Hotels in Venice, Florence and Rome??

jfer8580

Does anyone have any experiences with the hotels below as far as location and service? We would like to stay central to sightseeing and restaurants but we also want to make sure we stay in a decent place. Nothing fancy or over the top but it should at least be clean with a helpful staff.

We are planning two nights in Venice, one in Florence and three in Rome prior to our cruise.

Venice - Hotel Colombina, Rio Alto

Florence - Hotel Universo, Colomba, Santa Maria Novello

Rome - Hotel Grifo, Hotel Borromeo

Hi,

Not sure how you found these particular hotels? Did you use Trip Advisor? If not then here are some reviews from that site:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187870-d229066-Reviews-Colombina_Hotel_Locanda_Remedio-Venice_Veneto.html

Your hotel web site here shows a really cute map of how to walk from the vaporetto(water bus) stop.Or if you prefer you can pay for a private water taxi which will get you directly there. I don't know how much luggage you'll have so don't know if walking from the bus stop is an option for you??

For your Rome hotels:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d237193-Reviews-Hotel_Grifo-Rome_Lazio.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d228934-Reviews-Borromeo_Hotel-Rome_Lazio.html

The Borromeo reviews sound much better but I generally prefer a location nearer to the Pantheon like the Del Senato, which I love!!

I did get them from trip advisor but sometimes when reading through the reviews one bad one can overshadow a few good ones because bad ones seem to be more demonstrative. I figured I would pick ones that are in areas I want (or so I hope) with more good reviews than bad and then see if I could get some opinions here on CC from people who have stayed there.

Getting to and from the airport and then cruise port is less important to me than getting around for sightseeing and restaurants.

Yes, reviews can be a bit confusing sometimes! I usually ignore the ones from posters who do not have any other posts besides the review.

I have been to Venice multiple times on land vacations.

I do not know that specific hotel but Venice is a city that is quite easy to get around once you are there. It is quite walkable and the vaporetto system is great! I tend to stay in hotels away from San Marco but that is just MY preference.

In addition to asking on here I'd also post questions on Trip Advisor in each of the 3 city forums that interest you.

There are sooo many hotel choices it is hard to find folks that know all of them.

In Rome, we have stayed at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d236156-Reviews-Sant_anna-Rome_Lazio.html

It's near the Vatican on a lovely street, with quaint restaurants on the sidewalk. We have stayed in other hotels in Rome and have not had the same feeling of being really well taken care of!

On a cruise in June we stopped by Pia Borgo to visit the hotel. It's still as lovely as it was in '05 when we stayed there.

In Florence, we stayed at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d205772-Reviews-Atlantic_Palace-Florence_Tuscany.html

Great location, near train, Duomo and other major sites. Stayed there while our daughter spent a semester in Florence. Loved it!

In Rome, we have stayed at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187791-d236156-Reviews-Sant_anna-Rome_Lazio.html

It's near the Vatican on a lovely street, with quaint restaurants on the sidewalk. We have stayed in other hotels in Rome and have not had the same feeling of being really well taken care of!

On a cruise in June we stopped by Pia Borgo to visit the hotel. It's still as lovely as it was in '05 when we stayed there.

In Florence, we stayed at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187895-d205772-Reviews-Atlantic_Palace-Florence_Tuscany.html

Great location, near train, Duomo and other major sites. Stayed there while our daughter spent a semester in Florence. Loved it!

Thanks I'll check them out.

We stayed at Best B & B Pantheon. It was way cheaper than hotels, and was located within a 10 min walk to the Trevi, Pantheon, Colloseum, and the nearest subway station. It was very VERY clean (i.e. Neo-modern "sterile") and the lady that checked people in was very nice.

Just stayed at the Colombina in June 2010. Not sure what the Rio Alto designation is tho. It is a few minutes walk from St Mark's Square. We loved it. It has it's own water landing so were able to take a water taxi from the hotel to the AP at the end of our stay (paid the standard $100 euro for door to door service) and also we ended our cruise in Venice and Princess delivered luggage to our hotel on disembarkation (later that afternoon). Beautiful bathroom, wall safe, it had good A/C, beds were comfortable enough and very convenient to St Marks and it was quiet, no outside noise. Room was in great shape - nothing looked worn. The front desk spoke/understood English and was helpful. The keys are on a fringy bulky device that when you enter the room you stick into the wall. Any time you leave the hotel, you must turn your keys in at the front desk and retrieve when you return. Room had a gorgeous chandelier. I got a good price (rooms elsewhere were so much more expensive when I booked that I gambled and paid the nonrefundable rate here). Great location and above pluses - would not hesitate staying here again.

I can tell you where not to stay in venice - best western cavelletto e doge orseolo. Personally, I didn't care for it (some might).

Location was terrific though, right off st marks, and on a canal so you could techically take a vapetto right to the door (we didn't though).

The elevators were odd for some rooms (ours was good, but our traveling companions was not) and with heavy luggage, the elevators were key.

In Rome I loved our hotel, had the best HUGE bathtub (we fit 2 people in it lol) we stayed at Star Hotel Metropole which is a 5 minute walk (not even) to Termini, and despite what i'd heard, seemed very safe to me. Being close to the subway made all the sights in rome more accessible.

Have a great trip! I'm returning in october to both venice and rome, and can't wait! Only sad that i will only be in rome 1 day. Last time we did 3, like you, and still have lots left to do this year!

