What's your favorite type of post?

6502programmer

What's your favorite type of post?  

136 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favorite type of post?

• "Sharing sips is stealing" beverage package posts.
    • "Sharing is caring" beverage package posts.
    • "Just because I don't tip on nights I don't eat dinner in the MDR doesn't mean I'm cheap."
    • "We tip so well that the crew name their children after us."
    • "Why can't I wear my speedos in the MDR on formal night?"
    • "Why don't they lock people who wear jeans in the MDR up in the brig?"
    • "Why can't I do [x]? It's my vacation!"
    • "When will Celebrity finally only allow smoking on a wakeboard towed behind the ship?"
    • "Why won't Celebrity let me smoke where I want to, including the infirmary, bridge, and kids club?"
    • "Is 8:15a too early to fly when we get to the port at 7:00a?"
    • "The food was so bad on my cruise that I only had two entrees each night!"
    • "You should never use a travel agent. They aren't working for you!"
    • "You should always use a travel agent. They always work for you!"
    • Another self-serving poll!

Perhaps you find these sort of polls to be entertaining, however, the very essence of CC IMHO is to provide a forum where people can get advice, suggestions, and their questions answered by people who are passionate about cruising. What I see in your list, and the underlying tone is this is more of a rant/complaint/negative approach to CC. I think this post was completely uncessary. Think about it from the perspective of a new commer to these forums, they would read a thread/poll such as this one and turn around and never use CC for what it is ment to be (a really good reasource). Thread like this "turn people off" of using these forums because they percieve them to be rude, off-putting, and with a sense pompus attitude.

Where has the PASSION for cruising gone? If you spend too much time on these forums and are tired of the forementioned poll topics, perhaps it is time to move on. There are lot of people who are still looking for the right answers, and many do not and will not use the "search" option, it is there right to come onto these forums and seek the right answers, no matter how simplistic, funny, or "rant worthy" you find them.

Honestly, I feel sorry for the newbies (and I do use the term affectionately, believe it or not). Simply put, there are far too many opinions about irrelevant topics for less savvy folks to find the nuggets of wisdom.

I've been involved in online forums for nearly three decades now (from CIS to BBS to Fidonet to Usenet to web forums), and this may well be one of the cantankerously acrimonious ones I've ever been involved in. Some topics inspire fervent discussion from folks on both sides, all without providing any real, relevant information to the newbs.

Sadly, that's what will happen in nearly any online forum, given sufficient participation. Even one that is composed of people of an almost identical mindset, they will still find things to poke each other over. I don't know what that critical mass is, but whatever number, I'm sure Cruise Critic as a whole, and this board even, are well over that.

Although it wasn't entirely clear, I guess this was my way of showing, in a sardonically sarcastic way (which is the lingua franca of the folks most in need of it) that perhaps we're growing long on opinion and short on facts and information. If we don't regulate that balance ourselves, we run the risk of having it regulated for us--Something I'm pretty sure EVERYONE can agree we don't want.

Here's some fun for Friday.. What's everyone's favorite post types? There are only fourteen slots, so if it's something else, feel free to comment! :D

I totally forgot about one! The evergreen "I should be allowed to smuggle my bar setup and run a speakeasy" posts.

A little bit of humour never killed anyone. A number of folks freely entered into the frivolity and willingly took part in the poll. Some individuals prefer a consistent serious tone...others do not. To each his/her own. I'm just thankful to live in a free society where such choices are permitted.

Honestly, I feel sorry for the newbies (and I do use the term affectionately, believe it or not). Simply put, there are far too many opinions about irrelevant topics for less savvy folks to find the nuggets of wisdom.

I've been involved in online forums for nearly three decades now (from CIS to BBS to Fidonet to Usenet to web forums), and this may well be one of the cantankerously acrimonious ones I've ever been involved in. Some topics inspire fervent discussion from folks on both sides, all without providing any real, relevant information to the newbs.

Sadly, that's what will happen in nearly any online forum, given sufficient participation. Even one that is composed of people of an almost identical mindset, they will still find things to poke each other over. I don't know what that critical mass is, but whatever number, I'm sure Cruise Critic as a whole, and this board even, are well over that.

Although it wasn't entirely clear, I guess this was my way of showing, in a sardonically sarcastic way (which is the lingua franca of the folks most in need of it) that perhaps we're growing long on opinion and short on facts and information. If we don't regulate that balance ourselves, we run the risk of having it regulated for us--Something I'm pretty sure EVERYONE can agree we don't want.

