Never Again- and it wasn't my first Princess Cruise

pamssanity

[quote name='pamssanity']Thanks for the understanding- why would anyone with allergies go on such a vacation if the propritors didn't care- and the fact that we contacted them weeks before the cruise to reassure there wouldn't bw a problem. The cruise line needs to care about its personnel. I wonder if being vbought by Carnival has anything to do with it?[/quote]

Doubt it. The same managment is still in place apparently for Princess.

[quote name='pamssanity']Thanks for the understanding- why would anyone with allergies go on such a vacation if the propritors didn't care- and the fact that we contacted them weeks before the cruise to reassure there wouldn't bw a problem. The cruise line needs to care about its personnel. I wonder if being vbought by Carnival has anything to do with it?[/QUOTE]

You are missing the point. There is no way anyone else can assure you that an allergic reaction won't happen to you, no matter if you contact the President of Princess, Carnival or the US of A.

YOU are the only person who can assure yourself by not eating mass produced food. Trust me -- I have a severe allergy and I have been, there done that. You can't go to restaurants, cruises, parties, etc etc without being cautious. YOU have to check out the food and look at every bite! No one else will ever be able to do that for you.

So don't blame Princess. You need to take responsibility or else it will keep happening to you as you go through life.

Katherine

[quote name='Bethwte']Hi Pam- not sure if you'll see my comment buried in the others, so just in case:

Were you seated at traditional or anytime dining? I'm very curious to know, as the service level varies for me between the two.[/quote]Beth, I've done Anytime twice; the first time, on the Grand, the service was atrocious. Awful. The final night, we had waitstaff that were excellent but the rest of the cruise, it was awful. Very slow, waitstaff chatting with each other for 10+ minutes while we were sitting with dirty plates for 20 minutes, incorrect orders, etc. Granted, this was right after Anytime was introduced in 2001. My second experience with Anytime (besides the very long waits of up to 45 minutes even with a reservation), the waitstaff was "OK." Good, not great. The problem is that they had three tables, all on completely different schedules and often, we had to wait 20+ minutes between finishing our salad and getting our entree because the table next to us was being seated, drink orders taken, etc. They tried hard but there was none of the efficiency when the tables on more or less the same schedule.

I much prefer Traditional on Princess and while I've had substandard wait service on occasion, we say something and are specific about what was below our expectations to the Maitre d'. One time, our waitstaff was so bad (slow, i.e., we didn't get out until almost 10:30pm a couple of nights in a row and that was by skipping coffee) that the Maitre d' completely changed them out after three days. I've also been on a cruise where the Maitre d' saw the assistant waiter struggling to keep up and assigned us a trainee to make sure our water was filled, drinks were topped off, bread & butter available, etc. Speak up and don't be afraid of getting someone in trouble as long as you are clear and reasonable about what you expected and what did/didn't happen. The Maitre d' is observent but they don't see everything and if they don't know, they can't correct a problem.

Everyone has different expectations but we like Traditional because our waitstaff gets to know us quickly, make recommendations based on what we've ordered before, has our iced tea ready when we come in, etc. To me, it's a different experience than even having a set reservation time in Anytime.

It's a shame you had such a bad experience. My experience has been totally different. My SIL has a gluten allergy. She had the TA make a note of it. The 1st evening, the Maitre d came to the table and told her what was available the for dining that evening. Then each evening he gave her a menu for the next evening making suggestions or asking what she might like to have to next meal. To say they were accommodating is an under-statement.

I'm breaking out in hives just reading this entire post.

To the OP - sorry for your discomfort - that being said, I wouldve asked for the $200 credit for that cruise not a future one.

We just got off the CB last week and our servers (Pat & Lillia) at 6PM TD were fabulous. They were quite attentive to our every need and anything we asked for or wished wasnt there - it was given or removed. I can't say enough good things about them.

Im prone to A-FIB and can't drink caffeinated coffee. I would repeat myself every time - "are you SURE this is DECAF??" - I guess you're at the mercy of the servers in any venue, but thankfully I did'nt have a problem the entire cruise and I drank Lattes from the IC every day. :)

I would imagine allergies are a very serious and scary problem. Don't alienate Princess for your next trip. Just be a little more diligent in preparation for your next cruise.

