Bed bugs in stateroom

SailingGrace

Just check the bed at the cheap motel you stay at the night before. Problem solved.

I think you are right about that one. :eek:

I bet Carnival takes pretty good care of those comfy beds.

to much time and money not to

not like a motel, send you to a different room.

The ship is most likely sailing full...

I don't know what Carnival's policy is on bedbugs in the stateroom, or any cruisline's policy. But I know definitely that if they were found in our stateroom, no amount of cleaning, sanitizing, removing mattresses, etc., would be enough to get me to stay in that stateroom. They hide behind switchplates, under the strips of wood that hold the carpet in place, behind dresser drawers, etc. One treatment is usually not enough.

We had the exterminator come to our house every two weeks for several months.

So, they would either have to move me to another stateroom, or we'd sleep on the chairs by the pool. Guess we'd be Chair Hogs!

Maybe all the cruise lines should look into mattress covers that kill the critters - according to the company web site they are designed for installations that are exposed to reinvestation - all it takes is one passenger to reinvest what you worked so hard to eliminate. It's been discussed on another thread here's the company site that sells the covers:

Allergytechnologies.com

But then again, like a previous poster already mentioned - bedbugs have been around for centuries and it's only news today because somebody thought it would sell a newspaper. I don't believe they are any better or worse than they ever have been.

don't mean to sound stupid...but what do bed bugs look like?

Educating yourself is never stupid! The adults are very tiny, brown to reddish brown in color. Probably easier to spot are the very small brownish or black trails they leave behind on the mattress or sheets. WebMD has some good photos and info about how to identify bites - if you find yourself bitten wash with soap and water and apply antiseptic ointment and or anti-itch creams. Type in your search engine: what do bedbugs look like - you'll get tons of info!

Maybe all the cruise lines should look into mattress covers that kill the critters - according to the company web site they are designed for installations that are exposed to reinvestation - all it takes is one passenger to reinvest what you worked so hard to eliminate. It's been discussed on another thread here's the company site that sells the covers:

Allergytechnologies.com

But then again, like a previous poster already mentioned - bedbugs have been around for centuries and it's only news today because somebody thought it would sell a newspaper. I don't believe they are any better or worse than they ever have been.

Sorry - that should read "re-infest" - although maybe inVesting in bedbug treatment companies might not be a bad idea right now!:rolleyes:

Sorry, but that's just not true. Ask any certified Pest Control expert.

Our exterminator has been in business for over 30 years. In the past 2 - 3 years, his bedbug calls have increased dramatically.

Although they may have been around for ages, DDT was successfully used back then to treat them. Once the chemical was banned, they were able to come back with a vengeance. Look at all the places they are now found. Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch, the Empire State building, movie theaters, etc.

They are showing up in hotels out in Vegas too.

So yes, they are worse now than they have ever been. Hope you won't ever have to find out.

Just check the bed at the cheap motel you stay at the night before. Problem solved.

Wow, now you have me thinking how easily bed bugs could get onboard.

Many people stay in a hotel the night before...but I stay at home so my luggage SHOULD be fine...right...well NO if it's stacked in the loading bins with everyone elses luggage that could or could not be infested....and maybe their bags got infested in the cargo bin of the airplane they flew in on. :eek:

Sorry, but that's just not true. Ask any certified Pest Control expert.

Our exterminator has been in business for over 30 years. In the past 2 - 3 years, his bedbug calls have increased dramatically.

Although they may have been around for ages, DDT was successfully used back then to treat them. Once the chemical was banned, they were able to come back with a vengeance. Look at all the places they are now found. Victoria's Secret, Abercrombie and Fitch, the Empire State building, movie theaters, etc.

They are showing up in hotels out in Vegas too.

So yes, they are worse now than they have ever been. Hope you won't ever have to find out.

This is pretty scary. I did not realize it has become such a problem.

Wow, now you have me thinking how easily bed bugs could get onboard.

Many people stay in a hotel the night before...but I stay at home so my luggage SHOULD be fine...right...well NO if it's stacked in the loading bins with everyone elses luggage that could or could not be infested....and maybe their bags got infested in the cargo bin of the airplane they flew in on. :eek:

It's always a good idea to treat your luggage BEFORE the trip. That way, if there is contact with other luggage, or bedbugs in the room, you have some degree of protection. Most permethrin sprays will last a week or 2, so if you treat right before your trip, you should have some level of protection throughout the cruise.

I would not leave it up to Carnival. We bring permethrin spray.

Where do we get that and what is the brand?

I admit I'm paranoid about BBs. I do not think this is a small concern, it's an epidemic. I read about a family with a lovely home who tried multiple options, finally resorting to tenting their home for treatment. All to the tune of about $40,000, not covered by homeowners.

Bedbugs are becoming resistant to many of the pesticides used to kill them. I've read that they will sit on a pesticide treated sheet until they die, so they aren't deterred by sprays the way some insects might be. If they are hungry they will find a human to bite & feed on.

It's really an ugly problem. My worst fear isn't having a hotel room or cabin that has been infected with them. It's what happens when you unwittingly bring them home. They are terribly hard to get rid, you have to box up everything you own & have your house sprayed. Often takes multiple rounds of treatment. Very expensive & emotionally taxing.

