How to empty fridge in cabin?

GamblingMommy

I like to have the fridge emptied out in my cabin. Previously I have hunted down the room stewards and it was done within a day. However, I was wondering if this can be arranged ahead of time. I am staying in a regular balcony so no suite perks. Does anyone have any ideas if it is possible to empty before boarding?

We too like to have an empty fridge so we can put fruit in at night...or 'whatever' we may choose to keep cold. We usually just ask immediately. We've always seen either the steward or his assistant within the first few hours, certainly by evening. On one occasion we just took the stuff out and put it on the bed. We always make a note of time and name of person who picks it up in case there's some dispute later on with our bill. Shouldn't be a problem. If you don't see someone, walk the hall and ask for help. They are usually there on the first afternoon/evening.

having the mini-fridge filled in your cabin is S.O.P. (Standard Operating Procedure) for the cruise lines. It's kinda like the sheets on your bed...If you DON'T want them turned down at night, you have to let your room steward know..it's an amenity. Never seen a "pre" option to have the fridge empty on embarkation day so think you'll have to just have your room steward do it for you.

On all of our previous NCL cruises, we simply asked the room steward the first time we saw them and it was done shortly thereafter with no questions, no hassles.

This time, our first on the POAm, the room steward at first refused to empty our fridges. I said: "they do it on the other NCL ships." He said that they don't do that on the POAm (which I know was wrong). He whined that he had "no place to put the items" if he took them out. Only after I said: "who do I have to talk to then to get the items removed because I know that NCL does remove items" did he change his tune. He said he would "find some place to put the stuff."

On the last day when we went to pack, I was getting the suitcases out from under the bed and I found where he had put the stuff..... all thrown together in a pillowcase under our bed. (same for my brother in laws room next door.). I didn't make a big deal about it because it was the last day, but I actually thought about taking the whole pillowcase down to the Information desk in the lobby and let them have it with instructions that I would not pay for anything missing or broken. Of course, I am glad that I was not the next person in our cabin on the POAm....the candy and snacks had been on the floor under the bed all week... not the cleanest place in the world...

So my advice is that if you have them remove the items....look around your cabin and see if they hid them there to prevent you from being charged if they get broken. (especially true if you are on the Pride of America!)

Don't take no for an answer...just tell them you will go over their heads if they continue to refuse.

After the first time, waiting for a steward to do it, I just do it myself. I just stick them in a drawer under the fridg. On the last morning I leave a note saying where they are and that none were used. Quick and painless...so far.

After the first time, waiting for a steward to do it, I just do it myself. I just stick them in a drawer under the fridg. On the last morning I leave a note saying where they are and that none were used. Quick and painless...so far.

We've done the same - you can usually find a spot on a high shelf or a drawer.

I was wondering about doing that - if I take everything out of the fridge though, will the steward just keep filling it up again every day?

I was wondering about doing that - if I take everything out of the fridge though, will the steward just keep filling it up again every day?

No they won't. It's common that most passengers do want the fridge empty. If in doubt, first time you see your steward/s just mention don't replinish. It's really not an issue at all.

So my advice is that if you have them remove the items....look around your cabin and see if they hid them there to prevent you from being charged if they get broken. (especially true if you are on the Pride of America!)

Don't take no for an answer...just tell them you will go over their heads if they continue to refuse.

This is an interesting and informative post. Thanks!

A few sodas, candy bars, nip bottles of liquor, small bottles of juice. A nip bottle of liquor is about $6.95, and a soda is around $2. So the same price you'd pay at the bar. However, I think you save a little since you're not paying the 15% auto gratuity.

Whenever we had a soda and/or liquor from the in-cabin fridge on the Jewel they always added the 15% gratuity when they billed it to our shipboard account.

As soon as we arrive, we take out all of the items in the fridge and put them on the shelf above the fridge.

When we see the room steward, we tell him we did so.

The last night on the ship we place everything back into the fridge (once we empty it of whatever we were using the fridge for in the first place).

can we bring our own water and soda onto the ship with us?

Yes, although the ships' water is very good. Many persons just bring one bottle and refill from the ship's. We hand carry a couple or three 12 packs of Diet Pepsi on with us and buy more at ports if needed. You can also check it like baggage. We do spend our fair share on ship's adult beverages however.

