What's Safer? Miami Hotel or Fort Lauderdale Hotel

Frandick

My granddaughter (age 22) and I are flying into Fll the day before our cruise leaves from the Miami Port on Jan. 4.

I am a little concerned about the safety in Miami.

Would it be better to stay in Fort Lauderdale and I would need some suggestions on where to stay and try to get a car to pick us up on the 4th in the morning to take us to the port. Any suggestions for private drivers.

I am also concerned about the safety of our passports when we leave the room should there not be a safe in the room. I would want to lock them up as well as money since it would be nice to go to the hotel pool if it is warm enough.

Thanx for any help

Fran

There are many safe places in Miami. Miami does have some bad areas like most cities.

A hotel to think about in Miami is the Intercontinental Hotel. It is located right near the bridge that take you over to the Miami Cruise Ship Terminal. You can just take a taxi over from the Hotel and be there in a few minutes.

We lock our passports up and not carry them around if we are going outside as we don't want to take the chance of losing them or having them stolen. You can use the hotel safe (assuming you stay at a hotel that has safes in the room) of you could use one of the safes that hotels have behind the registration counter. We usually use the room safe and have not had a problem but the most safe one is behind the registration desk.

Keith

If you are flying into FLL it may be easier to stay in that area and then shuttle to Miami the next day. Look for hotels in the 17th Street area - lots of dining and shopping options. In Miami, besides the IC, many cruisers choose the Holiday Inn (accross the street from Bayside Market) or the Hyatt. I perfer the Marriott or Doubletree on Biscayne Blvd - quiet area, view of the port from many rooms, and the bar/dining room in the lobby of the Doubletree is very good.:cool:

You can use SAS (www.ridesas.com) or another shuttle service to take you to Miami and then back to FLL after your cruise; typical fare is $15 per person each way (please remember to tip your driver). SAS gets many positive reviews on these boards. A taxi from the FLL area to the port of Miami (POM) will run $85+:eek:

You can stay safely in Miami, Miami Beach, or the FLL area - or you can get into trouble. Common sense about watching your surroundings, crowds, and belongings will generally keep you safe.;)

There are safes in the staterooms; some ships have them programmed with a PIN # that you set, others use a magnetic striped card (I always carry an old telephone card, or just "forget" to drop off one of the hotel key cards).;)

Good luck!:)

Archived