Mondays in Rome

tontok

The Vatican museums are closed on Sunday, not Monday, so you are fine there.

The Forum, Colosseum, and Palatine Hill are all open.

The Pantheon is certainly open, and of course all of Rome's fountains, including Trevi, can be viewed at any time.

I am also curious as to what you want to see that's closed on Mondays? Several museums in Rome proper are closed (Capitoline, National museums), but these aren't usually must-see places for first-time visitors.

Even if everything was closed on Monday there is a lot more to Rome than the museums...just walking around is an open air museum unto itself.I have no idea where so much disinformation comes from re Europe and its cities...it does not close down in the summer,and there are toilets to be had and most times the water is very drinkable.People are wonderful and food great.Enjoy.

Hello,

I should have added to the original post that I have been to Rome many times and have seen the main sights. I was hoping this time to get back to the Gallery Borghesse or see something new such as the Capitoline Museum, National Museum, or Castel San Angelo. All of those are closed on Mondays.

There are a few churches I thought I could check out, or maybe just walk around with a lemon gellato.

Marina

Have you been to Villa Farnesina? It's open on Mondays, and not all that often visited: http://www.villafarnesina.it/

Have you been to the (relatively) new Ara Pacis?

This site lists every museum you can think of, and you can select them by type, section of the city, etc: http://www.060608.it/en

I have to say, my first visit to Rome was for a month and I've been back at least once or twice a year for the past nine years ... and I still have a long list of things to do and see there. Maybe I'm just slow.

Archived