A bunch of miscellaneous questions for a first time trip to Alaska

future1sttimecruiser

I am in the initial planning stages of an Alaskan cruise for summer 2012 and I’ve just started my initial research. I’ve been reading through a lot of threads and haven’t found the answers to some “burning” questions below J.

How far in advance do the most popular tours (i.e. Island Wings/Ketchikan*; Temsco helicopter* glacier and dog sled tour - Juneau or Skagway) need to be booked?

A year out? Six months?

Are there any tours/excursions that are better booked through the ship and not independantly? (The ships that I'm looking at all have Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway on their itinerary.)

Do the float planes and helicopters make you feel claustrophobic? I’ve never been on either and I was wondering how “small” they are on the inside.

For the Alaska Tour discount booklets (using 2010’s book as a reference), could I use the Temsco glacier coupon for the glacier/dog sled tour, or strictly for just the glacier tour? My thinking is that some $$$ off would be better than nothing given the cost since this would be a true splurge.

Thanks in advance.

I can't answer all of your questions but have feedback on a couple.

Booking out in advance: Don't stress out too much about this. We booked ours several months before our trip and got all we wanted. We did book the Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's tour as soon as we booked the cruise, though, because we were absolutely set on taking that tour and knew it was popular. If you REALLY want a particular tour, no harm in booking early. I would say six months out is plenty for most tours.

Cruise line vs. independent: We booked through the cruise line, only because we're really cautious people. When you book through the cruise line, you're guaranteed the ship will wait for you if there's any delay with your excursion. If not, you're on your own. I do know you can save a bit booking independently.

Have fun!

I am in the initial planning stages of an Alaskan cruise for summer 2012 and I’ve just started my initial research. I’ve been reading through a lot of threads and haven’t found the answers to some “burning” questions below J.

Are there any tours/excursions that are better booked through the ship and not independantly? (The ships that I'm looking at all have Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway on their itinerary.)

For the Alaska Tour discount booklets (using 2010’s book as a reference), could I use the Temsco glacier coupon for the glacier/dog sled tour, or strictly for just the glacier tour? My thinking is that some $$$ off would be better than nothing given the cost since this would be a true splurge.

If you want to use the toursaver coupon book for "big ticket" tours like the helicopter or float plane you should book them as early as possible. Temsco requires the book number before they take your reservation so you will need the book in hand. They limit use of the coupons to 1 per flight.

We just came back from Alaska and did the helicopter tour and it was a lot of fun. I don't know if they would let you use it towards the dogsled tour, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

We never book excursions from the ship, unless it is only option available if (the port times are so short or the ship is the only one offering a particular tour). This doesn't apply to any of your ports, Alaska is very easy to book on your own, and you will definitely save money. Reputable guides will always make sure you are back to the ship on time (or they will no longer be reputable). Often I will find others on our roll call to share tours which make them more affordable. Research the boards and you will find many recommendations.. Some of mine include:

Juneau: Whale watching. We went with Captain Larry from Orca Enterprises, had a great time, and saw lots of whales. Others recommend Harv and Marv, and there was a coupon from some other company in the Toursaver Book. Also the helicopter ride to the glacier is a spectacular trip.

Last trip we went ziplining.

Skagway - We went into the Yukon with Dyea Dave, a facinating guy, who is so knowledgeable of the area (and entertaining). His prices are reasonable and this our was one of the highlights of our trip.

Ketchikan- Misty Fjords floatplane. We did this a few years ago and it was beautiful. My parents were going to do it last month, but all the planes were grounded because of weather. We took the city bus to Totem Bight State Park to see the Totem Poles. (cost of day $12 for 2 including my souvenir magnet) This was my cheap day to help offset the cost of our Juneau excursions.

Do the float planes and helicopters make you feel claustrophobic? I’ve never been on either and I was wondering how “small” they are on the inside.

The helicopter was pretty cramped, but I didn't feel claustrophobic. I was too busy looking out at the magnificent views once we took off. We did the float plane a few years ago and I seem to remember it as being more roomy than the helicopter. Everyone had a window in the plane.

Thanks in advance.

Just ask if you have any questions. People here are amazing resources and happy to help. Just do your research and you will have a fabulous time.

I've flown in several float planes. The windows are bigger than a modern commercial jet. But seats vary quite a bit. Could be a real seat, could be a bench seat, and it depends on how many people they board. 3 across on a bench seat is crowded, 2 is great. If you get the front seat, you may have to be pretty limber to squeeze in and out. But IMHO it's to much fun to miss.

How far in advance do the most popular tours (i.e. Island Wings/Ketchikan*; Temsco helicopter* glacier and dog sled tour - Juneau or Skagway) need to be booked?

A year out? Six months?

It depends a lot, of course. Helicopter space is limited, as are the more popular independent boat operators. You might try for your particular port day six months out and be disappointed. You might wait until the month before and get lucky. If there is something you REALLY want to do, book it early and relax.

Frankly I like the ship's whale watching in Juneau with Allen Marine a lot better than the small boat operators. In Ketchikan, the ship's excursions to Saxman Village are often superior and have the best access. The ship's excursions are very convenient, easy to book, secure and usually excellent. OTOH if you like to invest your time in research you can find good independent tours too.

Well, not claustrophobic, just not up to my standards of comfortable! ;o)

My personal opinions. YMMV

Have a GREAT cruise!

A year out? Six months?

Thanks in advance.

