How much can you ask of a butler?

s&l

Was reading the penthouse thread and got to wondering just how much you can ask the butler to do?

We've never sailed before and have our first cruise in an OS on Marina next November. But, not having even seen a real butler before, I'm sort of worried that we may not use him/her to our advantage. :) But, just as importantly, we don't want to be too demanding or pesky either.

We'll probably be spending a lot of time in our cabin and will probably eat many of our meals there, so utilizing the butler will be a big part of our first cruise experience.

Also, I see it asked quite often how much extra to tip them, but don't really see any actual numbers. I realize it should be based on quality of service, but say we're given what we feel to be excellent service, would $10 or $20 a day (above and beyond the auto tip) be too much? Too little?

Just one more question... :)

Can you only call on your butler during certain times of the day? We are night people and, most times, don't go to bed until 5 or 6 in the morning. Would we be able to ask him for things during the night hours?

Okay...just one more...honest.

Do you have the same butler for the entire cruise?

Thanks (sorry so many questions),

Leland

Was reading the penthouse thread and got to wondering just how much you can ask the butler to do?

We've never sailed before and have our first cruise in an OS on Marina next November. But, not having even seen a real butler before, I'm sort of worried that we may not use him/her to our advantage. :) But, just as importantly, we don't want to be too demanding or pesky either.[u]Anything reasonable can be asked and happily done.This includes packing and unpacking which we have never availed ourselves of.[/u]

We'll probably be spending a lot of time in our cabin and will probably eat many of our meals there, so utilizing the butler will be a big part of our first cruise experience.

Also, I see it asked quite often how much extra to tip them, but don't really see any actual numbers. I realize it should be based on quality of service, but say we're given what we feel to be excellent service, would $10 or $20 a day (above and beyond the auto tip) be too much? Too little? A recent thread said $3-5/day extra. We tend to five more because we also spend quite a bit ior time in our suite and on our balcony.

Can you only call on your butler during certain times of the day? We are night people and, most times, don't go to bed until 5 or 6 in the morning. Would we be able to ask him for things during the night hours? Butler service is always available but you might not always get your butler on off hours.Someone will always answer the butler line when you call,

Do you have the same butler for the entire cruise? Our experience is yes. We even had the same one on a 36 night cruise this spring.

Thanks (sorry so many questions),Just ask!:)

Leland

We've never sailed before and have our first cruise in an OS on Marina next November. But, not having even seen a real butler before, I'm sort of worried that we may not use him/her to our advantage. :) But, just as importantly, we don't want to be too demanding or pesky either.

Also, I see it asked quite often how much extra to tip them, but don't really see any actual numbers. I realize it should be based on quality of service, but say we're given what we feel to be excellent service, would $10 or $20 a day (above and beyond the auto tip) be too much? Too little?

Can you only call on your butler during certain times of the day? We are night people and, most times, don't go to bed until 5 or 6 in the morning. Would we be able to ask him for things during the night hours?

Do you have the same butler for the entire cruise?

Thanks (sorry so many questions),

Leland

If the service is outstanding I give $100 additional..I have breakfast in my stateroom every morning, tea in my stateroom in the afternoon and at least one night have dinner in stateroom with courses from each restaurant. So I see my butler a lot..I also have quite a few pwople in for cocktails and he sets up munchies..you will not see the same butler at night as during the day but I have never had a butler I didnt like on any of my 15 cruises..

Jancruz1

Leland-

There were so many aspects to your questions, that I decided to approach this as a cut and paste job. I hope this format works for you:

Q) Was reading the penthouse thread and got to wondering just how much you can ask the butler to do?

A) Think of your butler as something of your personal concierge on the ship. As an experienced Oceania employee, your Butler will quide you through the cruise without your having to know any of the mundane details.

Q) We've never sailed before and have our first cruise in an OS on Marina next November. But, not having even seen a real butler before, I'm sort of worried that we may not use him/her to our advantage. :) But, just as importantly, we don't want to be too demanding or pesky either.

A) Using the butler to your full advantage won't be intimidating in any way as long as you are secure in the knowlege that his primary duty is to make your voyage more pleasant, and stress free.

My honest advice is to simply tell the butler your goals, he will figure out a way to make them happen.

Butlers don't clean the rooms, they supervise a small staff who do that type of thing, so they can concentrate on extending your enjoyment.

Q) We'll probably be spending a lot of time in our cabin and will probably eat many of our meals there, so utilizing the butler will be a big part of our first cruise experience.

A) "In Suite Dining" is one of the areas where Oceania really blows the competition out of the water. The linens are starched and immaculate, the table is set to perfection, and the food is really wonderful.