So for those of us who don't care for your rant or your use of fanciful words to substantiate what your trying to say; you feel bad for the "new bies" because they have so much useless information to sort through, yet, you add to the pandemonium by adding more useless crap to the forums?

...Because THAT makes so much sense. Just like your logic....just because thats what you have experienced for the past 30 years makes it ok?! Not so much !

Perhaps you find these sort of polls to be entertaining, however, the very essence of CC IMHO is to provide a forum where people can get advice, suggestions, and their questions answered by people who are passionate about cruising. What I see in your list, and the underlying tone is this is more of a rant/complaint/negative approach to CC. I think this post was completely uncessary. Think about it from the perspective of a new commer to these forums, they would read a thread/poll such as this one and turn around and never use CC for what it is ment to be (a really good reasource). Thread like this "turn people off" of using these forums because they percieve them to be rude, off-putting, and with a sense pompus attitude.

Where has the PASSION for cruising gone? If you spend too much time on these forums and are tired of the forementioned poll topics, perhaps it is time to move on. There are lot of people who are still looking for the right answers, and many do not and will not use the "search" option, it is there right to come onto these forums and seek the right answers, no matter how simplistic, funny, or "rant worthy" you find them.

Get a grip!

It would be swell if this were truly the informative resource for all things cruising, but any "factual" material quickly becomes "editorial" because we all have a different perception due to individual needs and desires.

You all need to take these posts with a big grain of salt.

PS, YOUR posts would be a lot more credible if you learned how to spell -- perhaps they will have a writing seminar on your next sailing.

wow someone really wants to poopoo all the fun.

the fun thing about the boards aside from getting new information and learning things is getting to know people and conversing and enjoying the "company" of the online community. if all I wanted was info without the interaction, might as well just do a google search and find info with no interaction/feedback opportunities!

to everyone else, enjoy the friday :) i didn't realize people had so much fun on the boards on fridays :)

The discussion about military people get price reductions when they sign waivers not to hog deck chairs and agree to be thrown into the brig if anyone sips from their alcohol drinks. However their price reduction is revoked if they are found wearing anything but a pre-approved tux in the MDR. Of course I like the discussions that the specialty restaurant people who don't tip because they don't use the MDR get upset because they don't get a discount on the premium alcohol package so they cruise over to the Carnival board to learn new and better smuggling techniques :cool:

HAPPY FRIDAY....YEAHHHHHH

As someone posted on this board not too long ago: "Lighten up, Francis."

Here's some fun for Friday.. What's everyone's favorite post types? There are only fourteen slots, so if it's something else, feel free to comment! :D

Will I enjoy a cruise with my 4 children all under the age of 5?

Giggle. My favorites are ones like this...a light , frothy topic that gets someone into a mad frenzy. Yes , CC is about information , but it is also a social tool which allows people to banter , tease and I guess , rave.

it's true, you can never be sure what will set people off, there is a thread regarding suites...what suite would you want if money was no object...should be fun, but turned into a discussion of the dangers of caste ranking in the modern era...befuddling & priceless;)

I totally agree with you. Are you planning on cruising soon?

YES!! cant wait until we are able to book ... its going to be either Sep or Nov Eastern Carribbean on the Solstice ... we just have to wait for my DH's passport to arrive

Thank u all for this site ... sooo helpful and funny ;)

Yup - a lot of posts on certain topics allow folks to get stuff off their chests without a lot of harm. Another "favorite" topic might be: "Why can't I allow my toddler wearing diapers in the pool or hot tub."

But let me digress for a moment please. There really ARE great and helpful topics that these boards have provided to me - info that is generally not available from either a TA or the X web site. For instance: cabin selection, "the hump", the Sweet Sixteen, and how to get an FOV on an M class ship if there are only 2 of you. Where are the window washing machines? How good is Blu? Prices of drinks and a guide to analyzing the cost effectiveness of beverage packages. Inside info on ports and shore excursions - often from folks who really live there or have recently been there. Tips on what time to go and where to go for some of best food on certain ships - breakfast waffles in the very farthest back area of Mercury! (Can't wait for Nov cruise!) Tips on hotels available at the departure port, and the price of Taxis.

So....while I am laughing at the silliness of the original poll, I am thinking of all the real, serious, effective help I have gained from reading these boards!

A huge virtual hug and grateful thanks to all who have been so helpful with good information! You have added immensely to my experiences in cruising.

Archived