Which hotels are best for FLL cruise on Priceline?

Joby

Hi,

We're going on a cruise and want to spend 2 nights--January 12 & 13, 2011 precruise in Ft. Lauderdale.

I would like to try Priceline for the 1st time. I've used Hotwire many times. I always check betterbidding.com for help.

Can anyone tell me what hotels would be best to bid on Priceline?

The hotel should be decent, preferably with free shuttle to/from airport and cruise port OR inexpensive taxi to/from both airport & cruise port?

We want to spend in the neighborhood of $75 or less :)

Thanks royalcruz.

The downtown Fort Lauderdale 3 & 4 * is the only zone I should bid on, is that right?

I'm still trying to learn about the ins, outs and tricks about Priceline and rebidding, etc. I'm just trying to lessen any mistakes :)

We prefer the "Beach" zone hotels when bidding in Fort Lauderdale. "Downtown" zone will be closer to the airport and pier but we personally prefer the "Beach" zone hotels better. It's just a nicer area to spend a couple of pre-post cruise days. These "Beach" zone hotels aren't too far from the airport or pier although they don't offer shuttles to/from either. Availability of shuttles has never been important too us in Fort Lauderdale as everything isn't too far apart.

We prefer the "Beach" zone hotels when bidding in Fort Lauderdale. "Downtown" zone will be closer to the airport and pier but we personally prefer the "Beach" zone hotels better. It's just a nicer area to spend a couple of pre-post cruise days. These "Beach" zone hotels aren't too far from the airport or pier although they don't offer shuttles to/from either. Availability of shuttles has never been important too us in Fort Lauderdale as everything isn't too far apart.

Do you know what the average taxi costs to/from airport and cruise port would be from the beach hotels?

We're trying to keep our costs to a minimum while enjoying a nice decent hotel that's within walking distance of eateries, water taxi, etc. :)

I hope you have better luck than us. I started bidding on a beach area hotel for January 14 & 15, 4 * and added areas where I knew there weren't 4* hotels. I went as high as $125.00 and was rejected over a period of about a week and a half..finally gave up and booked a hotel with our airmiles.

But I wish you luck, we had luck last Feb getting a 4* in San Juan for a great price.

I hope you have better luck than us. I started bidding on a beach area hotel for January 14 & 15, 4 * and added areas where I knew there weren't 4* hotels. I went as high as $125.00 and was rejected over a period of about a week and a half..finally gave up and booked a hotel with our airmiles.

But I wish you luck, we had luck last Feb getting a 4* in San Juan for a great price.

Ho, ho, ho Santa :)

I sure hope we have better luck too! The hotels are really costly at regular rates. We'll see what Priceline brings.

Do you know what the average taxi costs to/from airport and cruise port would be from the beach hotels?

We're trying to keep our costs to a minimum while enjoying a nice decent hotel that's within walking distance of eateries, water taxi, etc. :)

The taxi would be anywhere from $15 - 30 from the airport and $10 - 25 to the port, plus tip. The beach zone goes all the way to north of Oakland Park Blvd (Il Lugano 4* and Ocean Sky 3*). Also, if you end up at Marriott Harbor Beach (4*) you will be quite a far walk to any restaurants so will end up eating more expensive hotel food. This is why I did not recommend the beach zone based on your requirements.

You could also bid on the airport zone, as the cab fare wouldn't be too high, but some of the hotels aren't near outside restaurants. These hotels might be cheaper than downtown.

The downtown zone will be reasonable cabfare and you can walk to restaurants and drug stores. The furthest hotel you could possibly get is the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd, and you will more likely end up on 17th St.

We have always bid level 3 in the Beach Zone, but I have seen recently where people have gotten the Ocean Sky. For that reason I am reluctant to bid anything lower than 4 in the Beach Zone. We had stayed at the old Ramada Beach Resort which is now the Ocean Sky and would not want to stay there again.

The taxi would be anywhere from $15 - 30 from the airport and $10 - 25 to the port, plus tip. The beach zone goes all the way to north of Oakland Park Blvd (Il Lugano 4* and Ocean Sky 3*). Also, if you end up at Marriott Harbor Beach (4*) you will be quite a far walk to any restaurants so will end up eating more expensive hotel food. This is why I did not recommend the beach zone based on your requirements.

You could also bid on the airport zone, as the cab fare wouldn't be too high, but some of the hotels aren't near outside restaurants. These hotels might be cheaper than downtown.

The downtown zone will be reasonable cabfare and you can walk to restaurants and drug stores. The furthest hotel you could possibly get is the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Blvd, and you will more likely end up on 17th St.

That's what I was afraid of, Royalcruz. A $30 taxi ride + $25 to port and then add port to airport taxi and it would outweigh any hotel savings.

Would anyone recommend a bidding strategy for the Ft. Lauderdale downtown area on Priceline?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Any other tips or hints?

We have always bid level 3 in the Beach Zone, but I have seen recently where people have gotten the Ocean Sky. For that reason I am reluctant to bid anything lower than 4 in the Beach Zone. We had stayed at the old Ramada Beach Resort which is now the Ocean Sky and would not want to stay there again.

We bid 4* "Beach Zone" for this September and won Westin Beach Resort for $75.00 per night. Sticking with 4* in the "Beach Zone" will usually win the Westin or W hotel. We never had to pay $30.00 for a taxi ride from the airport to the Westin. Low to mid $20.00's. Definitely worth it considering the location. Staying "downtown" we've been bored. No action over there.

That's what I was afraid of, Royalcruz. A $30 taxi ride + $25 to port and then add port to airport taxi and it would outweigh any hotel savings.

