Are We Too Young To Enjoy HAL?? ( Said in the nicest possible way)!!

Jules215

Hello HAL Cruisers!!

I'm wondering if i can perhaps get a few opinions from some of you, and hopefully don't offend anyone in the process. :D

My partner and I are in our very early 50's, ( but consider ourselves very young 50's), perhaps because we still have grade-school age kids...We have the opportunity to cruise on our own in late Oct. sans kids...To date we have cruised on both RCCL and Carnival and have enjoyed both for different reasons...However, the Eurodam has caught our attention, and we're giving it serious consideration...But we are a little concerned about the "demographics" of the other passengers, ( and please don't take that wrong)...We are by no means late night partiers, but we do like to relax with a drink the evenings, listen to a little contemporary music, play some roulette, people watch etc.

We've had a very stressful 2yrs and I think all we're looking for is to relax...We don't need, and have never participated in, planned cruise activities...We may dress for dinner one or two nights but would suspect we'd take most of our evening meals on the Lido deck.

Some of the things that have caught my attention about the Eurodam, ( and in no order), are:

1. Bathtubs in OV rooms...Silly perhaps but I'm a bath person, and don't especially want a balcony or suite.

2. There appears to be a room that shows films...We would enjoy that very much if they're somewhat current.

3. The Eastern Carib. itin.

4. The reviews of the food quality and ambiance of the ship

5. The cabana's by the pool, ( my partner is fair-skinned and usually I'm out by myself most of the day because he's avoiding the sun), so he could join me more perhaps.

So I guess to sum up we're looking for quiet relaxation, but also a little bit of "buzz" too...Will we find that on HAL??

TIA

I am 38 and we are going secnod time on HAL this year.Yes, its much less activities and music and parties on HAL,but we love it.Great food,great service,empty pools(yes,older pepole don't love sun too much;))no drunk people around you,not too much smokers,not too much kids(we bring our 3 y.old:D)If you going to relax not to have party 24/7 you will love it.

*laffin* that individual would really have flipped when we showed up with groucho glasses for everyone in our meet and greet group.. and then pulled out the rubber chickens and screaming, flying monkeys.

Don't let that one curmudgeon ruin your anticipation of the trip and the get together. We've met many wonderful, fun-loving folks on our 8 HAL cruises and for those that don't "get" our wacky sense of humor (we're 2 couples early 60s) well they can go sit in a corner and pout and shake their heads while the rest of us enjoy life and each other.

firm believers that age is just a number.. and we're growing older, but not up.

I definitely agree with you! I'd try to do something goofy too, but no one else on the sailing I'm on has come out in favor of having a gift exchange or doing anything other than the Meet and Mingle. If I only had a LITTLE support....:(

Remember: We don't stop playing with toys because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing with toys. :)

We are in our 40s and chose HAL for certain reasons :rolleyes: and boy are we glad we did , we went on the zuiderdamn last year and had our vows re-newed and best of all we met a couple from Maine in their 60s who quite frankly put us to shame adventure wise :eek: . And the best news of all......... we are cruising with them again this year on the the Neiuw .

My husband and I took our first HAL cruise at 38 and 35 yo and just completed an Alaskan cruise tour at our current ages of 45 and 42. Like many have already said, we chose HAL because the demographic tends to be older and we try to stay away from anything that attracts too many children.

RE: movies ... the movies on our most recent cruise were not so current that they were just out of theaters but they were ones that had been out on video for a brief amount of time. The ones that come to mind: Sherlock Holmes and Julie and Julia. Also FYI, they have popcorn at the movies!

Let me just set the record straight --

1) You will not see people drooling in their soup

2) There are no walker races on the promenade

3) The late shows are not empty because all of the guests are a sleep

4) People don't talk loud on the ship because they are hard of hearing

5) Fellow cruisers are interesting and don't talk about the "good ole days"

Need I say more :D

well, gee.... you might just have talked me out of my cruise in December!

Gotta love those walker races, and soup drooling is an art form! :D

My wife and I are in our late 40s and just back from a 2 week cruise in Alaska on the Amsterdam. This was a great cruise!! and we were in the Piano Bar every night until chucking out time. We were on the Eurodam 2 years ago and loved it, especially Tamarind/Silk Den.

