The Norwegian Sun

mnmstaller

My wife (31) and I (35) are going to be on the Sun Oct 16 2010. The First trip out of Florida.

We are first time NCL cruisers and have read mixed reviews on the Sun.

Our last trip was on the Carnival Legend. Nice ship with gaudy decorations. We enjoyed the food on Carnival, but I heard NCL has more variety and a better quality of food. Is this true?

how does the Sun compare to the Legend, and NCL to Carnival.

any input would be appreciated

1991 SS EMERALD SEAS

1992 SS EMERALD SEAS

1993 STARSHIP ATLANTIC PREMIER CRUISE LINES

1998 SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS

2005 CARNIVAL FASCINATION

2008 CARNIVAL LEGEND

2009 CARNIVAL LEGEND

OCT 16 2010 NCL SUN

I had a blast on the Sun in 2008!!! Nice ship with bright and fun decor all over. The food was great, even in the buffet, and I had the best steak of my life in Cagney's. Make sure you get outside to the Great Outdoors Cafe, it was my favorite place to eat. I've never cruised with RCI or Carnival, but from what I hear from others it should be a nice step up from Carnival. Dave

PS Looks like we will both be at the dock on Sunday the 24!! I'll be getting off the Disney Wonder from a quick 3 day. I'm excited to get a glimpse of the Sun again. I can't want to cruise her again. See ya there!!

mnmstaller

There is a fairly active Roll Call for your cruise over on the Roll Call boards, several of our group coming over on the Transatlantic will be doing the next leg with your cruise. So, the Sun will be in good hands...:D

I wish I could comment on the Sun, but have never sailed with her yet, have done Carnival Imagination last year, and Carnivale back in the dark ages. You'll have a very casual atmosphere on NCL, no dressing up and no set dining times.

Have a wonderful time! :)

I have been on Carnival four times and on NCL two. Though there have been a few bumps here and there, I haven't had a bad cruise yet. To tell you the truth, there are more similarities between the two than there are differences. However, I find the main dining room food to be superior on Carnival. On the other hand, there is much more choice for your dining venues on NCL. But, I must admit that my best cruise yet was on the Norwegian Jewel, 10 day repositioning cruise from Miami to New York. It was last April. Great cruise, superd crew. The hotel manager, John O'Hara, went out of his way to give our roll call members the royal treatment. We even got an invitation to visit the bridge. The captain gave us a grand tour. Enjoy your cruise!

I had a blast on the Sun in 2008!!! Nice ship with bright and fun decor all over. The food was great, even in the buffet, and I had the best steak of my life in Cagney's. Make sure you get outside to the Great Outdoors Cafe, it was my favorite place to eat. I've never cruised with RCI or Carnival, but from what I hear from others it should be a nice step up from Carnival. Dave

PS Looks like we will both be at the dock on Sunday the 24!! I'll be getting off the Disney Wonder from a quick 3 day. I'm excited to get a glimpse of the Sun again. I can't want to cruise her again. See ya there!!

There is no Cagney's on the Sun. Do you have it mixed up with one of the other NCL ships such as the Jewel?

I agree with you about the Great Outdoors Cafe. I loved to eat out there, especially the hamburgers at lunch time.

I'll be on the cruise with the OP.

My wife (31) and I (35) are going to be on the Sun Oct 16 2010. The First trip out of Florida.

Our last trip was on the Carnival Legend. Nice ship with gaudy decorations. We enjoyed the food on Carnival, but I heard NCL has more variety and a better quality of food. Is this true?

1991 SS EMERALD SEAS

1992 SS EMERALD SEAS

1993 STARSHIP ATLANTIC PREMIER CRUISE LINES

1998 SOVEREIGN OF THE SEAS

2005 CARNIVAL FASCINATION

2008 CARNIVAL LEGEND

2009 CARNIVAL LEGEND

OCT 16 2010 NCL SUN

My own opinion and that is all it is: NCL, Carnival and RCI are in the same class. Which is better or best depends on what one looks for when cruising the the class of the particular ship. Seeing what lines you have cruised, I think you will be very happy with the Sun. She is due for dry dock, but that will be after you sail her.

Food is far to subjective to comment: I know some who will not even cruise Carnival because of the food quality and others who think their food outshines NCL. This holds true with RCI as well.

