Drinks Package on Grand Princess

Captain Beefheart

There is no drink card or package for alcoholic beverages on any princess ship. But many ships have a reduced drink price after 8:00 PM on some items. Hopefully someone who has sailed on the Grand recently can say if it is available on this ship.

There is no drink card or package for alcoholic beverages on any princess ship. But many ships have a reduced drink price after 8:00 PM on some items. Hopefully someone who has sailed on the Grand recently can say if it is available on this ship.

It seems as if all the ships are now doing the $2.99 for certain drinks "Happy Hour" after 8:00 PM. Of course I'm not interested in any of them. :(

Better than Elite drinks in Skywalkers then??

The Elite lounge is 5pm to 7pm, while the Power Hour is 8pm on. The Power Hour offers more and cheaper specials. The Elite lounge just has a special of the day but does have appetizers (like we need more food).

Hi, thanks for the info, I can hear "Happy Hour" calling already. Fiona

Just returned from the Grand Princess today after a wonderful Med cruise and i can assure you there was no "Happy hour" for first time cruisers. I did read in some info that if you had cruised with Princess three or four times, that you can get special deals on drinks. Other than that, 15% will be added to each drink you purchased.

We overheard that some cruisers had managed to get the 15% removed from their bill by going to the pursers office. Unfortunately by the time we arrived, the queue was enormous as the word had got around. Then the supervisor announced that no more grats would be removed from bar bills. Well as you can imagine, all hell broke loose. The argument was, if you can do it for one, it should apply to all passengers. We just left the queue as we'd already removed the other grats which is added to your bill on a daily basis. Make sure you do this from day one of your cruise or day two at the latest. We tipped at the end of the cruise what we felt was sufficient for the services provided which i must admit were excellent.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Sue

Just returned from the Grand Princess today after a wonderful Med cruise and i can assure you there was no "Happy hour" for first time cruisers. I did read in some info that if you had cruised with Princess three or four times, that you can get special deals on drinks. Other than that, 15% will be added to each drink you purchased.

We overheard that some cruisers had managed to get the 15% removed from their bill by going to the pursers office. Unfortunately by the time we arrived, the queue was enormous as the word had got around. Then the supervisor announced that no more grats would be removed from bar bills. Well as you can imagine, all hell broke loose. The argument was, if you can do it for one, it should apply to all passengers. We just left the queue as we'd already removed the other grats which is added to your bill on a daily basis. Make sure you do this from day one of your cruise or day two at the latest. We tipped at the end of the cruise what we felt was sufficient for the services provided which i must admit were excellent.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Sue

You totally misunderstood the Happy Hour. This was not a special for past cruiser; it was something available to everyone in all the bars AFTER 8:00 PM. And FYI, folks who cruise with Princess many many times DO NOT get special deals on drinks. That's only in the Elite/Platinum area which is once a day prior to dinner and there is only one drink of the day discounted.

As for removing tips, I have my own thoughts about people who do that and shall remain silent.

I have never heard of being able to remove the 15% gratuity added to drink purchases. The hotel charge can be removed, but the 15% on drink purchases? Are you sure you heard correctly?

We certainly heard correctly but not too sure how many had theirs removed. We'd never heard of it before but I can assure you we were at the Pursers desk when he announced that no more grat to be removed from bar bills and we heard that several had theirs removed. Grand Princess (Med Adventurer cruise 7 - 21st August!)

Sue

People who remove all the gratuities from their bill remind me of a bird I once owned. Cheep! Cheep! Cheep!

I believe that in America it's a way of life to tip for almost anything. This was our first cruise which we were celebrating a birthday with friends. I found out about removing the 10.50 grat per person per day through joining cruise critic and i think it's only fair to be left to your own discretion regarding tipping.

regards, Sue

We certainly heard correctly but not too sure how many had theirs removed. We'd never heard of it before but I can assure you we were at the Pursers desk when he announced that no more grat to be removed from bar bills and we heard that several had theirs removed. Grand Princess (Med Adventurer cruise 7 - 21st August!)

Sue

That is very unusual. Just an FYI though, you will find this on all major cruise lines where the 15% is added to the bar bill. And I have never heard of this being able to be removed before in 25 years of cruising many different lines. I would not count on this happening again anytime soon, my guess, someone at the purser's desk made a mistake and that is why it they all of a sudden put a stop to it on your cruise.

