A plea to those of you who really know your FLL hotels. . .

jenmouse

We are looking for a hotel for the night before our cruise out of FLL next August. I have a wonderful website I use that can point me in the direction of the hotels closest to the port, but we have so many things we are looking for in a hotel that my head is spinning.

So - I would like a hotel somewhat near the port. Free shuttles from the airport to the hotel, and/or the hotel to the port would be nice. My husband has indicated a preference for something "near the water". We tend to stay in hotels that are a bit nicer (we stay at the Beach Club at Disney, for example). We are not looking for a bargain, but for a nice hotel. Somewhere in the range of $200, although I wouldn't turn up my nose at a good price for a great hotel. :D I really don't want to get too expensive since it is just an overnight stopover. Free breakfast would be great, too.

I hope someone out there can help me. I have only sailed out of Miami and Port Canaveral, so I am not familiar with the FLL area. I could start digging on a hotel website, but a personal recommendation always seems better to me. Thanks!!

We are looking for a hotel for the night before our cruise out of FLL next August. I have a wonderful website I use that can point me in the direction of the hotels closest to the port, but we have so many things we are looking for in a hotel that my head is spinning.

So - I would like a hotel somewhat near the port. Free shuttles from the airport to the hotel, and/or the hotel to the port would be nice. My husband has indicated a preference for something "near the water". We tend to stay in hotels that are a bit nicer (we stay at the Beach Club at Disney, for example). We are not looking for a bargain, but for a nice hotel. Somewhere in the range of $200, although I wouldn't turn up my nose at a good price for a great hotel. :D I really don't want to get too expensive since it is just an overnight stopover. Free breakfast would be great, too.

I hope someone out there can help me. I have only sailed out of Miami and Port Canaveral, so I am not familiar with the FLL area. I could start digging on a hotel website, but a personal recommendation always seems better to me. Thanks!!

Does the Intercoastal Waterway count as "near the water?" If so, look at Hilton Marina and Hyatt Pier 66. Both are very close to the port, are on opposite sides of the Intercoastal from each other and both have Water Taxi stops. Neither have airport or cruise port shuttles and neither have breakfast included, though.

I would throw out the free shuttle idea because that will eliminate most of the better hotels in the FLL area.

I would go with the W Hotel, The Atlantic, and The Pelican to start.

Check out the Lago Mar. It is less than a mile from the port entrance, on the ocean, and you can watch the ships sail in in the morning. You cannot get free shuttles and free breakfast on the waterfront in Fort Lauderdale. Maybe there is a Hotel on the Hollywood beach that has this.

CYou cannot get free shuttles and free breakfast on the waterfront in Fort Lauderdale. Maybe there is a Hotel on the Hollywood beach that has this.

I kind of figured that it was going to be shuttles and/or breakfast OR the water, not both. It's nice to know that I was right. :p

Check out the Lago Mar. It is less than a mile from the port entrance, on the ocean, and you can watch the ships sail in in the morning. You cannot get free shuttles and free breakfast on the waterfront in Fort Lauderdale. Maybe there is a Hotel on the Hollywood beach that has this.

I cannot believe I didn't mention the Lago Mar. It is my favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

I cannot believe I didn't mention the Lago Mar. It is my favorite hotel in Fort Lauderdale.

Rooms start at $155 in August! I've never actually stayed there but it seems to be the perfect precruise beachfront resort based on location and reviews so I had to mention it.

There are a lot of hotels near the airport that provide free shuttle service to their hotel; however, I have not seen a lot of hotels that provide free shuttle service if they are located on the beach. I haven't seen any hotels offering free shuttle service to the port. I too am looking for a hotel in Jan. I have hotel points with Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Holiday Inn, so I will be choosing a hotel by using points. Thanks for asking your questions, it helps me narrow down my search.

The shuttle thing is over rated. The hotels, airport and Port Everglades are really close to each other. Cabs won't be that expensive (about $10 to $15, give or take.)

I like the Hyatt Pier 66. It's on the Intracoastal, not the beach, but it has a marina, a nice place to sit and watch watercraft bob in the water. There's also a water taxi stop there, so you can actually get on the water and check out some of the sites.

Las Olas Blvd is an awesome place for stolling, shopping and dining, with lots of boutiques, cafes and cocktail lounges. Riverfront Hotel is there. An intersting property on the river.

If you go out to the beach, the W or Westin are both good choices, with shopping and dining within walking distance.

Primanti Brothers (that Pittsburgh institution), Lulu's Baitshack at Beach Place, etc.

If you're up for something different, try the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood. Rooms can be had on all the hotel bidding sites. Great pools, close to the boardwalk, shops and restaurants. Naturally a cab will be a tad more to Hollywood, but not all that much.

This is for August of 2011? You have tons of time to research and I certainly wouldn't book anything now.

I also agree that you shouldn't hold the shuttles in your "must have " list. ;) The airport and port are within 15 or so min of each other, so like said earlier, the cab won't make or break you.

If I were you, I'd use Priceline or Hotwire around June of next year and go for a beach location 4 star or above and you'll save a ton and will get one of the hotels mentioned above. Those "winning" them for this month, are paying no more than $100 or so. August really is a great time for bargains.

Good luck!:)

I am definitely planning on waiting a while to book, I am just the type who likes to have an idea of what I am going to do ahead of time. Priceline might be a good idea; like I said, I have a while yet!

Yes, you can familiarize yourself with the FLL area and read tons of info and reviews here so you'll be a "pro" by the time you book.:)

Check out this site...watertaxi.com which will show you where the taxi runs in relation to the hotels. It is a fun way to see the area via waterways.

What is Lago Mar?

Archived