However, in my opinion, and it is just an opinion, is that the Amsterdam is far more elegant looking.

......is that the Amsterdam is far more elegant looking.

Can you imagine what a dream trip it would to take her all the way around the world! 110 days -- hard to even understand what that would be like.

Well, this is my first foray onto the HAL boards and this thread was exactly what I hoped to find!

We are 28 and 34 and in the fortunate position of looking into a nice long holiday next year. We've sailed with Celebrity a couple of times and have really enjoyed it and were considering a trans-canal or transatlantic trip with them next April. Instead,a 16 night trip on the Eurodam caught my eye with a great route.

I had exactly the same concerns as the OP... however reading this has reassured me that we'll have a grand old time! I've a couple of other questions about life onboard ship which I'm about to post on a new thread (don't want to hijack this one) but just wanted to stop by and thank you all for what I've read so far.

Thom

So what's there to do? I LOVED your response! Here's what I found out on our last HAL cruise:

1) I really STINK at Ancient History Trivia. :D

2) I really STINK at Show Tunes Trivia. :D

3) I really STINK at 30's and 40's Name that Tune Trivia. :D

4) I know more about Beatles Trivia than anyone in the whole, wide world. :D

5) Emphasis on age is exactly what you want it to be. A large part of "old" is in your head.

Keep playing and laughing.....always.

We had a really nice time on the Zuiderdam. I wish we could talk ALL of you fun people into hopping on our cruise in December on the Noordam.

PLEASE?

OP - I've cruised HAL twice and have basically sworn off all other mass market lines because I loved it so much. Oh yeah, I am 34 and cruised HAL for the first time at 33! My husband is 43... We found plenty to do, plenty of great people to talk to, plenty of music to listen to, plenty of drinks to have, plenty of great art to appreciate, plenty of great crew members, etc... Go with an open mind - you'll be amazed at what you find!

I'm 32 and started cruising on HAL when I was 12...so i kinda grew up on the ships! I LOVE it - no there isnt going to a rap concert in the Lido, but the music by the pool is always contemporary - John Mayer, etc The piano bar sing alongs are always great and the Crows nest does play recent music...

most of the "older folks" drink me under the table on the cruises and stay up way later than me :)

When I first told people that we were sailing HAL, the response was that the median age would be 70 - LOL We are late 30s...with kids in grade school. We were attracted to the sailing and the price, and did it anyway. Our experience was that the median age was not that high...I would guess 50. Seems like HAL has done a lot to attract the younger crowd with kids...as their Club HAL for the kiddies was incredibly well-run and incredibly enjoyable for the children. As for the music however, it did skew older, like our parents' generation, but we love music so it wasn't such a big deal. If I wanted to hear today's top 40, I could turn on the radio, so it was nice.

I'm the OP, and as I guess you can see from my signature we had to make a change of plans...We were relying on one of our older kids, late 20's, to come and babysit the younger ones for us, but unfortunately she can't get away for an entire week, so a 7 day cruise just isn't in the cards for us this year. :(

But, I want to thank everyone for their responses...You've sold us!!...We had all but booked the Eurodam and were really looking forward to it...We're still certainly looking forward to getting away for a few days, but just a smidge disappointed that it won't be on the Eurodam...That said though, we are hoping to sail on a HAL ship the very next time we cruise and are looking at possible options now...I have a feeling once we make it onto one we'll really enjoy it.

Again thanks for much for all the comments, insights, and suggestions!!

Hello HAL Cruisers!!

I'm wondering if i can perhaps get a few opinions from some of you, and hopefully don't offend anyone in the process. :D

My partner and I are in our very early 50's, ( but consider ourselves very young 50's), perhaps because we still have grade-school age kids...We have the opportunity to cruise on our own in late Oct. sans kids...To date we have cruised on both RCCL and Carnival and have enjoyed both for different reasons...However, the Eurodam has caught our attention, and we're giving it serious consideration...But we are a little concerned about the "demographics" of the other passengers, ( and please don't take that wrong)...We are by no means late night partiers, but we do like to relax with a drink the evenings, listen to a little contemporary music, play some roulette, people watch etc.