Just curious as to how one would go about proving that they had a true allergic reaction due to something served on board? What would keep someone from making the claim in order to get a $$credit? If all the cruise line has to go on is your verbal claim, I can understand their reticence to issue a more substantial credit. Travel and a variety of new food dishes can often upset a persons stomach and cause cramping, diarrhea, etc.

Not making an accusation here, just wondering how proof would be offered.

Also, I may have missed it, but was a request submitted in writing with the offending food items?

Personally, I think the compensation offered was more than generous in view of the details that have been offered here.

I also was on the same ship in July and had a wonderful time. Great room care, great dining room service andthe head waiter went out of his way (Carlos) to exceed expectations. This was our 6th Princess cruise and 4 on this ship. Did you have to go to the ships doctor and what did they say?

I'm not a "cheerleader" but, after much cruising on all major cruiselines....we find Princess to be the most accomodating and very eager to please.

I truly believe you had a communication problem:

1. Making them aware of your allergy problem, more clearly, before and during your cruise.

2. When you were ordering something special or different....I ALWAYS ask, before the server leaves our table, if they understood my request.

3. Attitude....a nice one goes a very long way with folks in the service business.

I'm not a "cheerleader" but, after much cruising on all major cruiselines....we find Princess to be the most accomodating and very eager to please.

I truly believe you had a communication problem:

1. Making them aware of your allergy problem, more clearly, before and during your cruise.

2. When you were ordering something special or different....I ALWAYS ask, before the server leaves our table, if they understood my request.

3. Attitude....a nice one goes a very long way with folks in the service business.

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

I also was on the same ship in July and had a wonderful time. Great room care, great dining room service andthe head waiter went out of his way (Carlos) to exceed expectations. This was our 6th Princess cruise and 4 on this ship. Did you have to go to the ships doctor and what did they say?

I think she self diagnosed. Unless they did a forensic analysis of the food to find the ingredients it could have been something else that caused the illness.

Donna, just out of curiosity, do you think there may have been a language barrier with your servers? The kinds of requests you're talking about are fairly common in my cruising experience and the only time I've had (or seen) issues have been where the wait staff did not understand the request. Often they would smile, nod, say yes ma'am/sir and then not do it. Just wondering.

I experienced this on Island Princess (Panama Canal, 10 days) in March this year.

I asked my waiter for "Celery." His busman did not know what celery is either.

I had to do a Pictionary (or whatever that game is called that we used to play). They finally got it and I got celery.

OP: I assume you spoke with only the Maitre d' when ordering the night before. He is well-versed in English, as well as Allergies.

;);):D:cool::cool:

In my experience, true food allergy reactions occur quickly -- within minutes in the case of my DD. On both occasions when my DD had food allergy reactions, we were still at the table when she started breaking out in hives. I don't think you could confuse an actual allergic reaction to food in port from an allergic reaction to food served on board.

Pax with any allergies need to carry an EPI PEN with them. I always take mine on cruise and one in my car all the time.

I am highly allergic to penicillin and bee stings.

Just stick it in your thigh.

I did mention I carry an epi-pen, but that is for true severe allergies like you said.

The OP did not have self-reported respiratory difficulties- thankfully.

The OP has not clarified if they (DH or DW?) are calling their previously reported lactose intolerance an allergy.

Many people do overstate a food sensitivity and call it an allergy to get the proper attention they require. It's just easier, no matter how inaccurate.

bernadette

Were you seen by a ships doctor? And what is the nature of your food allergy?

We had traveled on the Island Princess to Alaska and thought the staff, the service and the crew were terrific. This is why we decided to sail with Princess again. We took the Caribbean Princess out of Bklyn NY in July 2010. Much to our displeasure our room was tiny. We had the same class of room on the Island and it was much larger. We had issues from the time we boarded. I have food allergies and never had a problem on any of our other cruises. It took 3 days for them to arrange for my food needs , after I had contacted Princess prior to boarding. When they finally did arrange for me to get the proper preparation for my food they actually served me something I was allergic to. I spent 1 1/2 days being ill and missed going off the ship in San Juan due to having to be near a bathroom at all times. When i contacted Princess they're response was they were sorry and offered us a $200 on board credit for our next cruise. When I contacted them again and told them i did not think this was adequate compensation for my being ill , at their hands, on the cruise they told me their offer was firm and they hope I will travel Princess again- are they kidding??????? Be aware that Princess is not what it once was.. even the crew on this crusie was complaining on how they were being treated- that is terrible. Please consider your options before you book Princess.

