Never Again- and it wasn't my first Princess Cruise

pamssanity

We had traveled on the Island Princess to Alaska and thought the staff, the service and the crew were terrific. This is why we decided to sail with Princess again. We took the Caribbean Princess out of Bklyn NY in July 2010. Much to our displeasure our room was tiny. We had the same class of room on the Island and it was much larger. We had issues from the time we boarded. I have food allergies and never had a problem on any of our other cruises. It took 3 days for them to arrange for my food needs , after I had contacted Princess prior to boarding. When they finally did arrange for me to get the proper preparation for my food they actually served me something I was allergic to. I spent 1 1/2 days being ill and missed going off the ship in San Juan due to having to be near a bathroom at all times. When i contacted Princess they're response was they were sorry and offered us a $200 on board credit for our next cruise. When I contacted them again and told them i did not think this was adequate compensation for my being ill , at their hands, on the cruise they told me their offer was firm and they hope I will travel Princess again- are they kidding??????? Be aware that Princess is not what it once was.. even the crew on this crusie was complaining on how they were being treated- that is terrible. Please consider your options before you book Princess.

Hi There

As to the cabin this has to be down to you not doing your home work, as cabin sizes videos etc as easy to find.

The food not being pepared to your needs is not on, but why did it take three days to fix, I have cruised we folk with food issues, no milk, no nuts etc etc.

One did not get the meal they needed on the first night within minutes a correct meal arived, did you not have a meeting with the M D when you boarded, or when your first meal arrived prepared wrong.

Did you speak to the PSD about the lack of service.

yours Shogun

Sorry to hear you had issues on one ship. But I would not base everthing on one bad trip. You could run into the same issues on any cruiseline. Just out of curiosity what would you consider adequate compensation?

I have severe allergies to peanuts and walnuts and they are always extremely careful. However, everyone with food allergies always has to check what they are eating, no matter if you tell them that you will die from it or not. I always look at everything I put in my mouth to make sure there is no way it could have nuts in it.

I even avoid Chinese restaurants since peanuts are so rampantly used there. I just can't take the chance and therefore don't eat out as much. It's just a fact of life for me.

You really can't expect a company that serves some 50,000 meals during a cruise to be 100% right all the time. Sadly, food allergies are something that have to be taken into your own responsibility.

I don't think this is a Princess issue. You will ALWAYS be at risk at any cruise line or land based restaurant you go to. Trust me, I know.

Katherine

We had traveled on the Island Princess to Alaska and thought the staff, the service and the crew were terrific. This is why we decided to sail with Princess again. We took the Caribbean Princess out of Bklyn NY in July 2010. Much to our displeasure our room was tiny. We had the same class of room on the Island and it was much larger. We had issues from the time we boarded. I have food allergies and never had a problem on any of our other cruises. It took 3 days for them to arrange for my food needs , after I had contacted Princess prior to boarding. When they finally did arrange for me to get the proper preparation for my food they actually served me something I was allergic to. I spent 1 1/2 days being ill and missed going off the ship in San Juan due to having to be near a bathroom at all times. When i contacted Princess they're response was they were sorry and offered us a $200 on board credit for our next cruise. When I contacted them again and told them i did not think this was adequate compensation for my being ill , at their hands, on the cruise they told me their offer was firm and they hope I will travel Princess again- are they kidding??????? Be aware that Princess is not what it once was.. even the crew on this crusie was complaining on how they were being treated- that is terrible. Please consider your options before you book Princess.

May I ask what class of cabin on Island was larger than on CB?I have been on both ships four times and never noticed any difference.

Very scary oversight on their part considering some food allergies are deadly. I'm glad your reaction wasn't more severe than what you describe - and please don't misunderstand, I completely feel for you and I'm happy you're ok - just commenting on the fact that based on your story this could have been a tragedy had this happened to a passenger with a deadly reaction. Thanks for sharing this.

That is terrible.Thank goodness it was not a worse case senerio.Mistakes happen.Patients have had surgeries that did not need it,some have had a diagonis of cancer and did not have it.Boils down to people make mistakes.We all have to be viligant in our everyday lives and ask and check over and over again.If we don't,the outlook can be bleek.Hopefully insurance can help relieve some stress,but not always.This is life!:eek:

I'm sorry you had such a disappointing experience. Can you explain more about your food allergy issue? We have two DD's with food allergies. One is allergic to peanuts, the other is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, tilapia and clams. We have taken them on 6 Princess cruises (just booked No. 7) and have found the staff to be very helpful and accomodating about their food allergies. Once the Head Waiter for our dining room even tracked us down in the specialty restaurant in order to go over the next night's MDR menu with us.

Our kids actually feel much more confident eating onboard the ship versus the ports. Thank goodness we have never had a food allergy problem on a cruise ship. But, I have had DD#2 break out in hives from head to toe after I fixed dinner at home. So that goes to show that even Mom can't guarantee 100% protection from food allergens.

