Need suggestions for good walking shoes in europe

micruiser12

GeorgeL, have you ever checked out MBT's? They were designed from a tribe in Africa's walking habits and are very interesting. Sketchers now make a copy very similar.

We both have 3 pairs of MBT's and walk all the time too, they are getting some more attractive styles every day. I actually lost 5 # walking around London in them a few years ago, GREAT for shaping the butt & legs!:p

My friend owns a pair and she did inform me that she actually thought they looked "cool". She mentioned nothing as far as their effectiveness in shaping her butt or legs but I noticed that she no longer wears them when she does her walking. It's back to thongs for her as well :)

I would appreciate some suggestions for some comfortable and decent looking shoes for the anticipated walking I plan to do in Europe (not hiking, just walking) for a woman. Anybody out there have some good recommendations? I am hoping they will also be somewhat attractive if that is possible.:)

Check out a website for women called Journey Women. It has a lot of good resources for women who travel. They suggest Echos ---- which are quite pricey but have a more European look about them.

If you opt for flip-flops, I highly recommend Chocos. They have multiple styles of other sandals too... a great arch that fits my foot well and I can wear them for miles. I also suggest Clarks clogs.

I think the big trick is to get used to standing on your feet for long periods of time. I'm a teacher and the start of the school year is always hard on my feet. I suggest picking your shoes early and then walking a lot before your trip. Heat can also be hard on your feet, but they will adjust if you slowly ease into standing for long periods of time.

I live in a small city and we don't have access to many of the brands listed above. But you can view them all and read multiple helpful reviews on the Zappos web-site. Be sure to follow reviewers advice on sizing too. I normally wear an 8 and 1/2 but Merrell's only come in 8 and 9. Sizing down on these shoes was the way to go.

I took a chance and ordered two pairs of Merrells (San Remo and Savannah) and one Privo (Bucky) based on reviews and I loved them all. The Merrell San Remos were so comfy that I ordered another pair. They were my "go to" shoe when walking the city streets of Italy and Greece this summer. Perfect comfort, no issues and stylish too! The free shipping on returns at Zappos make purchasing shoes on-line so easy and risk free.

I love Noats (an Israeli company.....specialty shoe stores often carry them or you can order them online @noat.com or google sellers) I bought several new pairs this Spring and walked on cobblestone surfaces all over Paris and they were great. Be sure to wear them a bit so they mold to your foot before the 'real deal'. Good luck!

I've had much success with Merrell sandals. One style, in particular, "Savannah" is extremely comfortable; I wore mine for 7 days straight, sightseeing in Amsterdam, as well as on many cruise shore excursions/day tours - never a blister, always very comfy.

www.shoes.com is a great place to buy Merrells, as well as many of the other brands suggested here: shipping is free, and if you need to return or exchange the shoes for another size, return shipping is also free. I believe the second Saturday of each month there is usually an online sale, too! :)

I love my Ecco Yarrahs, super lightweight, flexible, with good traction...but designed for someone who has strong feet.... DH prefers Merrell, provides more support for someone who needs it. I'd say #1 concern is, not slippping if it's raining (cobblestones very smooth & slippery) #2 cushion for your feet if you need it.

Hi, Sail Girl!

I have never purchased from Zappos. I've had such great service from/experience with shoes.com - never been disappointed (knock wood) and I've always found exactly what I was looking for, so I never had to look further! :)

Jill

I love Noats (an Israeli company.....specialty shoe stores often carry them or you can order them online @noat.com or google sellers) I bought several new pairs this Spring and walked on cobblestone surfaces all over Paris and they were great. Be sure to wear them a bit so they mold to your foot before the 'real deal'. Good luck!

I am wondering if you mean Naot? I have several of their shoes and they are great!

http://www.naot.com/

The shoes are expensive but last a very long time.

I would recommend Merrell Shoes for walking around Europe. They are so comfortable and come in a number of different styles.[/quote

I love my Merrells and wear them all the time --- and they served me well on my Adriatic cruise in May. I made it all the way up the Acropolis, so you know they got a workout! Actually, I brought 2 pair, which had been recommended on some of the message boards in case your feet get soaked along the way. Try http://www.merrell.com

I have a heel problem, so much so that I get cortisone shots. I can tell within 10 minutes if a shoe will hurt. I also have custom orthotics.

Many of the shoes mentioned above were on the suggested list of shoes suggested by my Dr.,but only 2 keep me completely pain free. I have purchased top of the line, merrells, Eccos, New Balance ( was custom fit for them) I paid high prices and returned all of them. The ONLY shoes that work 24/7 for me and my problems are the SAS Freetime and the Reebok DMS ( like walking on a cloud) While the SAS are expensive the Reebok are reasonable. So if you don't have a foot problem any of the above will work but if you have painful feet be careful what you choose. Although I love the shoes mentioned, some are not what they are cracked up to be at least if you have any prior foot injury or problems. Walk on carpet for a few days to see if they will work!!!!

