guaranteed or pick your own cabins

wannatan

I obviously know the difference here and on our forthcomming cruise on the Sea Princess have picked our cabins, was wondering tho how many of you actually agree to a upgrade or use the guarantee cabin system and have you regretted it. We have actually picked NO UPGRADE for our feb cruise are we being stupid? Have got 2 BB grade cabins on ALOHA deck next to each other which is why we picked NO upgrade. If we did take an upgrade can we decide not to actually take it a stay with our original choice?

I don't worry too much if selecting a minisuite, but on those occasions that we decide on moving up to the suite category I absolutely make sure to use the No Upgrade option. I learned the hard way about the Riviera deck PH suites on most the larger ships when we were rather unceremoniously bumped out of our VS at the last minute. We choose suites primarily for the location (aft-facing suites in the stern) and it's the location that's the benefit, not necessarily how high up on the food chain we might be able to go.

Theoretically you have the option to decline an upgrade if you choose a specific cabin but in practice the deed might already be done if it is a last minute upgrade. In our case the Princess rep tried to call us while we were flying to the port city and I had three messages when I landed. By the time I got to the third message we were informed that we had been "upgraded" and there was no recourse. That was the basis of my complaint to Princess and to their credit they did not argue about making an equitable resolution with me.

I obviously know the difference here and on our forthcomming cruise on the Sea Princess have picked our cabins, was wondering tho how many of you actually agree to a upgrade or use the guarantee cabin system and have you regretted it. We have actually picked NO UPGRADE for our feb cruise are we being stupid? Have got 2 BB grade cabins on ALOHA deck next to each other which is why we picked NO upgrade. If we did take an upgrade can we decide not to actually take it a stay with our original choice?

We always do guarantee in the lowest cat...............have never been disappointed with our room, i don't think there is a bad room on the new Princess ships..........usually get an upgrade, sometimes to outside and have even been upgraded to balcony, but really doesn't matter to us..........by doing this we are able to cruise 6 times a year instead of one.

We always have selected the cabin(s) in the exact location we want, usually with a no-upgrade order, usually because we had our kids traveling with us in an adjacent cabin. Even when we're traveling alone, I sometimes think about booking a guaranty, but always end up selecting a specific cabin. I like knowing in advance where I'll hang my hat.;)

If we did take an upgrade can we decide not to actually take it a stay with our original choice?
Most often, no. Which is why you are given the option to mark your booking "No Upgrade". As others have noted, you are much better off keeping your booking as you currently have it.

I have always booked guarantee and always been happy with my assignment. Some I was much happier with than others, but never unhappy.

We always book balcony or mini suite, usually balcony and always accept upgrades if offered. The upgrades I have received have always been in the same category. I'm still hoping to go from a balcony to a mini or a mini to a full suite. Maybe it will happen on the next cruise.

We are too particular as to where on the ship we want to be to ever allow a GTY or even an upgrade!

We've gone with guarantees most of the time because that's all that has been offered in the lowest category of the type of cabin we want at the time we've booked. For our Sapphire Princess cruise this month, however, we did have a choice of three cabins. I decided that any of them--and any higher category ones--would be fine. We got upgraded from an obstructed view cabin to an unobstructed view.

Our next cruise is on the Island Princess, which I booked while on the Sapphire. Only guarantees were offered for the lowest obstructed view cabins (Cat. HH). We've already been upgraded to a Cat. D unobstructed view.

If we were picky about where we wanted to be on the ship, I'd choose a cabin very carefully and mark it "no upgrades" on the booking. But we've been at the front of the ship, at the back of the ship, in the middle of the ship, under the pool, above the theater, etc., and never had any problems. Both of us can sleep through anything, DH even more than me.

Where do you prefer to stay?

Depends on the ship - upcoming Princess Sapphire we got E731 a mini-suite with an extra large balcony - last mini on E-deck. If the ship has some nice Aft facing balconies we usually try for those love the view! On HAL aft facing cabins have huge balconies.

Wannatan, on your other post you say you have chosen A333 and A327. I would definitely stick with these two cabins as you obviously prefer two adjacent cabins and yes I believe the divider between the two can be opened. Also these cabins have cabins above and below them. If you did not tick the no upgrade box look at where you might be upgrade to - all the BA grades are in the middle of A deck or on Riviera deck both have a with pool area above which might be noisy with sun loungers being dragged around. I certainly wouldn't want one of those. You maybe lucky and get an upgrade to a mini suite or suite but there are not that many on the Sea princess.

I've done a GTY only once and that was years ago. I learned that I get much better pricing and can pick my cabin by booking early.