Yes, you can remove the hotel charge (the $10.50-$11.00 per day) but not usually the 15% on the bar bill as it is automatic and non-removeable.

Wow congratulations,

if i was so cheapie to remove the tips that goes to the staff onboard i would at least not brag about it....

For the people working on cruiseships tips is a part of their salary just like waiters and bartenders working in the US and many other countries. I pay my tips with joy even if i come from a country were tipping is not customary.

People who think the custom of habit on the cruiseships and in the US is a bad thing i have a very good suggestion: STAY HOME!

Sue

The service received on board is outstanding. This type of service is rarely experienced in 5* hotels. I would NEVER consider removing this daily charge as it's convenient and certainly earned by the crew who put up with very demanding customers!!

Wow congratulations,

if i was so cheapie to remove the tips that goes to the staff onboard i would at least not brag about it....

For the people working on cruiseships tips is a part of their salary just like waiters and bartenders working in the US and many other countries. I pay my tips with joy even if i come from a country were tipping is not customary.

People who think the custom of habit on the cruiseships and in the US is a bad thing i have a very good suggestion: STAY HOME!

Can I just say i am not bragging regarding removing my tips. I just don't feel that it should be compulsory. I tipped my cabin steward very well as he was excellent and also the waiting staff.

Regards, Sue

Can I just say i am not bragging regarding removing my tips. I just don't feel that it should be compulsory. I tipped my cabin steward very well as he was excellent and also the waiting staff.

Regards, Sue

And for your trouble they had to turn those tips in to the tip pool - just as if you had left the tips on the account - oh and by the way, did you go around and tip the other 50 or so people that provided service along with the cabin steward and waiter who also depend on tips??? If so, you lost money in the deal, and they didn't make any more than they would have had you just let it alone.

Regards, Sue

Good for you, Sue. I was brought up here in the USA and understand this is a culture of tipping, and usually quite generously for that matter. I don't understand how people are critical of you for behaving in a manner that is consistent with your culture. We, in America, seem to bend over backwards to respect other's cultures (maybe this is only where I live and work)...so, why in this case is everybody being so critical??

The tips are expected but certainly not mandatory. If they were, they should be included in the cruise fare. Actually, I think this would solve the entire debate.

I also might add that I always tip at least the minimum on a cruise, however, wouldn't want to push my values on someone else and try to make them do the same. As you can see from Sue's comment, she simply mentioned she didn't think they should be compulsory, but she did tip. We really shouldn't try to turn everyone into Americans ....and that is said in the spirit of being an American. Live and let live, guys.

Good for you, Sue. I was brought up here in the USA and understand this is a culture of tipping, and usually quite generously for that matter. I don't understand how people are critical of you for behaving in a manner that is consistent with your culture. We, in America, seem to bend over backwards to respect other's cultures (maybe this is only where I live and work)...so, why in this case is everybody being so critical??

The tips are expected but certainly not mandatory. If they were, they should be included in the cruise fare. Actually, I think this would solve the entire debate.

I also might add that I always tip at least the minimum on a cruise, however, wouldn't want to push my values on someone else and try to make them do the same. As you can see from Sue's comment, she simply mentioned she didn't think they should be compulsory, but she did tip. We really shouldn't try to turn everyone into Americans ....and that is said in the spirit of being an American. Live and let live, guys.

Should be, and what if is nice - but the real world says they aren't going to be paid a full wage and they rely on tips - so all the what if is just an excuse for not going along with the custom. And by the way, they ships and the cruiselines are NOT American companies - they establish the procedures. We try to do whatever the custom dictates where ever we go - to do otherwise is just being cheap and hard headed - I was going to say ignorant but decided to be nice).

It seems as if all the ships are now doing the $2.99 for certain drinks "Happy Hour" after 8:00 PM. Of course I'm not interested in any of them.

:(

But isn't that only for Platinum, Elite and suites? At least it was on the Grand Princess which I have just returned from.

But isn't that only for Platinum, Elite and suites? At least it was on the Grand Princess which I have just returned from.

No there is the Happy Hour reception for Platinum/Elite pax where one drink in featured at $2.99 then the $2.99 drinks after 8 pm they are entirely different.

Archived