After our first cruise when we asked the steward to remove the items, we now do it ourselves as well. I make a note of exactly what was in the fridge and other items like water. Sometimes I tell the room steward or leave a note, but I always refill the fridge on the last night and so far - no charges to our onboard account either.

i forget from my last cruise....do they stock your fridge with bottled water..and if so is there a charge for it? Back on the Dawn in 18 days!

On our our last several NCL cruises there has been one larger size bottle of water near the mini fridge that definitely has a charge. We never use it (bring our own bottled water and then just refill from the ship's water for excursions) so I am not sure what the exact charge is. About $3., I think.

On our our last several NCL cruises there has been one larger size bottle of water near the mini fridge that definitely has a charge. We never use it (bring our own bottled water and then just refill from the ship's water for excursions) so I am not sure what the exact charge is. About $3., I think.

We always move those two bottles of water to the top shelf ourselves. If you open them it will cost you and the Steward WILL replace them. They even ask you at dinner if you want the fancy (well they have another name for it) bottled water or "just plain old tap water." (I get a chuckle out of how they try to make the tap water sound bad.)

I was on the same POA as DAGVBSB was. I asked the room steward to empty our refrigerator and he said he would. He hadn't done it when we returned from supper so I emptied it and put the contents on a high shelf that we didn't need. I inventoried the things as I took them out. I checked the seals on the liquor to make sure they hadn't been broken or tampered with and the bottles appeared to contain liquid. In Paris once, I was being charged for liquor I hadn't used and when I dug through the mini-bar to show them it was still there, I noted that most of the colored bottles were empty and I'm willing to bet that the clear ones had water in them. I didn't bring this to their attention (lol) and was never charged for anything.

On the POA, I came up short on one of the large bottles of water which were elsewhere in the cabin and so noted to the cabin steward when I told him what I had done. I told him I didn't intend to use anything in the mini-bar and I didn't want to be charged for the water. I reminded him again the last day that I only had one bottle of water and not to charge me. He put the other bottle in the cabin that evening.

When returning the items to the mini-bar, I was short a can of beer. I think it was a "lite" brand along with a "regular" brand and I counted the "regular" twice. Anyway, I wasn't charged for it.

What surprised me was liquor in the mini-bar. On other cruises, they don't have liquor in the mini-bar because minors in the cabin could get a hold of it.

By the way, I have had them on other cruises put those things in a bag under the bed. Once the steward stacked everything between the side of the refrigerator and the cubby it was in. That was fine until things shifted around and the hinge hit a can and punctured it. I ran with it to the sink and left it in the sink. Since it was unopened, it was obvious I didn't drink it. Husband came along and, not knowing what had happened, opened it and poured out the rest of the contents. I explained it to the steward and was not charged for the can.

Another time before we got wise to asking them to empty it, we noticed a can was missing when we were putting some of our things in it. I immediately reported to the front desk it was gone and we didn't drink it. I, also, pointed out we had a substitute steward that day. They told me to tell the steward not to charge me which I did. Steward 'fessed up he drank it and had planned to replace it but forgot (lol)

Tucker in Texas

i forget from my last cruise....do they stock your fridge with bottled water..and if so is there a charge for it? Back on the Dawn in 18 days!

Yes, there is a charge for anything you use in the Fridge. I think the water is about $3

We usually ask the cabin steward to remove everything so he knows we aren't using anything. They are used to it. I use the fridge for my water and milk and fruit.

Safe sails! We're leaving 8/29 on the Dawn!!!

PS aren't you on the same cruise as we? 16 days and counting.

I like to have the fridge emptied out in my cabin. Previously I have hunted down the room stewards and it was done within a day. However, I was wondering if this can be arranged ahead of time. I am staying in a regular balcony so no suite perks. Does anyone have any ideas if it is possible to empty before boarding?

Open the fridge door, take contents out and place on counter. It's really easy.:)

Take the items out and store them on a shelf. It takes 3 min and is a minor hassle. No issue.

We have done this on every cruise ever. I didn't even know the room stewards WOULD do this...not that it ever ocurred to me to ask.

Inver

Archived