Q) Also, I see it asked quite often how much extra to tip them, but don't really see any actual numbers. I realize it should be based on quality of service, but say we're given what we feel to be excellent service, would $10 or $20 a day (above and beyond the auto tip) be too much? Too little?

A) Nobody can really answer this question for you, because it is tantamount to asking us to spend your money.

I will warn you in advance, however, that the butler service is polished, seamless and VERY addictive. You may well find yourself in a position where it is your choice to overtip!

One tipping hint that we will pass on is that we always give the butler part of his tip on the first day, when he first comes into the stateroom to introduce himself.

At this point we also give him an overview of how we expect to be using his services (for example, we entertain in the room a good deal).

Our thinking is that, however generous we may choose to be, the butler cannot give us better service once we are off the ship, so tipping on the last day, although traditional, has a diminished return.

Q) Can you only call on your butler during certain times of the day? We are night people and, most times, don't go to bed until 5 or 6 in the morning. Would we be able to ask him for things during the night hours?

A) The Butler service is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The way that it works is that all the butlers carry cellphones. The passenger calls that # to page the butler and he will either appear or telephone back within a few minutes.

This may be a good time to point out that although I say "he", you may come across the occasional female butler.

Q) Do you have the same butler for the entire cruise?

A) Yes, the Butler who is serves you during daylight hours is your primary butler. Naturally, the butlers work in shifts and sometimes cover for each other as demands warrant, but "your" Butler will be on duty each day.

We really hope that this helped, Have a fantastic first cruise!!

You've made a great start by choosing such a wonderful cruise line!

Jim & Stan

I agree with Jim&Stan (as usual) about tipping the butler. When Miro introduced himself to use after we boarded, my husband gave him 1/2 of our normal additional tip immediately and let him know how he might anticipate our needs for the cruise. We let him know the specific time we required ice each day, our plans to dine in and on which nites (days of long or late excursions) that we already knew about. Our needs are simple, but it was great to be able to outline them once and then let him expertly handle everything! We did give him an additional amount at the end of the cruise, but again, each passenger should do whatever makes them comfortable. (Hey, where is Miro now???? I could sure use a cup of tea and some munches!!!)

Thanks everyone for the great answers. I like the idea of letting them know the first day what our schedule might be since we're such oddballs.

This cruise will be for our 25th anniversary and we are not experienced travelers...I can almost count the number of trips we've done on one hand. :) We're real homebodies, so I'm hoping we'll feel comfy in the cabin, but with a little extra pampering on top of it.

I just wish we didn't have to wait so long. :(

Leland

Marina's OS is going to be soooo beautiful, I'm sure you're going to feel so comfortable, especially with a butler....:p If it was me, they would have a hard time dragging me out of the ship...:D

I'm pretty sure that the OP has booked an Owners Suite, but we are going to have to think up some new abreviations because Marina also Has OCEANIA Suites, which would also be an OS. ;)

I'm pretty sure that the OP has booked an Owners Suite, but we are going to have to think up some new abreviations because Marina also Has OCEANIA Suites, which would also be an OS. ;)

They are listed in the deck plans as OC maybe that will work here as well ;)

I will never have one of those either :(

Enjoy your OC guys I am sooo jealous

Lyn

They are listed in the deck plans as OC maybe that will work here as well ;)

I will never have one of those either :(

Enjoy your OC guys I am sooo jealous

Lyn

me tooo.....some say you need to visualize what you wish for...well I've been visualizing myself in that photo of the living room.......outside in the jacuzzi....ahhhhh...i'll let you know if it ever come true..:cool::p

The Oceania Suites on Marina are called OC so they are already differentiated.

Jancruz1

Yepper, ours is an Owners Suite. We figured we might as well go all out if we're gonna do it. We'll never do an OS again (that's guaranteed!)), but if we ever cruise again, we'll know what it's like to stay in one. :)

Leland

Yepper, ours is an Owners Suite. We figured we might as well go all out if we're gonna do it. We'll never do an OS again (that's guaranteed!)), but if we ever cruise again, we'll know what it's like to stay in one. :)

Leland

Oh Leland, Leland, Leland, it's HELL to give it up, once you've had it...........

0000OwnersSuite_Bedroom_Oceania_Cruises_Marina_2.jpg

Oh Leland, Leland, Leland, it's HELL to give it up, once you've had it...........

Oh I bet, but there's this little thing called retirement that I sure would like to do in 10 or 20 years. We do any more of these OS's and I'll be working til I'm 90! :D

Leland

• 1 year later...

when you tip on the first day, do you give them cash? I thought the standard tipping is done automatically to your account bill and you can adjust that amount on the last day.

