Visitor facilities in Southampton.

leswor

We are leaving from Southampton in a weeks time and our daughter is driving us to the port. Can anyone tell me how far she can take us and can she park and have a tea / coffee with us before we board the ship?

We are leaving from Southampton in a weeks time and our daughter is driving us to the port. Can anyone tell me how far she can take us and can she park and have a tea / coffee with us before we board the ship?

4 terminals in Southampton.

Which terminal ? Alternatively, what ship/date?

At all four she'll be able to take you to the terminal entrance, but in other respects they vary.

John Bull

We sailed from Southhampton on a Royal Caribean ship. Our hotel, the Novotel was accross the street from the entrance to the port. There was a MacDonalds and another restaurant (something like a Friday's) and another hotel that all shared the same parking lot. Across the street there was a shopping center with plenty of parking. If I remember correctly, there was plenty of free public parking in the entire area.

I don't know how far away the other piers are from the Royal Caribean pier, but Southhampton is not a big city.

At the piers I've been to in Southampton, I don't remember seeing anyplace to sit or have coffee. It's a pretty industrial area. She won't be able to get very far into the terminal as you have to go through security and they check tickets at that point. Only booked guests can get past that area.

We are on celebrity Eclipse from 101 gate / terminal. So that means she will just have to drop us off at the security gate I assume?

101 berth is City Cruise Terminal. Eclipse sails from here on 21st Aug.

Simplest access to the terminal is via dock gate 8 - the terminal entrance is just a hundred yards inside the gate.

Or, if you are coming from the west and are faced with gridlock along West Quay Road, you can use dock gate 10 & turn left immediately inside the gate.

You will be allowed to drive in through either gate in order to drop passengers at the terminal entrance.

Check these out on Google-earth and on http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/plans.htm

But you will not be able to park your car unattended at the terminal, which really doesn't matter because there are no refreshment facilities (mebbe a drinks dispenser), just a reception area before the terminal's security gate.

So, for a farewell coffee:

The Holiday Inn, adjacent dock gate 8 is simplest.

Or, as EGG's post, there's a McDonald's (shares site with TGI Friday) at the western entrance to Harbour Parade off West Quay Road.

Or various outlets in West Quays Shopping Centre.

Or, my recommendation, continue to the eastern end of West Quay Road, forward across the roundabout & after the Isle of Wight car ferry entrance turn right at the lights onto Town Quay. Parking at the far end of the quay, & coffees. Good view of the ship from here. Then it's one minute's drive back to the roundabout & the first exit goes direct to dock gate 8 & the terminal.

John Bull

We sailed from Southhampton on a Royal Caribean ship. Our hotel, the Novotel was accross the street from the entrance to the port. There was a MacDonalds and another restaurant (something like a Friday's) and another hotel that all shared the same parking lot. Across the street there was a shopping center with plenty of parking. If I remember correctly, there was plenty of free public parking in the entire area.

I don't know how far away the other piers are from the Royal Caribean pier, but Southhampton is not a big city.

Hi EGG,

We are staying in the Novotel prior to our cruise on Independence in October. How far are we from the ship? Walk? Taxi?

Thanks

Are we there yet?

Hi EGG,

We are staying in the Novotel prior to our cruise on Independence in October. How far are we from the ship? Walk? Taxi?

Thanks

Are we there yet?

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/plans.htm

Indy will be at City Cruise Terminal, berth 101.

Novotel is between the rail station & Harbour Parade. Its about half a mile if you enter the docks via gate 10.

Because of luggage, most cruisers take a taxi, a minimum fare ride of just under £5 total.

But depending on you & your luggage it's walkable, flat ground, one very busy road crossing, but traffic lights mean that most pedestrians survive. :)

John Bull

ps you are not allowed to ask "are we there yet?" until you are at least 5% into the journey :D

As others have mentioned, you won't be able to have coffee together at the terminal. The Town Quay ("I" on the Google Earth map posted above) has cafes and excellent views of nearly the entire harbor and is a great place for ship spotting. If you're still around when your daughter's ship departs, this is a good place to be for departures from the Mayflower, City, and Ocean Terminals. Parking is plentiful. After coffee you can drop her at her terminal and return to the Town Quay for sailaway. And more coffee.

Mayflower Park is also good for viewing ship departures from Mayflower and City Terminals, and all ships sail past Hythe Pier, not seen on the map, but nearly opposite the QEII Terminal (N). You reach the Hythe Pier by ferry from Town Quay.

My friend and I walked from the Novotel ("C" on the above Google Earth map) to our ship at the Mayflower Terminal ("K" on the map). Unless you don't mind dragging your luggage across uneven, busy roads, I recommend a taxi. Even rolling suitcases tend to get very heavy after a while, not to mention those carry-ons. ;) Roads that seem nice and smooth when driving are a different story when rolling your heavy luggage along them. :D

Great info!

Thanks

Are we there yet?

Hey, DD, we roll our luggage from Novotel to Ocean terminal, stopping at various shops on the way, and a break at Holiday Inn for coffee, plus a ship watch in the Mayflower Park....no probs! By the time we get all the way down, it's 11.30, the porters are grabbing cases, and it's time to go and check in.

Enjoy!

Jo.

Archived