Food Allergies on Cruises

By Paul Motter A young man was hit by a severe food allergy reaction and passed away on Norwegian Epic Saturday night. According to reports, a "code alpha" was broadcast throughout the ship during the evening's entertainment. Certain passengers with the same last name were instructed to call "00" which is the number for reception. The ship turned around about an hour later, when it was about 40 miles from shore, to return to Miami.

The victim was a young man - only 21 years old. He apparently had a severe food allergy and ate something on the ship which put him into a severe anaphylactic shock. This type of shock can cause a constriction of the airways and extremely low blood pressure.

The ship arrived in Miami at almost exactly midnight Sunday morning. It is reported that several policemen did board the ship - apparently to eliminate the possibility of foul play, or possibly to keep the peace among some confused and frightened family members.

The body of the 21 year old man, covered by a white sheet, was taken off the ship by gurney but not until about 1:30 according to reports. The ship resumed sailing near 2:30 a.m. and it is reported the rest of the cruise will proceed as scheduled.

What happened?

If a person has a severe food allergy it is logically their own responsibility to make sure they do not eat the wrong food. I mean, how many times has a waiter ever asked if you have a food allergy before you dined? Actually, I can only think of one place where that ever happening to me in my entire life.

It was on Norwegian Epic. The chef at Teppanyaki, the Japanese restaurant where the food is cooked in front of everyone, asked every single person at our table, individually, (12 of us) if we had any food allergies. That indicates to me that NCL does take food allergies very seriously. So I am waiting somewhat anxiously to hear further details on how this occurred.

It was news to me that a food allergy can cause a heart attack, but it can. I happen to have an allergy to shrimp, which did not even appear until I was in my 30s. I get tiny hives on my lips and cheek, but only after I have eaten four or five large shrimp. I love shrimp tempura, and I know I actually ate some shrimp at that table that night. I remember that Roberto Martinoli, an EVP of Norwegian Cruise Lines sitting next to me, said to me "didn't you say you are allergic to shrimp?" when I did so. "I can have a few before it kicks in" I told him. I don't think I will be tempting fate like that anymore.

In fact, just as my allergy did not show up for years, allergies can change during a person's lifetime, becoming more or less acute at any time. I never carry any medicine for my shrimp allergy. I never even thought about doing that, but in fact about 125 Americans die from food allergy reactions every year.

Here is a medical definition of Anaphylactic shock: A widespread and very serious allergic reaction where symptoms include hives and itching, chest tightness and labored breathing, swelling of the tongue and breathing tubes, blueness of the skin, low blood pressure, heart failure and death.

The blueness of the lips indicates that oxygen is not being circulated through the body.

The treatment is a quick does of epinephrine, a hormone that stimulates the heart and relaxes the airways. People with allergies should carry a self-injection kit for emergency treatment. A standard brand name that is familiar to people with such allergies is the Epipen.

Epipen is an auto-injector of epinephrine which should be administered into the outer thigh through the clothing. It should not be put into a vein or into the buttocks. When using, one should hold the pen in the thigh for ten seconds, withdraw and massage the spot for ten seconds.

If you do not have an Epipen, the immediate and continual administration of CPR is recommended. Recent studies have shown that chest compression is the most important part of CPR since in most cases the blood will already have enough oxygen in it to keep a patient's brain alive. Continuous chest compression for as long as necessary, starting immediately and without stopping, is what I was recently told by my physician is the most effective type of CPR.

If a person has an allergic reaction to a food, the immediate response is critical, but so is follow-up care. The patient needs to be watched for at least eight to 24 hours. The initial allergic reaction may not be the only one. A secondary reaction can occur at any time.

We do not yet have any details on what exactly happened in this case, but one thing is sure - one should always take food allergies seriously

and http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/08/15/1777713/death-forces-ship-to-return.html

Princess is very careful with people with food allergies. On our Crown sailing there was a lady with extreme allergies and the table captain and MD worked with her every day on the next day's dinner menu to be sure she wasn't getting something she shouldn't have. I'm sorry the OP had so much trouble on her cruise, but I think it could have been avoided with proper communication.

Archived