designed from a tribe in Africa's walking habits and are very interesting. Sketchers now make a copy very similar.

We both have 3 pairs of MBT's and walk all the time too, they are getting some more attractive styles every day. I actually lost 5 # walking around London in them a few years ago, GREAT for shaping the butt & legs!:p

GeorgeL, have you ever checked out MBT's? They were designed from a tribe in Africa's walking habits and are very interesting. Sketchers now make a copy very similar.

We both have 3 pairs of MBT's and walk all the time too, they are getting some more attractive styles every day. I actually lost 5 # walking around London in them a few years ago, GREAT for shaping the butt & legs!:p

I have heard of these and IMHO (and opinion of most experts on this subject) these are simply hype and an advertising gimmick. Walking (especially walking uphill) is what shapes the butt and legs (and I can personaly testify to that effect :)) and not the type of shoe you wear.

I am quite sure that MBT's would also be quite a surprise to that tribe in Africa :) :) :)

I personally think they look even less attractive (to put it gently) than a regular sneaker.

I really do prefer thong sandals over just about any other walking shoe.

Archived