Pre-paid tips...does the cabin steward know?

BluexMoon

Do they know that we have prepaid our tips, so they don't think we are stiffing them? And, so if I decide to add a bit in cash on days we have more requests, they won't think that's all we are giving?

I've always just tipped cash every day, because I wasn't sure about this.

I have read on one of these posts here that there is a list of the folks who have "removed" their automatic tips, posted somewhere in crew quarters. This was reported by someone who took the behind the scenes tour of the ship. So they will likely know if you have removed them.

I have always left my automatatic tips in place, and only tipped extra the last night of the cruise to my room steward, dining room waiters and drink waiter, when service has been excellent. But if you feel like tipping during the week for extra requests than there is nothing wrong with that, and lots of people do that.

You should tip each time for room service, 1 to 2 dollars per item, but you dont have to tip everyone else extra all the time unless you feel like they have given you extra special service. Whatever makes you feel comfortable is fine. And if you do decide tip extra each time, Im sure you will be well looked after.:)

I have read on one of these posts here that there is a list of the folks who have "removed" their automatic tips, posted somewhere in crew quarters. This was reported by someone who took the behind the scenes tour of the ship. So they will likely know if you have removed them.

I have always left my automatatic tips in place, and only tipped extra the last night of the cruise to my room steward, dining room waiters and drink waiter, when service has been excellent. But if you feel like tipping during the week for extra requests than there is nothing wrong with that, and lots of people do that.

You should tip each time for room service, 1 to 2 dollars per item, but you dont have to tip everyone else extra all the time unless you feel like they have given you extra special service. Whatever makes you feel comfortable is fine. And if you do decide tip extra each time, Im sure you will be well looked after.:)

To me it seems hard to believe that a behind the scenes tour would include the crew quarters.

If I give them a cash tip I always say this is a little extra so they know it's not in place of the regular tip. I usually tip on the second or third day. Before my first cruise I read that tips they get on the last day are shared but tips before then they get to keep. I have read different opinions about this but I don't like waiting till the last night just seems to rushed to me.

We are supposed to think that they know nothing until the end of the cruise.

They don't know who's pre-tipped or auto-tipped, but they DO know who has REMOVED their tip.

If you don't pre-pay, it's added to your sign and sail account, so you can't really "stiff" them. Right?? I always give extra throughout the crusie, also, especially to room steward; they always do such a wonderful job for us.

If you don't pre-pay, it's added to your sign and sail account, so you can't really "stiff" them. Right?? I always give extra throughout the crusie, also, especially to room steward; they always do such a wonderful job for us.

The automatic gratuity can be removed by a simple visit to the Guest Services Desk and asking them to not be added.

Regarding the 'list' above, that information was not supposed to be available to the staff until the ship returns to port and the passengers debark.

:)

Go to guest services, adjust up, down or remove anytime during cruise. They do know if you remove. Several years ago we had a lazy room steward, went to guest services removed his tip on 3rd day. Next morning he knocked on door and asked why. We told him why, he changed and we put tip back on.

If you think they do not know till after cruise, your mistaken.

Go to guest services, adjust up, down or remove anytime during cruise. They do know if you remove. Several years ago we had a lazy room steward, went to guest services removed his tip on 3rd day. Next morning he knocked on door and asked why. We told him why, he changed and we put tip back on.

If you think they do not know till after cruise, your mistaken.

I did not know this. Thanks for the info. On last cruise I failed to pre-pay, but it was added to my sign and sail, so no problem. I would not think of not tipping...it's such a small amount. I do always give extra, which seems to be the concensus here.

I have no idea if anyone knows or not. I always prepay my tips and I've had excellent service in all areas, so much so that I add something extra at the end. IMO, it's such a small amount that I just include it as part of the cost of the cruise, just like insurance.

Archived