Corfu & Santorini

Schatzi Su

We will be travelling on a RCCL cruise that visits Santorini & Corfu.

Thinking in Santorini we will just catch the cable car to Thira and perhaps a bus over to Oia and just have a relaxing wonder about and a nice lunch somewhere. Is that a good idea?

Corfu, I'm stuck, don't know if we should do a ship excursion or our own thing. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks...:confused:

We will be travelling on a RCCL cruise that visits Santorini & Corfu.

Thinking in Santorini we will just catch the cable car to Thira and perhaps a bus over to Oia and just have a relaxing wonder about and a nice lunch somewhere. Is that a good idea?

It's a great idea!! And, exactly what we did last month. We headed up the hill (took the donkeys ... fun!! 5 euro each) and directly to the bus station. Not a long walk. The bus was 1.40 euro each way and runs about every half hour. We spent the morning thru lunch wandering around Oia. Really spectacular. Lunch was at a roof-top place with a great Greek pizza (calamata olives, feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes) and a wonderful bottle of Santorini white wine. Then we took the bus back to Fira and strolled around for a bit until we headed back to the ship (this time we took the cable car).

It's a great idea!! And, exactly what we did last month. We headed up the hill (took the donkeys ... fun!! 5 euro each) and directly to the bus station. Not a long walk. The bus was 1.40 euro each way and runs about every half hour. We spent the morning thru lunch wandering around Oia. Really spectacular. Lunch was at a roof-top place with a great Greek pizza (calamata olives, feta cheese and sun-dried tomatoes) and a wonderful bottle of Santorini white wine. Then we took the bus back to Fira and strolled around for a bit until we headed back to the ship (this time we took the cable car).

Thank you for your reply. Is Oia more spectacular views than Thira?

Any suggestions for Corfu?

On Corfu you will find that Corfu Town is a pretty nice city with more then its share of shopping and dining. As to seeing the island we think it makes a lot of sense to simply rent a car and drive yourself around parts of the island. There are a few local rental car companies that rent cars right at the port (they are located at the main port terminal near the entrance). When you get off your ship the port will have a free shuttle service to take you from the ship to that port terminal building.

Hank

Your Santorini plan sounds good...... We liked both villages and thought they both had good views. We did not stay in Oia for sunset but rather headed back to Thira and had dinner on the edge and watched it from there. Still pretty good imo...... :)

Corfu - I agree with Hank.... whether you rent a car, take a taxi tour, a ship tour whatever......try to get out of town and see the island. It is beautiful. Not what you picture a Greek island to look like. It is further north and west and gets alot more rain than most of Greece, hence it is called the Emerald Isle of Greece since it is so green. Over a million olive trees and hills/mountains, sheer cliffs, gorgeous coves with beautiful beaches....... really pretty. We enjoyed our ship tour (we don't normally do them) and not only saw the northern section of the island but also had time in Corfu town to shop etc. In fact, you could either take the bus back or stay and grab a taxi or walk if you wanted more time.

In terms of Corfu, if you do not feel comfortable renting a car try to find a ships tour that gets you out and about on the Island as Hank Suggested.

I think the town itself is fine but I would get out on the island.

Enjoy.

Keith

We found it pretty easy to drive on Corfu. Just remember that it is called Kerkyra in Greek and that is what the signs will say! You can read what we did in my cruise notes.

the lunch we had in Santorini was fantastic!

We took a taxi tour in Corfu for 4 hours 2 years ago. The countyside is breathtaking. On our upcoming trip next month I have organized a rental and mapped a driving route based on advise from my DW's cousin who lived on Corfu for a number of years. The route is here if interested.

Yarramar - the map is great, thanks. My wife and I are planning to rent a car in October, and I was wondering if you could describe the stopping points in the map and identify what they are, or what you plan to do when you stop.

thanks,

Jason

Hi Yarramar,

What company are you using to rent a car on Corfu? Do you need an international driver's license? What rate are you getting? Is it close to the cruise port?

Sorry for all the questions. Renting a car seems like a good option on this island.

Thanks!

I agree that on Santorini it is great to take the cable car to the top and then go by bus or taxi (share if you can) to Oia. A nice relaxing lunch with that wonderful view - it is very hard to beat! And if you add a salad that includes Santorini tomatoes it is a very great day!!!

We recently visited Corfu and hired Dimitris Dafnis (corfu taxi private tours dot gr) We had a great day visiting the island and even had time to go swimming and have a great lunch (best calamari ever!!). We felt he was quite reasonably priced as we shared with another couple. We were really happy with our decision to to leave the town and explore the countryside - it is really beautiful. Enjoy your time in Greece!

• 2 weeks later...

I think we'll give the donkeys a miss & get the cable car. Can you tell me if the bus station is easy to find. Is there more to see & shop in Oia that Fira? How long does it take to get over to Oia?

Thanks...

Archived