We needed a hotel for one night in Venice pre-cruise. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn Venice Mestre San Giuliano. It is brand new, they are just now taking reservations for after Oct. 1st. It is supposed to be very convienent to the cruise port and it says it provides a shuttle between the airport/hotel/venice and cruise port.

Sounded good to me!

Just stayed at the Colombina in June 2010. Not sure what the Rio Alto designation is tho. It is a few minutes walk from St Mark's Square. We loved it. It has it's own water landing so were able to take a water taxi from the hotel to the AP at the end of our stay (paid the standard $100 euro for door to door service) and also we ended our cruise in Venice and Princess delivered luggage to our hotel on disembarkation (later that afternoon). Beautiful bathroom, wall safe, it had good A/C, beds were comfortable enough and very convenient to St Marks and it was quiet, no outside noise. Room was in great shape - nothing looked worn. The front desk spoke/understood English and was helpful. The keys are on a fringy bulky device that when you enter the room you stick into the wall. Any time you leave the hotel, you must turn your keys in at the front desk and retrieve when you return. Room had a gorgeous chandelier. I got a good price (rooms elsewhere were so much more expensive when I booked that I gambled and paid the nonrefundable rate here). Great location and above pluses - would not hesitate staying here again.

Thanks, the Rio Alto is another hotel were considering. It is looking more and more like the Columbina is it although the hilton garden inn seems to be good as well. Location is what we want and this seems to be better than the hilton.....decisions....decisions!!

I can tell you where not to stay in venice - best western cavelletto e doge orseolo. Personally, I didn't care for it (some might).

Location was terrific though, right off st marks, and on a canal so you could techically take a vapetto right to the door (we didn't though).

The elevators were odd for some rooms (ours was good, but our traveling companions was not) and with heavy luggage, the elevators were key.

In Rome I loved our hotel, had the best HUGE bathtub (we fit 2 people in it lol) we stayed at Star Hotel Metropole which is a 5 minute walk (not even) to Termini, and despite what i'd heard, seemed very safe to me. Being close to the subway made all the sights in rome more accessible.

Have a great trip! I'm returning in october to both venice and rome, and can't wait! Only sad that i will only be in rome 1 day. Last time we did 3, like you, and still have lots left to do this year!

I was just looking at the Star Hotel Metropole but it is not available for the nights I am looking at......that is happening a lot and I'm not going until May of 2011. Bummer....I better put some on hold where I can cancel when the time comes.

We needed a hotel for one night in Venice pre-cruise. We chose the Hilton Garden Inn Venice Mestre San Giuliano. It is brand new, they are just now taking reservations for after Oct. 1st. It is supposed to be very convienent to the cruise port and it says it provides a shuttle between the airport/hotel/venice and cruise port.

Sounded good to me!

Do you know how far from St. Mark's the HGI is?

I was just looking at the Star Hotel Metropole but it is not available for the nights I am looking at......that is happening a lot and I'm not going until May of 2011. Bummer....I better put some on hold where I can cancel when the time comes.

You should be aware that some hotels may not be showing availability yet that far in advance. (This is common, at least in Italy....) If there's somewhere you are interested in, it's best to contact the hotel directly by email and ask about availability.

You should be aware that some hotels may not be showing availability yet that far in advance. (This is common, at least in Italy....) If there's somewhere you are interested in, it's best to contact the hotel directly by email and ask about availability.

Good point.....thanks!!

Not sure, but they have transportation to St. Mark's, I believe.

The hotel is 5.2 mi from the airport. The bus from the airport to the hotel is 1 Eur. and the Hotel shuttle is 10 Eur.

The hotel is on via Orlanda, if that helps...

This hotel is nearly five miles from Piazzale Roma, the last land street before you get to Venice proper. From there by boat to San Marco is about 20 minutes or so, or it's a mile and a half on foot.

Unless you really can't afford anything in Venice proper, I think this is a poor choice. I've offended people before by making this comparison, but it's like staying in Secaucus, NJ when you come to visit Manhattan. Yes, it's about five miles away by bus or train, but it's still Secaucus. Mestre is not Venice, not by a long shot.

I wonder if maybe they just havent opened up blocks of rooms that far in advance? Some hotels don't open up closer to dates. Maybe call them and ask, so you can know for sure. They were always helpful when we needed them. We didn't book until about 3 months out, and had no trouble getting 2 rooms in the hotel. Unless May is a lot more popular than October, i'd think you're just hitting a wall of no schedule yet. :-)

This hotel is nearly five miles from Piazzale Roma, the last land street before you get to Venice proper. From there by boat to San Marco is about 20 minutes or so, or it's a mile and a half on foot.

Unless you really can't afford anything in Venice proper, I think this is a poor choice. I've offended people before by making this comparison, but it's like staying in Secaucus, NJ when you come to visit Manhattan. Yes, it's about five miles away by bus or train, but it's still Secaucus. Mestre is not Venice, not by a long shot.

Thanks you for that comparison, that was what I was hoping to find out before I go. It made my mind up. We want to be able to walk around to see things and not always have to drive or take public transportation. We will when we have too. Thanks again.

I wonder if maybe they just havent opened up blocks of rooms that far in advance? Some hotels don't open up closer to dates. Maybe call them and ask, so you can know for sure. They were always helpful when we needed them. We didn't book until about 3 months out, and had no trouble getting 2 rooms in the hotel. Unless May is a lot more popular than October, i'd think you're just hitting a wall of no schedule yet. :-)

I think yiu're right, I have been talking with some other fdolks and they are findinh the same thing. I have started sending emails directly to the hotels to see what they say. Thanks.

Archived