Tell your favorite things to do in Mazatlan

jerseysmom

We cruised the Mexican Riviera 2 years ago and had a great time on Princess. DH wants to take a fall cruise on Mariner (RCI) to same ports. Mazatlan was my least favorite port last time. After reading some posts on the CC boards we followed some ideas that were presented. We were among first off ship and walked down the street to the water taxi shed which took us across to Stone Island. It was an overcast morning, no one about and very cool and romantic on a deserted beach as we walked in the surf. We eventually met a few people whose dogs were frolicking in the surf that we enjoyed talking to (the people & the dogs!). As we wandered along (the tide was out) we found quite a bit of horse plop, dog plop and 3 dead snakes at the water's edge. Hours later on our way back (the tide had come in) all that had been washed back out in the surf. It may not bother you but it did me :p. Sorry, maybe I'm the resort type...so I'd love to hear about some of your favorite days in Mazatlan, aside from Stone Island. We're not drinkers but do like history and scenery. Looking forward to your suggestions.

I am interested too...we have similar interests...

We are thinking of eating at Tonys on the Beach and maybe shopping in the golden zone.

ps...what is the "golden zone"...I figured it was the main turisto area:p

Just do a Google search on Mazatlan Frank. We went with him last October and had a very nice day... a bit of sightseeing downtown (in van and on foot), cliff divers, lunch at Tony's on the Beach, more sightseeing in the suburbs... all in all a very nice day in a van for 6 at a very good price. Highly recommended.

You can hire a pulmonia taxi for about 20 dollars per hour and tell the driver what you want to do and see.

I would suggest going through the cruise ship's tour list and write down the things that interest you. Give this to the pulmonia driver and ask how long it will take and the cost.

On one visit, we walked the approximately one mile to the Pacifico/Corona brewery, where we were given a very inclusive tour, followed by a beer at the "top of the tower" lounge. They also gave each of us a small momento brochure with our picture included. Cost ..........zero, plus some good exercise. In a prior visit, we just walked to the cathedral for a self-tour, followed by some local window shopping. The Princess ships seems pretty liberal in allowing passengers to bring beverages purchased ashore back onto the ship. One man in our brewery tour hauled four quarts of Pacifico back to the ship. We only took one.

On our most recent trip we walked westerly out of the dock area (crossing the divided road just outside the dock). We just headed southwest to the hill that we could see about 1/2 mile away. It got much less crowded immediately. We walked past two of three schools that were in session, encountering the old custom house. We then walked southerly to the end of the port area (only a couple of blocks), until we found the surf zone of the coast. Very scenic. Nice homes on the hillside. We then followed the coast road around the hill to the old town of Mazatlan. A nice art museum, museum of archeology, internet cafes, non-expensive restaurants and bars. We bought some jewelry; and, then had a couple of 15 peso beers before walking back to the ship. There was much more to see in that area that we didn't have time to visit. We'll save that for our next visit. We used to think that Mazatlan was not worth leaving the ship for; but, have changed our minds.

YOu can also take the trolley tour which is only $ 25 per person, the trolley parked within the terminal.

Last time we were in Maz, we did the hotel day pass at El Cid.

You can do the trolley tour but for $15 or so more you get a much better tour of Mazatlan if you try Mazatlan Frank. I loved our tour with Frank back in 2008. I was in Mazatlan again this year and did the trolley tour and found it very disappointing.

I've been to Mazatlan on a cruise 7 or 8 times (loosing track) and the tour we took with Mazatlan Frank was by far my favorite day there.

We really liked the all day City tour as we got to see so many different neighborhoods and parts of Mazatlan and went to Tony's on the Beach for lunch. The colonial areas are fine but we did prefer the all day city tour.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong. Enjoy your time!

I emailed Frank and he was back with me in just a few days. WHICH tour was your favorite? We were looking at the Colonial/City one but would like your input before we decide. Thanks!

We did the colonial/city tour last summer and really enjoyed the old part of Mazatlan and the area - so interesting and amazing that people make a living like that. Wish we could back for more mangoes - got 6 for $1.50 and they were so ripe and good. The fresh baked bread was the best!

We were in Mazatlan August 5th (Carnival Splendor) and booked on-line with Randi's Happy Horses (thru her website w/same name). I sent her date of arrival, number in party....we corresponded via email...she gave perfect directions on how to meet her staff at the terminal.