Would anyone recommend a bidding strategy for the Ft. Lauderdale downtown area on Priceline?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Any other tips or hints?

Not $25.00 from the Westin to the port.

Joby, for the budget you are trying to meet, I'd say 3 star downtown FT.L would be a good match. You will be there in winter, meaning higher rates. You could end up with hyatt Place North near 17th st. with tons of restaurants and stores and shuttles. Or maybe the Riverside, right on Las Olas Blvd, a fun place with restaurants, night spots and more upscale/specialty shops.

Thanks again to all for the help :)

As for being bored, we're pretty easy to please--as long as we have someplace to eat very reasonably and the transportation to/from is free or cheap, we're good to go.

Our budget is important this trip :)

Would anyone care to suggest a bidding strategy now???

Thanks again to all for the help :)

As for being bored, we're pretty easy to please--as long as we have someplace to eat very reasonably and the transportation to/from is free or cheap, we're good to go.

Our budget is important this trip :)

Would anyone care to suggest a bidding strategy now???

Joby, Just enter downtown Ft. L and 3 star. Start bidding at ...hmmm...I'd start at $60. Then every 24 hours raise it $2/$3 if necessary. I wouldn't worry about any other "strategy". You are way ahead of your stay date, so you can take your time. Once you get to the max....IF you do...I'd wait a bit and start all over. Many hotels don't put their inventory of vacant rooms on the discount sites until closer to the date.

We went up to $115 for our mid Jan stay. But we are there on the weekend nights. We got the Riverside, which is what we wanted. No shuttles but great location. The Hyatt Place North is often the hotel people end up with. And it includes shuttles, breakfast and is near lots of restaurants.

Thanks AGAIN to all :)

Is there a good time to start bidding on PL for our mid January 2011 dates?

Does bidding for 2 nights increase/decrease your chances for getting a low bid accepted?

On the average, when do the hotels put their inventory on the bargin sites such as PL and Hotwire?

I think I may give it a whirl now and see what happens. That will at least give me some practice if it doesn't work and I have to try closer to our January date.

Joby, Just enter downtown Ft. L and 3 star. Start bidding at ...hmmm...I'd start at $60. Then every 24 hours raise it $2/$3 if necessary. I wouldn't worry about any other "strategy". You are way ahead of your stay date, so you can take your time. Once you get to the max....IF you do...I'd wait a bit and start all over. Many hotels don't put their inventory of vacant rooms on the discount sites until closer to the date.

We went up to $115 for our mid Jan stay. But we are there on the weekend nights. We got the Riverside, which is what we wanted. No shuttles but great location. The Hyatt Place North is often the hotel people end up with. And it includes shuttles, breakfast and is near lots of restaurants.

Another tip for Priceline users: If you are getting close to the price that they'll accept, they might give you a reply that says if you up your bid by $15 you can immediately re-bid without waiting 24 hours. Don't bite...wait 24 hours and up your bid by $5 or $6 and you'll probably get it.

Another tip for Priceline users: If you are getting close to the price that they'll accept, they might give you a reply that says if you up your bid by $15 you can immediately re-bid without waiting 24 hours. Don't bite...wait 24 hours and up your bid by $5 or $6 and you'll probably get it.

This is very true.

Is there a good time to start bidding on PL for our mid January 2011 dates?

Does bidding for 2 nights increase/decrease your chances for getting a low bid accepted?

On the average, when do the hotels put their inventory on the bargin sites such as PL and Hotwire?

I think I may give it a whirl now and see what happens. That will at least give me some practice if it doesn't work and I have to try closer to our January date.

Hotels give priceline and hotwire inventory 12-18 months out and inside 45 days. Whenever a time period isn't selling, they unload rooms on the discount sites.

So if a hotel knows they will sell out President's Week, they will not give the discount sites any inventory.

Is there a good time to start bidding on PL for our mid January 2011 dates? We reserved ours for mid Jan already...only because the cruise is almosst sold out and we wanted Riverside which was popping up a lot for dates near ours. But usually 3 months out is my start.

Does bidding for 2 nights increase/decrease your chances for getting a low bid accepted?Don't think it makes any difference.Unless all weekends are sold out then getting a Thurs and Fri could be tougher.

On the average, when do the hotels put their inventory on the bargin sites such as PL and Hotwire? Some will be put on early. (6 months +) But that is just a low prediction by the hotels on what their vacancy rate will be on that night. Once closer to the date, if they see a lot more vacant rooms, they can add to the inventory. If they see they are selling out, they can pull the rooms off or raise the rates. Supply and demand.

Go ahead. Get a feel for the "game".:D

Go ahead. Get a feel for the "game".:D

Try it...you'll like it. :) I'm a Priceline junkie now. :D I've been bidding on hotels on Priceline for almost three years. I can't imagine paying full price anymore. I like the fact that I can get a 4* hotel for about the price of a 2*

OK, I'm gonna do it! I think I have a better understanding of the "game" now :)

I think I might like this--I'm a really good bargin hunter AND I'm competitive.

Here goes--I'll post with my play by play:)

Thanks again to all for the help, I appreciate it.

3*-- downtown--$45 rejected

rebid 3*--downtown and FLL north--$46 rejected

Now, I have to wait 24 hours to rebid, correct?

Do I just keep upping my bid by a couple of dollars until I decide it's as high as I want to go?

When I reach that point, do I just stop for a couple of days and then start over again since we have 5 months before the cruise?

I'm looking for a bargin and hope to spend $75 or less :) Think it will happen?

Archived