guaranteed or pick your own cabins

wannatan

Why don't you book an actual cabin number on Caribe, then? I don't understand why you booked a guarantee this far out -- I'd be stunned if every BA cabin on Caribe was already taken. . . . In fact, I just looked and C607 and C630 are open. There are probably more available than that.

And upgrades are so rare that I wouldn't risk losing what cabin you want just to chase the chimera of an upgrade. And your TA is wrong, by the way. I've been upgraded a lot and I don't always book guarantees.

I booked a BA guarantee since I didn't have a preference as to an actual cabin. I have never been in a BA. I usually book BB aft and none were available. So, there is no specific cabin I want - just that I would prefer Caribe so as to have a larger balcony.

I don't worry too much if selecting a minisuite, but on those occasions that we decide on moving up to the suite category I absolutely make sure to use the No Upgrade option. I learned the hard way about the Riviera deck PH suites on most the larger ships when we were rather unceremoniously bumped out of our VS at the last minute. We choose suites primarily for the location (aft-facing suites in the stern) and it's the location that's the benefit, not necessarily how high up on the food chain we might be able to go.

Theoretically you have the option to decline an upgrade if you choose a specific cabin but in practice the deed might already be done if it is a last minute upgrade. In our case the Princess rep tried to call us while we were flying to the port city and I had three messages when I landed. By the time I got to the third message we were informed that we had been "upgraded" and there was no recourse. That was the basis of my complaint to Princess and to their credit they did not argue about making an equitable resolution with me.

Beware if you have an AA mini or better--you'll find yourself on the Riviera deck--couldn't be worse-----this happened to us twice in January of this year--2--7 day Caribbean cruises--on Crown and Emerald--nothing so noisy--within 10 minutes of when the first one hit the internet I saw and called Princess--they said my cabin was already gone BUT they could help us find another--we kept the PH on Riviera--I can't imagine your aft suite going for somethin as awful as the PH's on Riviera--we'll be onnnn sundays Emerald cruise--aft suite--although I can't remember if it was VS or PS--either one is great in my book--just can't imagine checking in and find you have PH on Riviera--it was awful even from an AA let alone a suite--I would always have the aft if possible.

Nancy:D

I usually book specific cabin (BB aft) and say «no upgrade».

For the first time, I booked a BA guarantee (Ruby Transatlantic). I am starting to get cold feet since I don't want to be assigned on Lido deck - I prefer a BA on Caribe. My TA has told me that my chances of getting a complimentary upgrade are better if I stay with a guarantee. (Upgrade from BA is mini-suite - and I would LOVE a mini-suite!!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

You're already in the highest category of your cabin type which reduces your chances of an "upgrade." Most so-called upgrades are the same cabin type in a different location. Upgrades between types of cabins do happen but far less often. Trans-Atlantic cruises are often very popular and while an upgrade is possible, I wouldn't get my hopes up. You are most likely to get what you booked, i.e., a BA.

If your cruise is the Ruby 9/26 cruise, all suites and mini-suites are "waitlist only." That's going to pretty much kill any chance of an upgrade.

I booked a OOV "G" Gty on the grand and wouldn't you know they upgraded me to a "F" the one in of center of the tenders that has no view at all.:mad: I'm going to call Princess this morning about it. Does anyone know if they will change my cabin to a different one that is available? It's b4 final payment so I can cancel & rebook, however is seems simpler just to change rooms.

I booked a OOV "G" Gty on the grand and wouldn't you know they upgraded me to a "F" the one in of center of the tenders that has no view at all.:mad: I'm going to call Princess this morning about it. Does anyone know if they will change my cabin to a different one that is available? It's b4 final payment so I can cancel & rebook, however is seems simpler just to change rooms.
Princess had no problem with changing my room within the same Cat.:D:D

I booked a BA guarantee since I didn't have a preference as to an actual cabin. I have never been in a BA. I usually book BB aft and none were available. So, there is no specific cabin I want - just that I would prefer Caribe so as to have a larger balcony.

With a BA GTY you may end up on Lido deck with the standard balcony not the large one that on Caribe deck.

i usually book a guarantee and am ususally upgraded (within the category). i like the anticipation of wondering where i'll be assigned. having said that i booked my first 'no upgrade' cabin. i have an ob ov (ff) midship and know there is little obstruction out the window, just the rescue speed boat. i doubt i'll be upgraded to a balcony, so its safest to stay put i think. although the unknown is tempting me....

We went with an AE GTY this time, which is unlike me; I'm usually the one that says what cabin I want within those that are available and no upgrade. Decided to wing it this time.

I know both AE cabins are booked but the next level up is most likely going to be on Dolphin. I'd really like NOT to be on that deck, primarily because of the uncovered balconies. There are two AD's available on the Emerald deck, for a price. Can I upgrade to one of the two specific rooms on that deck? Like I said, I'm the one that chooses the cabin I want; I'm not one to wait around until someone chooses it for me.

Archived