The cost was $45/pp...we paid in cash that day, after the horseback ride (and incl. tips for the awesome service!). That price included being met at the terminal, truck ride to the water taxi, water taxi to Stone Island, then short truck ride to the beach.

We were 'matched up' with our horses (all gentle) and had an amazing ride on the beach....so much fun! Then had plenty of time to swim in the ocean....warm and shallow for a long way out...then enjoyed lunch at Victor's...very casual....shady coverings, long tables & chairs....very good food...we had coconut shrimp....combo plates, beer & water....was about $40 for the 3 of us.

Then we returned to the terminal about 2pm...had plenty of time to shop around before returning to the ship. We will DEFINITELY book with Randi's Happy Horses when we return to Mazatlan.

Below is a link to a prior Cruise Critic post of our typical cruise port visit to Mazatlan; with lots of pictures that covers lots and LOTS of things we like to see and do in a full FULL cruise stop visit to Mazatlan...in the link below.

See ya there!

Love Mazatlan!

Get'n excit'd for this MR cruise Season => http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1145482&highlight=mazatlan

We were in Mazatlan August 5th (Carnival Splendor) and booked on-line with Randi's Happy Horses (thru her website w/same name). I sent her date of arrival, number in party....we corresponded via email...she gave perfect directions on how to meet her staff at the terminal.

The cost was $45/pp...we paid in cash that day, after the horseback ride (and incl. tips for the awesome service!). That price included being met at the terminal, truck ride to the water taxi, water taxi to Stone Island, then short truck ride to the beach.

We were 'matched up' with our horses (all gentle) and had an amazing ride on the beach....so much fun! Then had plenty of time to swim in the ocean....warm and shallow for a long way out...then enjoyed lunch at Victor's...very casual....shady coverings, long tables & chairs....very good food...we had coconut shrimp....combo plates, beer & water....was about $40 for the 3 of us.

Then we returned to the terminal about 2pm...had plenty of time to shop around before returning to the ship. We will DEFINITELY book with Randi's Happy Horses when we return to Mazatlan.

Great review, I can't wait to get back to Victor's !! :)

We were there in the Spring and used the van man (Ricardo Parente) and he was FABULOUS!!! We did horseback riding at Ginger's and she was great. She matched us up with our horse and got special attention from the guide - we had a 6 yr old with us and I have MS so he gave us special attention to make sure we were ok. There is a great place right there next to Ginger's for lunch and it was great. He also took on us to see the Malecon, the cliff divers, downtown, the market, the Flyers, and the Cathedral of Immac Conception. He provided a great a/c van and bottled waters and sodas for us. Very professional. $200 for the entire day for 9 people!! Tell him I sent you.

Matzatlanvanmantours dot com.

We were there in the Spring and used the van man (Ricardo Parente) and he was FABULOUS!!! We did horseback riding at Ginger's and she was great. She matched us up with our horse and got special attention from the guide - we had a 6 yr old with us and I have MS so he gave us special attention to make sure we were ok. There is a great place right there next to Ginger's for lunch and it was great. He also took on us to see the Malecon, the cliff divers, downtown, the market, the Flyers, and the Cathedral of Immac Conception. He provided a great a/c van and bottled waters and sodas for us. Very professional. $200 for the entire day for 9 people!! Tell him I sent you.

Matzatlanvanmantours dot com.

We are going to try Ginger's horses in October- thanks for the review....not as much about her on these boards since she is further out. My girls will be almost 6 years old when we go.

I hope you choose not to spend most of your time at an all-inclusive resort in Mazatlan. This city has so much more to offer in terms of history, art, beautiful and diverse neighborhoods, marketplaces, churches. Although, if you really like hanging out in a lounge chair, eating and drinking (at these AI's pretty average) than that's ok too. I like those types of days myself but just find that if you haven't been to Mazatlan and don't plan on going back often there is so much more to think about doing.

To the person who asked about Frank's all day City Tour - we met him at 8 or 830 in the morning and we were back at the cruise terminal about 3pm. He offered to make any other stops we wanted on the way back to the terminal but we all wanted to have a drink in the terminal area, check out a few of the trinket shops there and get on the ship.

Whatever you all decide to do on your Mexican Riviera cruise - have a great time. Enjoy some wonderful mexican food and if you drink - have a margarita or two!

We had a great tour with Mazatlan Frank last February. Frank was so accomodating and worked out what everyone wanted to do. We had a lot of fun at the luncheon at Tony's on the Beach and had an informative tour of Maxatlan. It was the best tour on our cruise.:)

Archived