We've had a very stressful 2yrs and I think all we're looking for is to relax...We don't need, and have never participated in, planned cruise activities...We may dress for dinner one or two nights but would suspect we'd take most of our evening meals on the Lido deck.

Some of the things that have caught my attention about the Eurodam, ( and in no order), are:

1. Bathtubs in OV rooms...Silly perhaps but I'm a bath person, and don't especially want a balcony or suite.

2. There appears to be a room that shows films...We would enjoy that very much if they're somewhat current.

3. The Eastern Carib. itin.

4. The reviews of the food quality and ambiance of the ship

5. The cabana's by the pool, ( my partner is fair-skinned and usually I'm out by myself most of the day because he's avoiding the sun), so he could join me more perhaps.

So I guess to sum up we're looking for quiet relaxation, but also a little bit of "buzz" too...Will we find that on HAL??

TIA

You are not too young at all. I'm in my 40's and love HAL. (I liked the min my thirties too) The ships have the right mix of relaxation and fun, though maybe not over the top, girls gone wild fun.

Hi there,

We enjoy the more sedate atmosphere (no hairy legs or belly flop contests out by the pool)

Doesn't HAL still have pool games at the aft pool? We are not pool games fans either...loud and annoying....but I think I saw pictures of games going on at the aft pool.

Is this wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my mid-30's. I was on the Hawaii Cruise for 15 days last October. When I heard that HAL was geared toward the older generarion, I was a little worried that I would not find anyone around my age. Was I wrong, I did meet some people that were around my age, and had a great time for the just over two weeks on board.

First of all... THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "VERY EARLY 50'S"!! (Too young for?? :D) Jeez... you're over 50! There's no way to sugar coat that... But hey - with ****** etc. - be careful! Your partner may getting hit on a lot and those 'Big Band Era' pick up lines can be quite charming AND pursuasive!

'Beatles' sing alongs... Who? The Beatles... Beatles... Beatles... Let's see (Google) oh! A group that last recorded and performed 40-50 years ago, half of whom are dead... WOW!! That's hip and contemporary!;)

HAL has nice ships and - yes - a fairly sedate style... But cruises will ALWAYS be what you make them (and if you're going to the Caribbean, a hip high funk beach bar will always be available by day!). Over Thanksgiving, I'll be on Ryndam... I'm in my 'early 50's' ;), DW in her 'late' 40's... In tow, we'll have 12, 13, 16 and 17 yo-s (as in 'YO!'; actually I may be 'wilder' than them... residue of the early '80's in the East Village) Life and cruises continue to be what one makes them...

HAL has nice ships... Enjoy!

Someone mentioned the word "classy"- HAL is classy- all different ages enjoy classy.

When we were on our Westerdam cruise we enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere as compared to some cruises. We also found more to do on HAL than on the 4 other cruise lines we had been on!

• 3 weeks later...

Very useful thread.

Me and my gf are 29 and 27 and chose to do a cruise on HAL on January 9th on the Nieuw Amsterdam in the Caribbean. I chose HAL because of it's quality, good food and more traditional cruise experience. We have never been on a cruise before but I don't think I'd like the floating theme parks of other cruise lines. Firstly because I guess the average cruiser on HAL is slightly more sophisticated (at least that's my impression from reading around here) and we just love to relax, and not have the feeling all the time that we might be missing the climbing wall, wave-rider or whatever else they have (what's next, roller coasters??).

I just want to spend quality time with my gf and I believe a more traditional cruise experience gives us more time to relax.

However from reading some other posts I was, I have to admit, slightly concerned that there would be no one of our age. However, reading this thread made me realise that there will be younger people and that most of the older cruisers will be very interesting and active people!!

I don't mind the fact that the evening programme might be a bit calm. If we really want to party we'll still have 2 post-cruise days in Miami Beach :D Until then I think we'll definitely enjoy the good food, great destinations and sophisticated company!

Cheers,

Vincent

It's because we truly know where all the action is and who we will have the most fun with - and really, admit it - we all want to bring out our inner "John Travolta"....lol....;)

AMEN!! We are 44 and 45 and the Bee Gees are still the best!! I hope that is HAL's disco is into that...Or any other greats from the 70's!

Archived