If USA Today has info, why doesn't HAL?

m steve

yesterday there was a posting that Falmouth Jamaica port won't be ready until some time next year. When I called HAL to find out what port will replace it, the reservationist told me that the port is ready and the ship is going there. She also said that it is currently open and that Oasis has been there. I checked RCCL site and Oasis is not scheduled to stop there until next spring. Why doesn't these HAL employees have up to date info?

Yeah, no kidding. I haven't been able to get any answers either. They are still selling shore excursions to that port as well. I'm happy I haven't booked any there because they are sure to be cancelled. I'm Canadian, and when they refund $ it's always less then what it was charged. Even though it's a small amount difference I'm not fond of paying for nothing.

The front-line staff seem to be the last to get "the memo". When we were scheduled for Mahogany Bay (Roatan), I spoke with numerous HAL reps, including a supervisor, who ASSURED me we were NOT going to Roatan, we were going to Mahogany Bay. :rolleyes: And that there were no shorex being offered thru HAL because it was a "new port" and HAL had not been able to "find vendors that met HAL's standards". :rolleyes: Uh, yeah, okay.

In the case of Falmouth they are probably scrambling behind the scenes for a substitute, but of course could never admit to not knowing, or not having a plan. Sorry, folks, the best approach is the truth IMHO. Again, JMHO, there is NOTHING wrong with saying "we don't have a substitute port yet, we expect to have that info by XXXX".

The front-line staff seem to be the last to get "the memo". When we were scheduled for Mahogany Bay (Roatan), I spoke with numerous HAL reps, including a supervisor, who ASSURED me we were NOT going to Roatan, we were going to Mahogany Bay. :rolleyes: And that there were no shorex being offered thru HAL because it was a "new port" and HAL had not been able to "find vendors that met HAL's standards". :rolleyes: Uh, yeah, okay.

In the case of Falmouth they are probably scrambling behind the scenes for a substitute, but of course could never admit to not knowing, or not having a plan. Sorry, folks, the best approach is the truth IMHO. Again, JMHO, there is NOTHING wrong with saying "we don't have a substitute port yet, we expect to have that info by XXXX".

People are so afraid to say "I don't know." But if you don't know, it's the honest answer to give. I have a lot more respect for someone who says that than for someone who gives me what I already KNOW is bad info. (I had waaay too much of that from the front desk people on our Princess cruise a few years back. It was like watching the "liars club" game.)

yesterday there was a posting that Falmouth Jamaica port won't be ready until some time next year. When I called HAL to find out what port will replace it, the reservationist told me that the port is ready and the ship is going there. She also said that it is currently open and that Oasis has been there. I checked RCCL site and Oasis is not scheduled to stop there until next spring. Why doesn't these HAL employees have up to date info?

Good question. My DH and I are on the Ryndam for the last cruise of Nov. and Falmouth is one of the ports of call. I'm wondering why they are selling trip excursions if the port is not ready. Anyone not on this message board won't know what is going on. I love this board. :)

I don't mean this in any nasty or rude way, but the fact is that the US is probably the most litigious jurisdiction in the world! Too many Americans will sue at the drop of the hat. As a result companies are always doing whatever they can to keep communication of the negative variety to themselves....and that includes fibbing if they have to.

I am sure HAL's legal department checks everything and if there is any chance of a suit coming out of information being given out it just doesn't happen. They simply bury their heads in the sand and hope no one thinks to kick them in the butt on the way by.

Just my opinion.

I don't mean this in any nasty or rude way, but the fact is that the US is probably the most litigious jurisdiction in the world! Too many Americans will sue at the drop of the hat. As a result companies are always doing whatever they can to keep communication of the negative variety to themselves....and that includes fibbing if they have to.

I am sure HAL's legal department checks everything and if there is any chance of a suit coming out of information being given out it just doesn't happen. They simply bury their heads in the sand and hope no one thinks to kick them in the butt on the way by.

Just my opinion.

Although when you read the fine print in their policies and regulations, it does say that they have the right to change ports at any time if circumstances require it. It doesn't really matter to me if we don't stop at Jamaica, we are just on the cruise for the ride and all that HAL has to offer.

There is a gent that writes a daily email newsletter called Cruise News Daily. He did an article recently about the lack of progress in Falmouth. this little snippet was posted by him a few days later:

+ From the I wish I had said that department: Earlier this

week we wrote about how work on the "new" Jamaican port of

Falmouth is so far behind schedule it's doubtful there

will be anything completed by the time the first ships are

scheduled to arrive in November. That prompted one reader

to write us that he wagers we're wrong. He's certain that

when the first ship arrives, the rest of the port may be

in total disrepair, but he wagers the Diamonds

International store will be completed and ready for

business.

Just my opinion.

You could win a a legal suit against a cruise line when donkeys fly. You basically sign your rights away when you agree to the cruise contract.

The sad thing is that the reps don't know what they don't know, not that they intentionally lie or fib. You think the head of Port Operations

consults with these people? Does your job work any differently? You're in the minority if it does.

Now about that Falmouth dock. Bad news information from the bottom of an organization gets filtered before reaching the top. Who wants to tell the boss bad news? Not me. I'm sure when the dockbuilders said "No way before 2011" it was filtered by the time it got to the top where it said "we're ready to go unless we have complications". And we both know there's always complications.

In addition, you have North American time and then you have Island time, especially Jamaica time, and you should never confuse the two.

Not saying anything malicious; it's just a cultural thing. Tomorrow does mean tomorrow there, it means when we get to it tomorrow.

Archived