Debit Cards for S&S Account

No problems with using a debit card. Just be aware of Carnival's policy on placing initial holds on your account as well as additional holds as your S&S charges exceed a certain point. Standard stuff.

We have always used our DC wth no issues.

No problems with using a debit card. Just be aware of Carnival's policy on placing initial holds on your account as well as additional holds as your S&S charges exceed a certain point. Standard stuff.

We have always used our DC wth no issues.

Really? I used mine too and was not aware of the holds or more holds at certain limits. Where is the policy details, please. Thanks

We use ours for our short cruises. Just make sure that you call your bank to let them know the dates and ports that you will be visiting. Our credit union will not approve transactions unless we have contacted them prior to sailing, even for the S&S account. Your institution may not have the same rules but I am glad mine requires us to do this for my protection.

Really? I used mine too and was not aware of the holds or more holds at certain limits. Where is the policy details, please. Thanks

The "holds' and the release of any said "holds" are all at the descretion of your Financial Institution.

Anytime you use your debit card it get's a "hold" placed on it for a certain amount of funds. Even at the gas station, the grocery store, the local neighborhood mom and pop store, and Yes, Carnival.

These "holds" ensure 1. that you have funds in your account, and 2 that the merchant will be paid..

If you never see these "holds", then that means nothing more than your financial institution is not showing them to you and is covering you.

Not every financial institution covers people. Therefore, it is possible that a $500 charge can appear to be a reduction of available funds of $1000. $500 for the hold and $500 for the actual charge. The $500 hold will eventually be removed by the financial institution but could be a week or so before they do.

I used my debit card for my 2007 Triumph sailing. I cannot remember exactly how much the hold was but it remained on my card even after they ran the card for the total at the end of our voyage. For most people it wouldnt be a problem but I live paycheck to paycheck and it really messed me up.

I just avoid this altogether now by putting cash on my and DBF's S&S card upon embarkation. Did this on the Fantasy in June. It also helped to prepay the tips so we started out onboard with a zero balance. :)

I watch my account online pretty close, and even though I was not watching it while I was on board, I don't recall any hold showing when we got back home. However, I had prepaid into my s&s weeks before the cruise and at the time of the cruise I put up my check card for backup when the credits were gone. We did go over what we had prepaid by about $20 and that was the only charge I had pending. Maybe because the card was not my primary source of funds. I would have been PO if they would have blocked $500 with out telling me. I had drawed out alot of money to have cash for the cruise, I don't remember what my balance was but $500 could have caused some chaos in my account if I wasn't expecting the hold. Can you imagine?

. I would have been PO if they would have blocked $500 with out telling me. I had drawed out alot of money to have cash for the cruise, I don't remember what my balance was but $500 could have caused some chaos in my account if I wasn't expecting the hold. Can you imagine?

That's exactly what SOME people experience.

They come home thinking they've got $500 available in the bank, only to find out they're actually overdrawn. Now, of course they want to play the blame game. It's all the cruiselines fault. When in reality, it's their fault and their financial instituutions fault.

As was explained by some in the banking industry in an earlier thread, the bank is "supposed" to cross match any "hold" requests to "same transaction" and remove the holds as the actual transaction comes across. Not every financial institution does this.

This is from Carnival.Com FAQs on Sail and Sign Cards:

During embarkation, when your credit card is swiped, an initial approval of $50 is obtained. Then, throughout the voyage incremental holds will be obtained as needed. You should know, this will reduce the amount of available credit on the credit card or restrict the availability of cash in the checking/debit account. Authorization hold releases to your account is entirely up to your issuing bank.

All charges will be automatically billed at the end of the voyage. On the final morning of the cruise, a statement detailing all purchases made with your Sail & Sign card will be delivered to your stateroom. If you made a cash deposit and there is an overpayment at the end of the cruise, you will receive the overpayment in the form of a check, attached to the detailed statement received on the final morning of the cruise.

Cash Deposit:

U.S. Currency and Traveler's Checks may be used to open your Sail & Sign Account. Once on board, please visit our Guest Services Desk who will gladly assist you in opening your account. Throughout the cruise, as you approach the deposit limit, our Guest Services Desk will notify you that additional money must be deposited.

The "holds' and the release of any said "holds" are all at the descretion of your Financial Institution.

Anytime you use your debit card it get's a "hold" placed on it for a certain amount of funds. Even at the gas station, the grocery store, the local neighborhood mom and pop store, and Yes, Carnival.