First time in Alaska - NCL Star - July 24,2010

1. 6 months should be fine for shore excursions. Anan bear watching might be the exception. If you are going at the right time of the season, I would highly recommend this tour. It was the highlight of our cruise. We used First Air. If you want to do it, book it early. You might also get an early booking discount.
  2. Yes. In Juneau, if you are on the NCL Star, take the Tracy Arm tour through the ship - it's a can't miss. Book it early, 'cause you can always cancel.
  3. No more claustrophobic than a car.
  4. Don't know.

Helicopter for Glacier or dog sledding YMMV. I started looking in May for July cruise and found limited availability already. As much to do with most of the slots are given to the cruiseline I think. Pick a date where 5 ships are in port and you need to be early, but if only one or two maybe you can wait till late. The downside of booking independent is you need to pay early and if plans change well you suck the cancel fees. WHile if you go with the ship you have often till 24-36 hours before the port to cancel. I'm on the fence for the advantages of prebooking the helicopters, the only thing I see now is you save money. In the end you are a group of 6 or less no matter what.

The whale watching I think besides the money you get the smaller boat and better service and it makes much sense to do that independent.

Happy planning

A year out? Six months?

Thanks in advance.

Do the float planes and helicopters make you feel claustrophobic? I’ve never been on either and I was wondering how “small” they are on the inside..

no, as someone mentioned the windows are very generous.

however......... you may be scrunched up to the person next to you.

most of the ships i see flying out of the jnu airpart are bell jet rangers or a-stars, very comfortable executive ships. i still fly, and prefer it, in hughes 500's. they're sportcars with all of the amenities of a sportscar. your helmeted head will hit the ceiling, you feel like your knees are at you chin, and there's no cargo space so after you're belted in all of your personal gear gets stowed on top of you. but they can stick you into a tight lz.

Use your library. :) Alaska By Cruiseship, is a well written book, along with Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska for port information. http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.skagway.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com request visitor guides.

I book my tours a few months out. With coupon usage, you do need to look farther ahead. The offers change every year, and usually they are specific, and not available for "other" tours within the companies.

I am a clear independent vendor customer, and have my favorites that I repeatively take. There is all kinds of information on the long standing vendors on this board for your review.

For 2012, I would caution you against "firm plans". Alaska is definately a multi time trip destination and you can only get a fraction on a single time. Keep your touring options open for another year, and watch your choices keep evolving. You don't want to get yourself into cancelation fees etc. In the end, you'll have a great trip planned for YOU.

I am a big guy and I found the Helicopter to be fairly roomy, I mean you couldn't stretch out or anything, but you didn't feel crammed in. As mentioned the windows are fairly large and you will be so focused on the beautiful scenery you won't even think about being claustrophobic. We went with Temsco in Juneau and this dog sledding trip was one of our most memorable excursions!

Thanks for the recommendation on Alaska by Cruiseship. I will have to reserve that one. It looks like I have a lot of time to decide on tours. I'll probably concentrate on itinerary and airfare for next year.

I find this method works best. Get the itinerary down. Factor in ports, time in ports, route, glacier, price. :) First! There are only 6 Alaska Inside Passage ports. I suggest you find out about them all, then pick your favorites. It is then easier to find a ship with this narrowed down.

The whale watching I think besides the money you get the smaller boat and better service and it makes much sense to do that independent.

I would agree with this. We just got back from a cruise where we took the whale watching trip with Harv and Marv in Juneau. It was fantastic. We had a full three hours on the water and only six passengers on board. At one point we had to race a couple of miles north to catch some whales so I just sat on the front deck and had the best ride ever. We hit some waves and I got soaked - it was fantastic. Fortunately, the sea water splashes didn't come when I was taking the picture. We booked about 4 or 5 months in advance.

40008_10150253304730595_811535594_14113154_7085663_n.jpg

I just sat on the front deck and had the best ride ever. We hit some waves and I got soaked - it was fantastic.

LOL. We did the whale watching with Allen Marine in their big comfortable boat. I sat in a nice chair in front of the big picture window and walked back to the snack bar for hot chocolate -- it was fantastic!

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks ... :D

I've been researching tours for our 2011 cruise and have already contacted Island Wings, among others. Island Wings does not take deposits for 2011 until the first of the year. You can put your name on a list, but until you give them the 50% deposit, you're not confirmed.

Boy, I thought I planned early! For me, planning the trip is half the fun. Enjoy your research.

It's good to know about the timing of some of the tours! Six months looks like a good time frame. I have a couple of "pie-in-the-sky" tours that I'd love to do so we'll see how that works out in the end.

LOL I do LOVE to plan (early) which is why I joined CC. My family doesn't "get" that there is a lot of research needed for a trip like this. Spreading it out allows me to make plans, scratch them and start over again. Plus, I get to spread out the costs over two years, especially if I book airfare next fall. I definitely want to sail out of Vancouver and the flights from Chicago to Vancouver are looking like $200-$250 more than Seattle.

We booked the floatplane through royal (we're kind of cautious too!) and the plane was one seat on either side of the aisle-everyone had a window & the scenery was....well, I can't remember a thing about the seat! My husband & I spent the whole time passing the camera from one side to the other & there was no one in between to disturb. I would say that it's way more roomy than the seats we spent forever in on the plane to get from the east coast to Alaska & back!

I definitely want to sail out of Vancouver and the flights from Chicago to Vancouver are looking like $200-$250 more than Seattle.

The itineraries out of Vancouver are much more scenic than Seattle and you will likely have much smoother waters. You have lots of time so watch for seat sales about 6 mos from the date of your trip. You could register your email address with Air Canada who will email details of their seat sales to you.

Archived