Butler Unpacking/Packing

Splint

Has anyone taken advantage of the Butler unpacking your suitcases? This isn't something I would normally have done for me... but wouldn't mind giving it a try just this once.

Would love to hear if anyone has had any experiences with having the staff unpack for you or pack for you.

Thanks!

:rolleyes:

We have never used this service but we asked our butler, Taylan, about it when we had a suite aboard Horizon. He told us that it is a rare request but he has done packing/unpacking for elderly infirmed suite passengers.

Really? Strange that they advertise it and then put it in such a manor that it makes you feel guilty to use it

Stating that it's a rare request shouldn't make you feel guilty to use it. I think most seasoned travellers are just used to packing the way they want it done.

Our last cruise was in a Sky Suite on the Millennium. The first thing our butler, Andrew, did was offer to unpack. My husband took the butler up on his offer, I did not.

My husband cheerily thanked the butler, picked up his Sony e-reader, and headed up to the pool :).

The butler seemed genuinely happy to do something that clearly made my husband happy. The two times my husband and I cruised with butler service, we always felt that the butlers were very genuine in their offers to help. I had one grumpy butler on the Mercury, when travelling in a Sky Suite with a friend, but that is a story for another thread.

Really? Strange that they advertise it and then put it in such a manor that it makes you feel guilty to use it

I was in a PH on Galaxy in 2005. After we boarded we decided to do a little exploring. When we came back to the cabin to get our life vests, our butler was busily putting things away. He couldn't open the combinations on the big bags, so he went after the little ones. And when we went to dinner that night, we let him finish up.

Kinda strange having someone handle my undies, but I let it pass. Next day I rearranged what needed to be rearranged, and moved on. Never thought about it again.

PS: I LOVE your avatar....:eek:

Stating that it's a rare request shouldn't make you feel guilty to use it. I think most seasoned travellers are just used to packing the way they want it done.

I agree, we prefer to do our own unpacking and packing in the suite. The butler wasn't trying to guilt us out of it as it simply came up in conversation one day.

Thank you for all of the comments :)

I think I will let them do the unpacking and then just rearrange if things are not as I expect them.

I will probably pack my own bags... not as comfortable having them do that portion.

It sounds nice to just get on the Ship and enjoy ourselves and let them handle getting the belongings in order. One less thing to worry about. :)

I am far too much of a control freak the ask the butler to pack or unpack. I am reluctant to even let my husband help. BUT I do remember one New Year in Hong Kong [pre-cruising days] when I had a very severe cold and packing was a dreadful chore. I am sure I would have let a butler help then.

Sue

You will find that very few people use this service for all of the reasons mentioned. We also have never used the service while sailing with Celebrity or on other lines when this is available. It probably the least used service offered but if you want to use it just ask.

Keith

I like to have the un-packing done by Butler.. I am a mature single female.. I pack my things pre-cruise.. all hang up clothes in a plastic bag.. stick on tag.." hang in closet." same with other things .. in plastic bags clearly marked ;ie.. drawers, bath room etc . Works well.. I do pack my disembarkation bags myself.. yeah.. some dirty clothes etc, that only I SHOULD.. pack. happy cruising to all..:)peppercorn

For my cruise in Nov I am packing my pants and dresses on hangers. That way I know I'll have enough. And when I pack to return home, I'm leaving the hangers on the ship. I have way too many hangers at home, and the ship seems to always be short of 'em. If the butler wants to try to unpack for me, I have no problem with that.

I do the same thing with books and jigsaw puzzles.

We love the perks of suite life, however, packing/unpacking is something which doesnt take us very much time at all. What I did enjoy, was leaving clothes out to be pressed in the AM and having them ready to go in the PM , also, the butler does a great job at putting things away and folding everythign up just so , it makes packing a lot easier at the end !

Our last cruise was in a Sky Suite on the Millennium. The first thing our butler, Andrew, did was offer to unpack. My husband took the butler up on his offer, I did not.

My husband cheerily thanked the butler, picked up his Sony e-reader, and headed up to the pool :).

The butler seemed genuinely happy to do something that clearly made my husband happy. The two times my husband and I cruised with butler service, we always felt that the butlers were very genuine in their offers to help. I had one grumpy butler on the Mercury, when travelling in a Sky Suite with a friend, but that is a story for another thread.

my butler did in Alaska. i have most stiff in zippers bags and the bathroom in ziplock bags. so he put stuff on the bed, in closet and in the bathroom. i picked the drawers.. i was done in 10 minutes.. plus he lifted the bags. YEA!! first butler who did.. he was a great help packong too and my bags were out the door.

For my cruise in Nov I am packing my pants and dresses on hangers. That way I know I'll have enough. And when I pack to return home, I'm leaving the hangers on the ship. I have way too many hangers at home, and the ship seems to always be short of 'em. If the butler wants to try to unpack for me, I have no problem with that.

I do the same thing with books and jigsaw puzzles.

I'm trying to figure out how Cheryl gets each jigsaw puzzle piece on a hanger... I guess the books would hang ok... but the puzzle I just can't picture. :cool:

On my last Crystal Cruise, I asked the Butler about unpacking and packing and was told happy to do so but we must be present while he did it so figured why bother if we had to sit there and watch. Thought it would be nice when last cruise day is a port day. That may just be Crystal's policy. Always have a Butler and none have ever volunteered to do so on any cruise line.

I packed it at home myself...and I'll unpack it and repack it myself. I'd rather put things in the places I select and know where I put them. NIce offer, but not for my stuff. I did enjoy my butler's help storing our cases during the cruise. He also had a broken wheel fixed on a suitcase. He helped me carry laundry to and from the laundry room on Azamara. He left me sugar free mints when he discovered that I was diabetic. He made us reservations in specialty restaurants. He filled my portable water bottle with ice and fresh water daily. He made sure that our refrigerator was stocked with lots of diet soda. Nice and appreciated. Not really necessary, but nice.

We love the perks of suite life, however, packing/unpacking is something which doesnt take us very much time at all. What I did enjoy, was leaving clothes out to be pressed in the AM and having them ready to go in the PM , also, the butler does a great job at putting things away and folding everythign up just so , it makes packing a lot easier at the end !

Is the clothes pressing service free or is there a charge?

Archived