We just got back from the Caribbean princess and we also noticed that the dining room did not handle special food orders very well. Our requests had nothing to do with food allergies, but rather with personal preference. We asked for the chicken cutlet to be prepared without sauce and was told that it couldn't be done. We asked for pasta with marinara sauce and was served the pasta entree on the menu (which had brown gravy on it) and a cup of marinara sauce on the side. A request for vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries on the side was filled with vanilla ice cream topped with strawberry syrup. Etc.

Our head waiter told us that if we wanted any variation from the menu, we'd have to arrange it at least a day in advance. Then, it was no problem, however we weren't always able to anticipate our needs that far in advance. It seems that simple variations, like ordering something plain (without sauce) shouldn't require such a fuss to fulfill.

Hi There

As to the cabin this has to be down to you not doing your home work, as cabin sizes videos etc as easy to find.

The food not being pepared to your needs is not on, but why did it take three days to fix, I have cruised we folk with food issues, no milk, no nuts etc etc.

One did not get the meal they needed on the first night within minutes a correct meal arived, did you not have a meeting with the M D when you boarded, or when your first meal arrived prepared wrong.

Did you speak to the PSD about the lack of service.

yours Shogun

I agree. There are a multitude of ways, via the internet, to do some homework about a ship you are sailing on. Also, The Island and CB are two totally different ship designs so one shouldn't expect the cabins to be the same.

I hope you decide to give Princess another chance.

Bob

Sorry you did not have a good cruise. Hope the jewelry problem on St. Thomas wasn't transferred as anger at Princess.......

Barry

I think it may have been. So many things outside of the cruiselines power get taken out on the cruiseline I have noticed.

We just got back from the Caribbean princess and we also noticed that the dining room did not handle special food orders very well. Our requests had nothing to do with food allergies, but rather with personal preference. We asked for the chicken cutlet to be prepared without sauce and was told that it couldn't be done. We asked for pasta with marinara sauce and was served the pasta entree on the menu (which had brown gravy on it) and a cup of marinara sauce on the side. A request for vanilla ice cream with fresh strawberries on the side was filled with vanilla ice cream topped with strawberry syrup. Etc.

Our head waiter told us that if we wanted any variation from the menu, we'd have to arrange it at least a day in advance. Then, it was no problem, however we weren't always able to anticipate our needs that far in advance. It seems that simple variations, like ordering something plain (without sauce) shouldn't require such a fuss to fulfill.

Man, I could only imagine if the cruiseline catered to literally every little request. I would never get my food. As you can imagine you were probably just 1 of hundreds who wanted to make customizations to your meal. Can't please everyone.

Sorry you have a bad time but I don't think I will cancel our next cruise based on what happened to you. I agree the the food allergy should have been dealt with with in a more prfessional manner but I think you should of done more homework with regards to room size. I'm also curious to know of the other issues you had.

Man, I could only imagine if the cruiseline catered to literally every little request. I would never get my food. As you can imagine you were probably just 1 of hundreds who wanted to make customizations to your meal. Can't please everyone.

Sorry, but it shouldn't be a problem to order plain pasta with marinara, or to order vanilla ice cream with fresh fruit on the side. It's never been a problem on any other ship, and it wasn't even a problem on the CB when we sailed her two years ago. Not sure was it was suddenly a problem this time.

Just a personal observation, but the requests you mentioned seemed plentiful and a little more than simple.....

Bob

Just a personal observation, but your requests/vatiations seem a little more than simple....

Really? Pasta with marinara sauce? Isn't this on the children's menu? Why in the world would they think that the pasta dish on the menu, which had brown sauce, served with a side of marinara would be acceptable.

Vanilla ice cream with fresh fruit on the side? Complicated? C'mon. They have the ice cream, and they have the fruit available.

Sorry you did not have a good cruise. Hope the jewelry problem on St. Thomas wasn't transferred as anger at Princess.......

Barry

Nice pick-up Barry ;)

I think it may have been. So many things outside of the cruiselines power get taken out on the cruiseline I have noticed.

I totally agree. :(

Doug

Really? Pasta with marinara sauce? Isn't this on the children's menu? Why in the world would they think that the pasta dish on the menu, which had brown sauce, served with a side of marinara would be acceptable.

Vanilla ice cream with fresh fruit on the side? Complicated? C'mon. They have the ice cream, and they have the fruit available.

I think that with 20 to 24 people to serve, if only 5 of them wants something not on the menu, it causes a major upset in the serving routine. What might be a "simple" request to you, might be a big problem to the servers. That's why they ask you to notify them 24 hours in advance of a special request.

I have been on a few Princess Cruises not a many as Keith but still quiet a few. And while I am not a fan of the Caribbean Princess or its twins because of the passenger space ratios, and I have posted this numerous times, I have never encountered any of the dining room problems you and some others have described on any ship including the Caribbean Princess.

We have never been refused on requests weather to very something or on special prepared dishes. And certainly with the size of the menu there is something available for all.

Perhaps we do not have all the information. However, I would have taken the $200.00.

Archived