Baltimore

willing292

I'm assuming that the cruise ship terminal is a reasonable cab ride away from most of the downtown hotels? or am I asssuming wrong?

should we stay in the INNER HARBOR area or is there somewhere else closer to the pier?

We will be flying into Baltimore so we also need transportation from BWI to our hotel.

all suggestions are welcome as we've never been to Baltimore.:confused:

The Cruise Ship terminal is located just minutes (by car) from the Inner Harbor. I would recommend staying at the Inner Harbor and enjoying this area which is quite nice. The BWI airport is only around 10 minutes from the Harbor so I would just take a taxi.

Keith

The cab will work from BWI (only about 12 miles from downtown). There is only one taxi company that is allowed to pick up passengers at BWI; all others are limited to drop offs. Super Shuttle also offers service from BWI to the Baltimore area hotels.

Since you won't have a car the Inner Harbor or Harbor East areas are probably best for you. There is nothing closer to the Cruise Maryland Terminal, which is generally less than 10 minute cab ride from the Inner Harbor.

I second Keith's motion to stay at an Inner Harbor hotel. The Baltimore Inner Harbor is a great place for sightseeing, shopping and eating! If you like Italian food, walk a few blocks to "Little Italy" and try Sabitino's or Gia's - two of or favorites. Sailing from Baltimore is great and as stated before the terminal is very close to downtown and the Inner Harbor.

As far as hotels, the Renaissance is directly across the street from the Inner Harbor and even has a skywalk to the upper level entrance of one of the pavillions. If you want to do a "Price Line" bid - select the Inner Harbor area and 3 or 4 stars. Depending on when you'll be there, you can score a good hotel for around a $115 bid or less. (We've gotten the Renaisance for as low as $85.)

Hope this is helpful - and enjoy Baltimore and your cruise!

I'm assuming that the cruise ship terminal is a reasonable cab ride away from most of the downtown hotels? or am I asssuming wrong?

should we stay in the INNER HARBOR area or is there somewhere else closer to the pier?

We will be flying into Baltimore so we also need transportation from BWI to our hotel.

all suggestions are welcome as we've never been to Baltimore.:confused:

Hi Shirley...same suggestion. Stay at an Inner Harbor or Harbor East hotel. There's nothing closer. You'll be approximately 4 miles from the cruise terminal. Taxi it from BWI. ;)

cab fare from the pier to the Harbor East area was between $11 and 14.....

we stayed at the Renaissance which was lovely, and a few weeks ago I stayed one night at the Marriott Waterfront over in Harbor East...one of my all time favorite marriott hotels.....gorgeous. Just know that in summer there are often concerts in an amphitheatre adjacent to the hotel and you WILL hear music til about 11 at night.......

The Airport Shuttle at TheAirportShuttle.com or 1-800-776-0323 offers shuttle service from BWI to Baltimore and from the port to BWI. It is a shared ride. They are very reliable and we have a reservation with them for our upcoming cruise. Take a cab from your hotel to the port which is very close to the Inner Harbor

Alot of hotels at the Inner Harbor area or at the airport offer a stay and cruise package. You can leave your car at the hotel and the offer free shuttle to and from the terminal. We're leaving next Sunday out of Baltimore and we are staying at the Best Western on O'Donnell St in Baltimore and they have the package.

Just be back in the hotel before dark. Stay visible on main streets with the other tourists.

You mean for those staying at the Best Western, right? Because you can definitely walk around the Inner Harbor and Harbor East after dark. What I remember about the Best Western (have only driven by it) is that it's near the highway and there isn't really anything to walk to anyway.

I think the poster was indeed referring to the hotel area, not the Inner Harbor, as far as nightime safety is concerned.

However, you won't be out on the streets on foot around the hotel. There are no attractions for you. That site is ideal for what it really is: a transportation hub. That hub includes a truck stop and a bus terminal on the ground floor of the Best Western. You can get your Greyhound, MegaBus, Peter Pan or Trailways right at the hotel. The "Chinese" bus parks on a road across the street.

Your biggest advantage is that you can get from the Best Western to the Maryland Cruise Terminal in about ten minutes.

Our group is looking at Sleep Inn Airport which offers free shuttle service from the airport and also to the port. Is this a safe area? The price is great. We will need transportation from the ship to the airport when we go home. What would be best for this?

Our group is looking at Sleep Inn Airport which offers free shuttle service from the airport and also to the port. Is this a safe area? The price is great. We will need transportation from the ship to the airport when we go home. What would be best for this?

the Hampton inn has 2 packages one includes parking and the shuttle to/from the port and the other one just the shuttle.

I am originally from Baltimore. I agree that the Best Western on O'Donnell is a bit removed from the Inner Harbor Area. And it does have the bus station attached to it. I stayed there about 5 years ago during a reunion and the rooms were just being remodelled. No problems with the station and they had free shuttle service to the Harbor. However, I think spending time and staying at the Inner Harbor would be most enjoyable and allow you to walk around and enjoy the scenery and often times entertainment well into the evening. Also, during the summer, on the far side of the inner harbor near the Rusty Scrupper Restaurant, there are international festivals on the weekends. Each weekend a different culture is celebrated with food, music, entertainment, etc. Whenever, I return to Baltimore, I make atleast one stop at the Harbor.:D

Archived