I love my Mephisto sandals . Can walk for hours in them ( They are actually more comfortable then my custom orthodics and I don't get the plantar fasciatis heel pain that I use to get prior to wearing them)

I've walked around Europe and China in my Merrells and my Geox. The Merrell Siren Ginger is a good all round walking sandal, I have three pair :) I also love my Geox sneakers - cute, but not at all clunky looking. No blisters and super comfortable.

I saw this today on the Dr OZ show....to prevent blisters with new shoes:

Rub antiperspirant over the high risk areas of your foot (heels, sides of foot near toes...the widest portion) . It decreases sweating/moisture... which would increase your risk for blisters. :eek:

It seem like a great simple option to me...and always in my toiletries kit.

Hope you don't think its too "off topic"...but I really wanted to share it!:p

Hi, Sail Girl!

I have never purchased from Zappos. I've had such great service from/experience with shoes.com - never been disappointed (knock wood) and I've always found exactly what I was looking for, so I never had to look further! :)

Jill

I generally find that shoebuy.com has lower prices than Zappos for the exact same shoe.

I am a walking aficionado. I walk for miles every day and not only on vacations. One would think that "walking shoes" would be the answer but they are not. I found that the most comfortable shoes for walking are sandals. My favorites are thong sandals. They feel like I am not wearing anything on my feet; nothing rubbing my heels or toes and causing pain and discomfort or calluses.

I know that many people would say that you need "support" while you walk but I found that not to be the case. Unless you have flat feet (or another medical condition) wearing thongs is as close to "natural" walking as is possible. And thongs can also be very smart and stylish and you will find many, if not most, elegant European women wear them and Europeans walk a lot more than Americans during an average day (I am originally from Europe). Very few wear sneakers.

You don't mention the season when you will be in Europe but if it is during warm weather, I would recommend (thong) sandals for comfort and beauty. That's just my opinion.

I know you just stated your opinion but....This choice would be the WORST type of shoe a person with high arches and tendencies to plantars fac. could consider. Those are prescribed to always wear shoes and NOT to go barefoot. Does havoc to the tendon that runs along the bottom of the foot.

I won't even mention the cobblestone and marble walks. Talk about a recipe for a fall. :rolleyes: If you say the Europeans wear them for hours everyday, that doesn't make the choice too wise for someone not used to or not built to wear them.

We've been on a 12 day Med Cruise and also a 3 week independent trip through Europe; Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Ireland. Lots of walking over cobblestones, up hills, subways, etc. I brought a pair of black Ecco loafer type shoes and they were very comfortable, looked good and went with all my travel clothes. Zappos is free shipping both ways, makes it easy to shop for the right fit.

Comfy shoes make ALL the difference!!!

I've had good luck with Born shoes (the o has a slash in it but I don't know the keyboard code for that.) I got mine in Dillard's for people in their store areas. Sometimes DWS has them too, at discount prices. They have shoes for men and women and they don't look at all like sneakers (trainers). I've worn mine walking on several European trips and they are comfortable on the cobblestones. We both have these. Merrill is another good brand, but a little more expensive.

I generally find that shoebuy.com has lower prices than Zappos for the exact same shoe.

Just received a 25% off email notice from shoe buy.com with free shipping and free returns.

Flyflot brand was recommended to me last year by a friend who lives in UK.

I think they are very comfortable and not too bad on the eyes.;)

Mari:)

I know you just stated your opinion but....This choice would be the WORST type of shoe a person with high arches and tendencies to plantars fac. could consider. Those are prescribed to always wear shoes and NOT to go barefoot. Does havoc to the tendon that runs along the bottom of the foot.

I won't even mention the cobblestone and marble walks. Talk about a recipe for a fall. :rolleyes: If you say the Europeans wear them for hours everyday, that doesn't make the choice too wise for someone not used to or not built to wear them.

I totally agree. I have high arches and I am sitting at the computer sipping my morning coffee, already wearing my Asics and orthotics. I recently discovered what it means to have plantar fasciitis, and it's painful. I feel it's all because I walked around Manhattan for 8 days in shoes without adequate support. Does my footwear look fashionable? Not in the least. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make to avoid future foot pain.

PS -- I have Naots that I really like. They're very cute for a Mary Jane style of shoe. But I may have to investigate whether I can fit an orthotic in them.

Archived