You will find Carnival cabins a little bigger and the night life more active. NCL does have the advantage of more dining choices, although many have extra charges. Even then, there are more all inclusive dining rooms on the Sun than any Carnival ship. You have the 2 MDRs, the buffet, the outdoor grill, Pacific Heights (which is a healthy choice dining room) plus the sports bar serves comfort food certain hours and there is my favorite for light snacks late in the day: Las Rambles. It is a bar but serves tapas. YOu can make an entire meal on the tapas.

The entrertainment is equal and so is the service probably. As you know, from past sailings the same ship can have good service today and the next time you can be disappointed.

We are strong NCL loyalist so I am partial, but I can't see why you will be anything but happy and the Sun happens to be one of my favorite ships. It is just a fun ship, I can't think of any other was to put it.

Nita

There is no Cagney's on the Sun. Do you have it mixed up with one of the other NCL ships such as the Jewel?

I agree with you about the Great Outdoors Cafe. I loved to eat out there, especially the hamburgers at lunch time.

I'll be on the cruise with the OP.

I think he/she meant East meets West which is so much like Cagney's the name got confused. I noticed that as well, but I just figured we hear "Cagney's" so often we just think steak house "Cagney's"

Nita

OP, The Sun is a great ship and you will enjoy your cruise.

I wouldn't trust too much in those spotty reviews; I've just about come to the conclusion that they tell me more about the reviewer than they do about the ship. Just before my South American cruise on the Sun last Feb, there was a bunch of negative/lackluster reviews posted. DH and I were a little concerned, to tell you the truth. Once on the ship, our experience was so much different than the negative reports that we wondered if we were even talking about the same ship! When we discussed this with our roll call buddies, we found they felt the same way.

And speaking of roll calls. . . . I'd encourage you to get to know the folks on your roll call. (An earlier post says that there's an active rc for your cruise.) A good roll call can make the difference between a good cruise and a great cruise.

I feel I have to respond...I wrote a spotty review of the Sun back on May 28th. I tried to be honest and objective about my experiences on the Sun. By saying that because I wasn't a complete cheerleader for NCL, I should be overlooked or referred to in a negitive light is disrepectful. I would not think to condone you for loving The Sun and your cruise on her. CC members should feel free to report their assessment of their vacation without being chastised for doing so!

We thoroughly enjoyed our 15 day transatlantic sailing on the Sun this past April/May. In fact, we are taking the Sun BACK to Europe again next spring on the transatlantic! Our roll call was very active and truly helped make our sailing such a huge success for us. GET INVOLVED!!:)

I think he/she meant East meets West which is so much like Cagney's the name got confused. I noticed that as well, but I just figured we hear "Cagney's" so often we just think steak house "Cagney's"

Nita

Nita's right. They have the same Cagney's menu in an area of East Meets West. Teppanyaki is also in that location.

Don't miss Il Adagio, the Italian restaurant on the Sun. Wonderful food and great ambience/decor. There's no similar restaurant on any other NCL ship.

No guarantees that she will not be chnaged some with the coming January drydock, but this is a great virtual tour that will give you a good look at the SUV very much like we found her this past spring on our transatlantic. She is a bit more shopworn, but VERY recognizable from what you see here!

http://www.iceportal.com/Brochures/ice/brochure.aspx?did=2133&brochureid=ship_92

ENJOY! :)

I feel I have to respond...I wrote a spotty review of the Sun back on May 28th. I tried to be honest and objective about my experiences on the Sun. By saying that because I wasn't a complete cheerleader for NCL, I should be overlooked or referred to in a negitive light is disrepectful. I would not think to condone you for loving The Sun and your cruise on her. CC members should feel free to report their assessment of their vacation without being chastised for doing so!

I don't know if you are who was being referred to and yes, you have every right to your opinion. Maybe you are being a little sensitive, I haven't read your review, but if you are reacting this way, you must have blasted enough to upset a few.

I think the remark about overlooking has some merit. It is more common to complain on these boards than to rave. This is human nature. We expect to enjoy an experience and normally do not report back, unless it is above and beyond, but people, because they expect things to be great often can't wait to let everyone know when things don't go perfectly.

I do remember your review, it was pretty negative, especially the remarks about the lack of medical care when obviously you haven't experienced medical care on many ships. They are strictly there for true emergancies and an occassion despencing of anti biotics. They also charge a forture, but insurance covers most of the cost.