These "holds" ensure 1. that you have funds in your account, and 2 that the merchant will be paid..

If you never see these "holds", then that means nothing more than your financial institution is not showing them to you and is covering you.

Not every financial institution covers people. Therefore, it is possible that a $500 charge can appear to be a reduction of available funds of $1000. $500 for the hold and $500 for the actual charge. The $500 hold will eventually be removed by the financial institution but could be a week or so before they do.

100% correct.

I don't care for debit card useage in this case as you are giving someone else permission to do what they want with yoru account.

A lot of consumers don't see the hold as they will fall off when a corresponding charge is run through. Some merchant service providers do things a bit different (or based on the retailer's wishes).

I've also seen some retailers i.e. gas stations put a larger hold than necessary. A local one here, runs a hold for $100 and then the corresponding charge is never matching thus the hold stays on for 4-5 days. I know they can arrange for the "pre-authorization" to not take but they refuse to change.

This doesn't bother me but to some of my customers, it does.

It makes sense taking cash as I do not like using a debit card in this case but a lot do. I never tell anyone what to do as I do not know their circumstances. Your call but they do take them.

Never, ever use your debit card for a hotel or onboard account. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

how so? the only way to avoid all of this hold issue is by having 2 cards..1 card is on file and has that hold while the other you use for other things

Personally, I would never use a card directly tied to my banking account, I would just bring cash and set up S&S with that. But, it is everyone's choice what they want to do. While hundreds might do this and never have a problem, there is always going to be someone who has had their account number stolen and their account drained.

Could it happen to you, yes. Will it, probably not.

Forgive my ignorance but how do you pre pay into your S&S account before you sail? Also we have always used a credit card for our cruises to set up our account but am opting to use cash this time around. Does it slow up the process when embarking?

Are the lines long at the Guest Services when you get on board to set up a cash S&S acct? Thanks.

When I cruised in May, we were the 2nd zone called onboard. (onboard a little after 11:30am) There was no line at Guest Services, so I was able to go there and put cash on our sign and sail accounts with no wait.

Carnival did advise that we could make 3 purchases on each account without any cash before they froze the accounts. So even if there is a long line and you don't feel like waiting, you should still be able to make a few purchases and put $$ on the accounts later when it isn't too busy.

how so? the only way to avoid all of this hold issue is by having 2 cards..1 card is on file and has that hold while the other you use for other things

If you are using a regular credit card and the cruise line makes a billing error and overcharges your account $3,000, you have plenty of time to work out the problem (at least until your next statement arrives) and get the charges reversed.

But, a billing error on your debit card has immediate impact and could easily result in bounced checks or automatic payments.

I would really like to know about this as well. I was planning on putting cash down, but am not too excited about traveling across the country with a wad of cash on me. If I could take care of it ahead of time that would be great!

Forgive my ignorance but how do you pre pay into your S&S account before you sail? Also we have always used a credit card for our cruises to set up our account but am opting to use cash this time around. Does it slow up the process when embarking?

Couple things:

1) you need cash in both accounts (maybe a problem for some people);

2) I've had customers not see any fraud issues with hotels until they get their statement.

I had one customer that used their debit card to just reserve a hotel room for their employees when they booked it. Then, the employees used their business credit card to pay for the room(s). When they got their statement, there was over $2,000 out of their account as someone fabricated their card and spent (presumably on Christmas presents due to the time of year) at WalMart, Denny's, Target, etc. They paid for someone's Christmas anyway. It caused a lot of brain damage on them and secondly, me.

To me, debit cards, no thanks.

I had one customer that used their debit card to just reserve a hotel room for their employees when they booked it. Then, the employees used their business credit card to pay for the room(s). When they got their statement, there was over $2,000 out of their account as someone fabricated their card and spent (presumably on Christmas presents due to the time of year) at WalMart, Denny's, Target, etc. They paid for someone's Christmas anyway. It caused a lot of brain damage on them and secondly, me.

To me, debit cards, no thanks.

It seems to me that this was done with a credit card since when you use a debit card inorder to make any kind of purchase in a store you need to enter in your pin. You can use your debit card as a credit card, however the bank will still process the transaction as a credit and not a debit. Overall, i think a debit is safer since you need to enter in your pin to complete the purchase wereas no one checks credit card signatures thesedays

Archived