I've read you should not even unpack your clothes, just leave them in your suitcase. I hate that but am considering it. I like to have things be organized - will definitely look in the drawers to make sure I don't see any critters. But the way they can hide in a crevice, who knows if they are there & hiding inside a crack in the drawer. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them.

Allergytechnologies.com

Sorry but I disagree - they getting more prevalent all the time..:(

Seems when exterminators were forced to discontinue using DDT (though that was a good thing) which was used to kill cockroaches, the little bedbugs who had also been killed started multiplying like crazy..and 'cause folks had never seen them or hadn't seen any for a long time they didn't pay much heed and so they spread...They have even been found in a movie theatre, the Empire State Building, many motels and hotels including luxury ones & on a cruiseship the Celebrity Summit..etc.. :(

Bed bugs are becoming an epidemic..There are lots of threads on this subject on CC (HAL, RCCL & Celebrity boards as well as here) and in newspapers & on TV..

I've read you should not even unpack your clothes, just leave them in your suitcase. I hate that but am considering it. I like to have things be organized - will definitely look in the drawers to make sure I don't see any critters. But the way they can hide in a crevice, who knows if they are there & hiding inside a crack in the drawer. Makes my skin crawl just thinking about them

We buy those giant zip lock bags and put our clothes in them. We'll leave them in our luggage, but NEVER put our luggage under the bed. Then we'll have an empty bag to put our dirties in. I will hang up a few things in the closet, but before I do that, we'll use the flashlight and spray everything.

they can not climb successfully on plastic, so a plastic suitcase would be a good idea. alse bring another empty plasic bag to put your worn pajamas, and anything else you may have sat on your bed in when you are done, then when you get home take it right out of the bad in put it in the washer on sanitary then the dryer on hot for at least 1 hour and 20 minutes.

as a bed bug survivor I have done a bit of research as to how to keep these things from ever getting in my home again.

Bedbugs are becoming an epidemic again. They are being mentioned on all the news shows and newspapers. They were even found in the basement gym of the Empire State Bldg last week and they aren't just in cheap motels. They are using dogs to sniff them out. The good news is they don't carry diseases, but make life miserale for those they bite. They even hitch rides on luggage and clothing and end up in planes and restaurants and schools and your house. Oh, goodnite...don't let the bedbugs bite!

I check the beds in my cabin as SOON as I get in and do not wait till bed time. Takes moments to pull sheets up and check seams and if you don't see little blood spots or bugs, you are good to go.:)

Whenever I hear about bed bugs somewhere I decide I'm going to check my bed as soon as I check into a hotel or cabin but then I NEVER remember to do that. I'm sure if I ever have an encounter with them it will help me remember the next time though. :eek:

Whenever I hear about bed bugs somewhere I decide I'm going to check my bed as soon as I check into a hotel or cabin but then I NEVER remember to do that. I'm sure if I ever have an encounter with them it will help me remember the next time though. :eek:

If you ever wake up with them crawling on your body while you sleep you will never not check again, and I pray that NEVER HAPPENS FOR YOU.

I lived with bed bugs for a year. Finally had to move and throw away everything I owned after a thousand failed attempts to get rid of them in an apartment building in Florida.

Now I have my home treated for them regularly and follow every precaution to prevent them ever coming home.

Its so easy to pull the sheets and check for bed bug signs at check in. Black spots on the sheets or mattress, and check seams and pillowtop edges for bugs or the black feces.

The good news is they are not drawn to luggage, they are drawn to CO2 and body heat. They don't want your suitcase they want your blood. If you keep your luggage safely away from the beds, and bag dirty clothes and wash them on hot heat and dry them for a good 90-120 minutes, your in pretty good shape. I drive a black car and I generally leave my empty suitecases in the hot florida sun (heat in excess of 100 degrees kills them) for a few days when I return from anywhere even if i haven't seen a bug.

Some people think I take it over board... But I cannot describe the horror I lived with, and I will do ANYTHING to make sure it never happens again.

I've recently been bitten by the bedbug phobia. Last year while visiting a resort in Punta Cana, my wife was attacked by what we assumed were mosquitoes. She complained they itched worse than mosquito bites and we eventually had to see a doctor at a clinic off of the resort.

In hindsight after doing the research, we believe the bites were from bedbugs. I was probably bitten too, but not everyone reacts to the bites. (My wife says she's just sweeter than I am :o)

I won’t even bring my luggage into a room now without first checking the room for signs of infestation. That includes but is not limited to completely stripping the beds and flipping the mattresses around. Most headboards lift off the walls, so I remove and inspect behind them as well. I also remove drawers and inspect the undersides. All in all, it takes maybe 15 minutes to do a check. Not only are you looking for bugs themselves, but also their feces, molted skins and eggs.

We have noticed some hotels are now wrapping their mattresses and box springs in anti-bedbug bags.

We never set luggage on the floor or on the bed and we try to hang as much as we can or store items on hard surfaces. Immediately upon returning home, we unpack our bags on the front porch and immediately wash every piece of clothing. Luggage is then stored in plastic trash bags in a location where it gets very hot or very cold. Bedbug eggs are sticky, the nymphs are tiny and the adults can live for a year without feeding.

Do some research on line; you do NOT want bed bugs in your home! It's a horror story.

Archived