I want to rent a Jeep, should I?

brianroberts2526

I bought the map from mapchick back in 06 for our honeymoon and planned on renting a car in Cozumel, but we ended up in COsta Maya.

I want to do it again, when I am there in a couple weeks.

The more and more I read on here, it seems it is a risky proposition. Am I overreacting?

I would do insurance, probably rent through Avis. Is it still too risky?

Yes do rent a jeep. My friends and I went on a girls only cruise and we did this even though we were a little scared to do this without our husbands. THE BEST time I have had and teh most relaxing. The road is a circle around the island with a road in the middle. You can not get lost. We stopped when ever we wanted at beach side bars and shopping areas. Never a problem.

We are interested in doing this also, or at least renting some type of vehicle big enough for 4 people. We used to go to Cozumel once or twice a year back in the eighties and early nineties. I've been back twice in recent years off of a cruise ship, but my husband has not. He wants to rent a car so he can go wherever he wants to see all the changes to the island.

Suggestions on how to arrange rental prior to arrival? Can you have someone meet you with a car? Prices? Best places to rent from?

Thanks.

Susan

If you do rent a jeep...please use a designated driver who is not drinking that day. And make sure everyone is buckled up. Here's a link to cozumel insider which gives some driving tips and othe rinformation about getting around, like where the 3 gas stations are and watching the pump to be sure it's reset before you fill up.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/CARRENT

Avis has rental agencies at all piers and the airport. Links are on the cozumelinsider site.

There's also Ernesto's http://www.ernestosrental.com/ for Jeeps and scooters.

Any car will do at Cozumel. There is really nowhere to go off-road, so not worth paying a premium for a jeep. It is wise to get full insurance coverage, because if any damage occures they will detain you until you pay up.

Avis all the way! Depending on how many ships are in port that day, you might want to consider making the reservation online.

$100 for the day including the supplemental insurance.

The cool thing about renting a Jeep is that they are convertible :cool:.

Just bring plenty of cash to payoff cops if you have a fender bender.

It literally implies that a foreigner can have a simple “fender bender” and end up in jail being accused of attempted murder. Why or how? All it takes for this to happen is exactly what has happened to Mauricio and I: local police in collusion with a criminal judge and an unethical lawyer can all work together to EXTORT foreigners out of cash, property or whatever in exchange for NOT BEING CHARGED WITH A CRIME. Bail is not available to those charged with attempted murder so the poor guy who just had a fender bender will sit in a Mexican prision (like they are trying to do to us) for up to a year just waiting for his case to go before the judge….or else he will PAY THE EXTORTION which then gets divided up amongst those in collusion.

CozumelInsider dot com

So it looks like I will go for it, most replies were positive except one which I didn't understand to well.

I think I will go with avis and get a convertible. Two questions though. What places are must-sees? And which pier will the emerald princess be arriving at.

I believe Princess ship will generally dock in Puerto Maya, but that pier only takes 2 ships at present so they may dock at Punta Langosta, downtown if there are more than 2 Carnival or Princess ships in port that day. Check cruisett.com for a lisiting of ships scheduled in Cozumel when you are in port.

As far as must sees? In a car, I would drive south stop at Discover Mexico if you're interested in history (1/2 mile from Puerto maya) then on to Paradise Beach for a nice morning pick me up and maybe some sand time. All the resort beaches are along this portion of the road. Head on south and visit the Lighthouse/eco park (about 30 minutes total $10 pp entry) then coming out of the park keep right past the Rasta Bar ( also a good drink stop) and head up the east side for some nice views. DW likes Playa Bonita for lunch but Coconuts just up the road sits on the highest point and has great views. Continue up the east side to the transverse road turn left (only turn) and head toward San Miguel. Other bars/ restaurants worth a stop along the East side are Chen Rio (where you can swim if its not too rough), and Mezcalitos at the turn to the transverse road (great seafood here too!!). On the transverse road, there's a "tequila factory" down a ways on your right side, great stop if you like tequila. Unless you are into all ruins, pass by the turnoff to San Gervasio. Head on into San Miguel and do some shopping--great pottery place as you come into the town-- or once you get to the ocean head left back to the pier (if you are docked at PL, you're back).

I believe Princess ship will generally dock in Puerto Maya, but that pier only takes 2 ships at present so they may dock at Punta Langosta, downtown if there are more than 2 Carnival or Princess ships in port that day. Check cruisett.com for a lisiting of ships scheduled in Cozumel when you are in port.