A few years ago, my sister & BIL and I booked "AD" cabins next to each other on Emerald deck. Our bookings were linked but we didn't put "no upgrade" on the bookings. One day, my TA called me and let me know that she'd been checking my booking and discovered that Princess had "upgraded" me -- just me -- to an "AC" at the very front of the ship on Dolphin deck with a fully-exposed balcony (I don't do sun as my dermatolotist would kill me.) I was moved almost an entire ship's length away from my sister & BIL. They did it without asking either my TA or me; they just did it. After some arguing, my TA was able to get my cabin back but ever since then, I've marked my booking "No upgrade." One experience with a so-called "upgrade" without asking or telling anyone cured me of not protecting my cabin choice.

We are somewhat particular on location so we generally pick a cabin and request no upgrade. We have been upgraded a few times on Princess and it has been to our benefit each time. Our next cruise went against type for us, we selected a guarantee in the minimum category acceptable to us. The cabin assigned is exactly where I would have picked which is good so far. We still could end up being upgraded to a less desirable location but we have our fingers crossed.

We are somewhat particular on location so we generally pick a cabin and request no upgrade. We have been upgraded a few times on Princess and it has been to our benefit each time. Our next cruise went against type for us, we selected a guarantee in the minimum category acceptable to us. The cabin assigned is exactly where I would have picked which is good so far. We still could end up being upgraded to a less desirable location but we have our fingers crossed.

One of the regular posters here (I think TotoKansas but not sure) has a really good upgrade story to tell which will forever keep me from taking any upgrades! Although they got upgraded to a suite it was directly under the pool - more noise night and day than they could take could hardly get enough sleep.....

was wondering tho how many of you actually agree to a upgrade or use the guarantee cabin system and have you regretted it?

Whether we picked a cabin and were then upgraed or did a GTY and were upgraded, we have never been unhappy with the cabin location or category assigned.

Locationwise, if one goes to the buffet and to the atrium, then the location of the cabin just means one is closer, but overall you will travel the same distance.

The only unhappiness we have had is if the assigned cabin is a quad which has two additional beds hanging on the wall as they are head bumping hazards.

We were upgraded from an obstructed view to a WINDOW SUITE on the Golden several weeks ago. We usually book a GTY in the cat. we are comfy with and cross our fingers for better. Of course, IF I can ever get my brother & SIL to come with us then I'll pick cabins.

Whether we picked a cabin and were then upgraed or did a GTY and were upgraded, we have never been unhappy with the cabin location or category assigned.

Locationwise, if one goes to the buffet and to the atrium, then the location of the cabin just means one is closer, but overall you will travel the same distance.

The only unhappiness we have had is if the assigned cabin is a quad which has two additional beds hanging on the wall as they are head bumping hazards.

ditto..............hate that

On my last cruise, I opted for no upgrade. I had a VS. Love the aft location and didn't want to end up under the pool in a higher level suite. When I booked the Princess rep politely tried to change my mind, but I didn't want to risk it. If you are happy, pick no upgrade.

I usually book a BB on Caribe deck but recently booked a BG guar. because the cabin price was $300 lower for a 7 night western caribbean on the Crown. Today was final payment day and I just got an e-mail from my TA saying we had allready been upgraded to. a BB on Caribe. Couldn't be happier.

I usually book specific cabin (BB aft) and say «no upgrade».

For the first time, I booked a BA guarantee (Ruby Transatlantic). I am starting to get cold feet since I don't want to be assigned on Lido deck - I prefer a BA on Caribe. My TA has told me that my chances of getting a complimentary upgrade are better if I stay with a guarantee. (Upgrade from BA is mini-suite - and I would LOVE a mini-suite!!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I usually book specific cabin (BB aft) and say «no upgrade».

For the first time, I booked a BA guarantee (Ruby Transatlantic). I am starting to get cold feet since I don't want to be assigned on Lido deck - I prefer a BA on Caribe. My TA has told me that my chances of getting a complimentary upgrade are better if I stay with a guarantee. (Upgrade from BA is mini-suite - and I would LOVE a mini-suite!!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Why don't you book an actual cabin number on Caribe, then? I don't understand why you booked a guarantee this far out -- I'd be stunned if every BA cabin on Caribe was already taken. . . . In fact, I just looked and C607 and C630 are open. There are probably more available than that.

And upgrades are so rare that I wouldn't risk losing what cabin you want just to chase the chimera of an upgrade. And your TA is wrong, by the way. I've been upgraded a lot and I don't always book guarantees.

Archived