Malta Hypogeum Tickets

We have scheduled a private tour in Malta for the day we are there and one of the couples joining us had already purchased tickets for the Hypogeum before this tour became available. Now, we won't go to the Hypogeum until afternoon and their tickets are for the morning.

My question is...Are the tickets name specific or time specific and could she list them on our roll call and sell them to someone else instead of losing the money? The time of her tickets is showing only one available and it is a desirable time.

Any help is appreciated.

We haven't been able to find an email address for the ticket supplier to ask this question.

Thanks everyone.

Well, they are certainly time specific, because the number of visitors allowed in at any one time is strictly controlled, groups of 10 I believe, with a maximum of 80 visitors a day. So you have to go at the time shown on your ticket. I can't see why they would be name specific though, so my guess is she would be able to sell them.

We have scheduled a private tour in Malta for the day we are there and one of the couples joining us had already purchased tickets for the Hypogeum before this tour became available. Now, we won't go to the Hypogeum until afternoon and their tickets are for the morning.

My question is...Are the tickets name specific or time specific and could she list them on our roll call and sell them to someone else instead of losing the money? The time of her tickets is showing only one available and it is a desirable time.

Any help is appreciated.

We haven't been able to find an email address for the ticket supplier to ask this question.

Thanks everyone.

Hi There....just read your post - I really hope someone else will purchase those tickets from them. I sent you a private message letting you know that I have put the deposit down on our Malta Tour and I am waiting for confirmation. Hopefully the tickets for the Hypogeum are time specific...and they wont have any trouble selling them....I will email you later.

They are time specific, but not name specific. I don't remember them even looking at any kind of identification when we went through last October. But they are very strict, if you miss your time slot you are indeed out of luck, we showed up at the beginning of the tour before ours just to make sure we were there on time. We walked around the area for a bit not far. We also went to the other ruins in the area first, they are in the open air and are only a few blocks away from the Hypogeum and there are signs posted on how to get from one to the other.

• 1 year later...
They are time specific, but not name specific. I don't remember them even looking at any kind of identification when we went through last October. But they are very strict, if you miss your time slot you are indeed out of luck, we showed up at the beginning of the tour before ours just to make sure we were there on time. We walked around the area for a bit not far. We also went to the other ruins in the area first, they are in the open air and are only a few blocks away from the Hypogeum and there are signs posted on how to get from one to the other.

This is correct, time not name specific so you should be able to sell them to someone else but BE THERE ON TIME. The other site SK is refering two is the Tarxien Temples a few blocks away. We rode the public bus to Paola and went the the temples first and then the Hypogeum. We docked at 8:00 and had 10:00 reservations.

We will be visiting Malta on Celebrity this July. Is Hypogeum worth visiting or you would suggest some other trips on Malta? Thank you

That is hard to answer as everyone likes different things. We certainly enjoyed them, they are very unique and as posted above only 80 people a day are allowed in so not everyone gets to see them. They are a mystery that even after you see them you will not really know who was there and why. The visit starts with a 10 minute movie and then you go down into the Hypogeum. It is very cave like. There is a guide who takes you.

In Malta most people walk the town or go on tours of the countryside, a handful go to the Hypogeum. We did the Hypogeum in the morning and the town in the afternoon (the town is quite the walk, lots of up and down hills).

• 3 weeks later...

You can book tickets for the Hypogeum through a website called heritagemalta dot org. There is an interactive calendar on which you can select dates with open time slots (at the moment it appears to be fully booked through June 5, except for one day). That website also has some description and photos of the site (also called "Hal Saflieni"), although others provide more information ( e.g., search "ancient-wisdom" and you will find a website focusing on ancient ruins with better pictures and background info).

Archived