As far as must sees? In a car, I would drive south stop at Discover Mexico if you're interested in history (1/2 mile from Puerto maya) then on to Paradise Beach for a nice morning pick me up and maybe some sand time. All the resort beaches are along this portion of the road. Head on south and visit the Lighthouse/eco park (about 30 minutes total $10 pp entry) then coming out of the park keep right past the Rasta Bar ( also a good drink stop) and head up the east side for some nice views. DW likes Playa Bonita for lunch but Coconuts just up the road sits on the highest point and has great views. Continue up the east side to the transverse road turn left (only turn) and head toward San Miguel. Other bars/ restaurants worth a stop along the East side are Chen Rio (where you can swim if its not too rough), and Mezcalitos at the turn to the transverse road (great seafood here too!!). On the transverse road, there's a "tequila factory" down a ways on your right side, great stop if you like tequila. Unless you are into all ruins, pass by the turnoff to San Gervasio. Head on into San Miguel and do some shopping--great pottery place as you come into the town-- or once you get to the ocean head left back to the pier (if you are docked at PL, you're back).

What he Said! :D, btw, Playa Bonita Restaurant and Beach has some great pic taking opportunties.

Wow, thanks, great post.

BTW, the Emerald will be in port with the Valor, Conquest, and Liberty of the Seas. Seems like a busy day.

DH and I rented a jeep in 2008, and we had a great day. This is typical for us, rent a car and just drive all over. We have done it in St Maarten twice, and in St Thomas. However, be aware. I had a reservation with Avis, but when we came out of the port there were agents offering cars for rent. They promised to match the Avis price (about $100) and claimed to be much closer. Stupid me :o....should have stuck with the Avis rental. The jeep was old and a standard. I had reserved an automatic. DH drives a standard about once a year, so the first 10 minutes were a little rocky! Plus the final cost ended up about $20 more than Avis. All day we drove around and saw these other families in their shiny new red jeeps, and us in the junky one. Oh well, live and learn!:)

PS I agree with crewsweepers intinerary, we loved Punta Sud park at the southern tip of the island--saw my first barracuda. We missed the transverse road, and got a little lost but found an American to ask directions.! Great views along the coast road once you exit the congested town area.

From what I have read on these boards, I wouldn't rent a vehicle while on a cruise in Coz.

Yes, it's a wonderful day on the island IF all goes well. HOWEVER, if you have a "fender bender" you can have some serious issues getting back on the boat in time. You can prolly find the threads pretty easily if you search but there have been instances of what can best be described as a "shake down" from Mexican officials when investigating even accidents with minor damage. It usually involves "fines" of many hundred's of $ while trying to communicate with locals who don't speak English well. People end up paying in just so they can get back on the ship before it leaves. And, having any kind of insurance didn't seem to matter.

Odds are, you won't have any problems but I just wouldn't risk it. There are threads about taxi companies where you can rent a driver for a day and he'll take you wherever you want to go. I'd recommend that!

Yes, but in a thread a little while later, he went on to say:

"Also read my experiance at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=453863

Yes, I would still rent a car. The accident could have easily occured in the US. At least now you will be aware of the process in case it happens and that you could possibly miss your ship. I lucked up, barely. Make sure you have full coverage and ZERO deductable. It saved me $600."

Yes, but in a thread a little while later, he went on to say:

"Also read my experiance at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=453863

Yes, I would still rent a car. The accident could have easily occured in the US. At least now you will be aware of the process in case it happens and that you could possibly miss your ship. I lucked up, barely. Make sure you have full coverage and ZERO deductable. It saved me $600."

Yeah, but he also went on to say that had the accident occurred 30 minutes later, they wouldn't have made it back to the ship on time. Is it likely to happen? Prolly not. Am I gonna risk missing the ship when I can rent a driver for a day? I don't think so. If I were staying on Coz, I'd be much more likely to rent a car. The time thing is my main concern.

Absolutely, I've done it about 4 times and had a blast every time. Like others said, the island is easy to get around and the other side of the island is much quieter and the beach is beautiful. We usually get a car instead of a jeep, I think the last time it was around 450 pesos, plus insurance and gas. So, the total ended up being around 700 pesos, much cheaper and more comfortable in my opinion.

Archived