I'm new to luxury cruising and I don't really anticipate I will be using the butler much as I am quite hands-on but I like to be taken care off when I need.

What if the tip I give on the first day is less than the other passengers? will that influence the butler's treatment? :rolleyes:

when you tip on the first day, do you give them cash? I thought the standard tipping is done automatically to your account bill and you can adjust that amount on the last day.

I'm new to luxury cruising and I don't really anticipate I will be using the butler much as I am quite hands-on but I like to be taken care off when I need.

What if the tip I give on the first day is less than the other passengers? will that influence the butler's treatment? :rolleyes:

when you tip on the first day, do you give them cash?
Yes

I thought the standard tipping is done automatically to your account bill and you can adjust that amount on the last day.
It is traditional to give the tip on the last day, however, the logic behind tipping on the first day is that if you are a good tipper you will hopefully get improved service. If you are a good tipper on the last day, it is already too late for the butler to improve.
if the tip I give on the first day is less than the other passengers? will that influence the butler's treatment?
What do YOU think?? :cool:
I don't really anticipate I will be using the butler much as I am quite hands-on but I like to be taken care off when I need.
Except for jogging down to the Suite Lounge to pick up snacks and sodas, there is precious little that a passenger can do instead of his butler. You are far better off to sit back, relax, and let the butler take care of everything.

It is WORTH the Tip!

You do not have to tip in advance

Some people feel the need to give extra upfront but they may give parties or ask a lot of the butler

I think you will get the same service either way ;)

The $10 pd pc will be added to your account automatically

You do not have to tip in advance

Some people feel the need to give extra upfront but they may give parties or ask a lot of the butler

I think you will get the same service either way ;)...

Agree, we got very good service from our butler with no upfront tipping. He was very attentive and quickly handled our requests with a great attitude. However, we were not very demanding.

First let me say that I always tip the butler (as well as housekeepers) a significant amount extra. However, I also have to say this is one of the reasons I prefer all inclusive lines. If I am on a 19 day cruise as I was on Marina I am already tipping the butler $10 a day included on my onboard account, or $190. That's not an insignificant tip. On top of that I tipped an extra $100 so he got in total from me $290. And basically, all I asked of him was to make extra reservations in the specialty restaurants. On the R ships the butler always brings morning capuccinos and breads but on the Marina I found it easier and faster to get those myself from the lounge. I guess my point is extra tripping is a personal thing, it really should not be expected by the butler over and above what is included in your onboard account imo UNLESS he does some extraordinary things for you over and above the norm. For instance on the Regatta in Alaska in June we had the best butler ever for whom nothing was too much. He did things we didn't even ask for. So I gladly gave him a big extra tip.

For instance on the Regatta in Alaska in June we had the best butler ever for whom nothing was too much. He did things we didn't even ask for. So I gladly gave him a big extra tip.

But did you give him the big extra tip upfront???

I do tip extra at the end of the cruise to those that went above & beyond but it is not required as suggested above to tip UPFRONT for better service

It is a personal thing & you should do what works best for you

We are happy with the basic service O employees give ...it is much better than some other lines ;)

No, I did not give him the tip upfront. I gave it to him the night before we disembarked. Normally, I do not require much from the butler so tipping upfront to get supposedly better service is unnecessary. In this case he was so helpful in so many ways that I couldn't wait to hand him the envelope.

This thread truly perplexes me. I thought the whole idea behind having "automatic" gratuities was to take away the entire tipping issue and let everyone simply enjoy their cruise and not worry about if I should tip and how much. Also, it was my understanding that by having an "automatic" tip, all those crew members who provide service are being taken care of -- like the waiter who brings you room service when your butler is off duty. O's new policy of $18.50 pp/pd for those passengers in suites+ an additional $4 pp/pd for those with butlers (well, that's everyone in a suite) comes to $45 a day. We will be on a 14 days cruise and that comes to $630. I think that is a fair tip and am happy to pay it. I have been in an Owner's Suite on the Regatta and we had a poor butler. I don't think any additional tip would have helped. I have also been in a Penthouse Suite and had extraordinary service. I have been sailing mostly on Silversea and Regent for the past couple of years and really like the all-inclusive "feel." No one even discusses tipping -- no one. I thought that this is what O was trying to accomplish when they went to the automatic tips as well as the automatic tip for other shipboard services (i.e. bar). I appreciate good service and am happy to tip.... I just thought that that was exactly what the "automatic" tip was supposed to be for.

Archived