Nita

Maybe I am being a little sensitive...To be fair, those of us that have had a less than perfect experience should be treated with the same respect that is given to those who love NCL. The attitude reflected in the post previous to mine just rubbed me the wrong way. I am a cup half full person as I explained in my review, and I did have many positive things to say about our cruise. Well, I've had my say..got it off my chest and feel better now!!!:)

Count me in with those repeat Sunners....our Oct 16th cruise will be our third on her and the second this year! You should however be prepared that she is overdue for the drydock. The upholsery is worn in the cabins, some of the carpet is a little worn, etc. All that being said, we enjoy her size and the specialty restaurants found only on Sun - il Adagio, Las Ramblas and Pacific Heights.

As others have said, come join our rollcall. See you in October!

I just sailed the Sun for a 12 day Baltic Cruise and had a terrific time. I too loved East meets West, (or the Suns version of Cagneys) and liked most of the food throughout all the restaurants.

The only other ship I had sailed on was The Dawn, and to be honest, the Dawn was a LOT easier to get around then the Sun IMHO. That said, the crew on the Sun was second to none. They made us 'inside staterooms' feel like we were in the Owners' Suite.

The ship is a little tired in spots (soon to be dry docked I believe) but I really did have a great time and loved my stateroom - which was bigger then the one I had on the Dawn (window).

Enjoy your cruise, envy, envy, wish I was going.

I can absolutely NOT WAIT until our transatlantic on the Sun in Oct. I would take her back eastbound next spring if I could get off in Amsterdam instead of continuing on to Copenhagen. Then I'd get to see her before and after self.

I am truly excited to be sailing her, I think the smaller passenger count is a big factor, the last two ships I've sailed on have been 2500+ limits and although you can find areas to be almost alone, I think the Sun will be a much nicer atmosphere.

I just sailed the Sun for a 12 day Baltic Cruise and had a terrific time. I too loved East meets West, (or the Suns version of Cagneys) and liked most of the food throughout all the restaurants.

The only other ship I had sailed on was The Dawn, and to be honest, the Dawn was a LOT easier to get around then the Sun IMHO. That said, the crew on the Sun was second to none. They made us 'inside staterooms' feel like we were in the Owners' Suite.

The ship is a little tired in spots (soon to be dry docked I believe) but I really did have a great time and loved my stateroom - which was bigger then the one I had on the Dawn (window).

Enjoy your cruise, envy, envy, wish I was going.

I think the things that make the Sun starnd out are:1-the crew. There is none better: 2-the cabins are laid out well and Las Rambles..I know, no one sails because of a few late afternoon snacks, but when I think Sun, I think Las Rambles.

Nita

Wife and I and the rest of the family sailed on the Sun in 2008. We enjoyed the cruise as we went to Alaska. I do enjoy the Pearl and the Star better (Before they moved the Spinnaker Lounge on the Star) I did not like the Steak House on her. I thought I got a better meal at the regular MDR and was disappointed. But the Buffet was great and loved the waffles. You will love the cruise, have a great time.

Wife and I and the rest of the family sailed on the Sun in 2008. We enjoyed the cruise as we went to Alaska. I do enjoy the Pearl and the Star better (Before they moved the Spinnaker Lounge on the Star) I did not like the Steak House on her. I thought I got a better meal at the regular MDR and was disappointed. But the Buffet was great and loved the waffles. You will love the cruise, have a great time.

Just to clarify: on the Sun the waffles are not served in the buffet but are in the Pacific Heights restaurant. They are delicious, so don't miss them.

When we were on the Sun for our Panama Canal cruise I'd get some of my breakfast in the buffet, then take my plate to Pacific Heights to get a waffle with whipped cream and strawberries. Yummers. Pacific Heights restaurant is free. If you are going there for dinner it is best to make reservations.

MARYKAY ~ "Hi!", btw. What month in 2006 were you on the Sun? I just realized we may have sailed together ... we were on her in April, 17 days from Miami to SF.

We really love the Sun. Why? 1) The best crew! 2) Pacific Heights. 3) Il Adagio. 4) Smaller ship.

Can't wait for our 26 days on her in just a month's time (with MaryKay and her Joe) YAY!!!!

~dianne

Archived