Bring one bottle of liquor on board?

burrma

How sticky is Celebrity when in port and you bring one bottle on board in your totebag? I know it's not allowed but some cruise lines tend to overlook it; if it's only one bottle. Others take it and keep it till the last night.

What have people found with Celebrity?

You know it's not allowed, you want to do it anyway, and you want us to help you? Think about that.

Meanwhile do a search of this board and you will find many reports of how Celebrity has handled it when people try to bring forbidden items on board.

Agree, if they find it, it is gone in most cases. We usually buy wines in a few ports and hand it over as we come back on. One time, our friends had a bottle of wine in their bag and went through the bag checker, and ours was taken and marked for return. Certainly will happen with liquor.

So unless you makes plans on how to get it home (flying home?), you'll have a problem.

Denny

How sticky is Celebrity when in port and you bring one bottle on board in your totebag? I know it's not allowed but some cruise lines tend to overlook it; if it's only one bottle. Others take it and keep it till the last night.

What have people found with Celebrity?

Celebrity does not overlook bottles of liquor like you say other cruiselines do. That's bringing them on at embarkation and at a port, which you mention.

You know it's not allowed, you want to do it anyway, and you want us to help you? Think about that.

Meanwhile do a search of this board and you will find many reports of how Celebrity has handled it when people try to bring forbidden items on board.

Thanks for all your replies and sorry to cruise stitch for asking for your advice. I thought CC was for sharing hints and past stories; even though he might be "perfect"; every cruise line has this policy(no alcohol allowed to bring on board; there are some cruise lines that turn a blind eye to one bottle in your totebag; won't share here what cruise lines those are; don't want to help others or upset cruise stitch! Have a good day.

PS. I don't even drink but was asking for many of my friends who do bring the law and bring a bottle with them.

Well, when we boarded a Princess sailing in San Juan, there was a liquor store in the cruise terminal, and there were had signs up all over the terminal saying it was illegal for the cruise line to force you to hand over any of your property, including liquor. I don't know whether that's true but that's what the signs said.

I haven't cruised Celebrity before and the other two cruise lines I've been on seemed to make absolutely no effort to confiscate alcohol at embarkation. My impression was that they would ignore a bottle or two, but a case might be a different story. On returning from ports, there were some people who obediently handed over their purchases, and some who just sent their tote bags through and had no trouble.

I think it's a legitimate question -- how aggressive is Celebrity at enforcing the rule? If they really do mean DO NOT BRING ANY ALCOHOL ON BOARD IN YOUR LUGGAGE, well, OK, I can find another cruise line that's a bit more reasonable. I guess.

Well, when we boarded a Princess sailing in San Juan, there was a liquor store in the cruise terminal, and there were had signs up all over the terminal saying it was illegal for the cruise line to force you to hand over any of your property, including liquor. I don't know whether that's true but that's what the signs said.

I haven't cruised Celebrity before and the other two cruise lines I've been on seemed to make absolutely no effort to confiscate alcohol at embarkation. My impression was that they would ignore a bottle or two, but a case might be a different story. On returning from ports, there were some people who obediently handed over their purchases, and some who just sent their tote bags through and had no trouble.

I think it's a legitimate question -- how aggressive is Celebrity at enforcing the rule? If they really do mean DO NOT BRING ANY ALCOHOL ON BOARD IN YOUR LUGGAGE, well, OK, I can find another cruise line that's a bit more reasonable. I guess.

That's why there are other Lines if that is a priority for you.

As to other Lines making "absolutely no effort": on Princess, took a few wines on with no problem but they took the liquor. And I think the sign in the liquor store was very true....until you stepped on the ship. Your option was to step back off if you didn't want to hand it over, so guess that means they weren't forcing you to hand it over - your choice to cruise or not.

Denny

I don't bring wine or booze with me but I did purchase a bottle of

tequilla while on a cruise to the Mexican Riveria. They took that bottle

from me upon returning to the ship and gave it back on the last night.

(I bought it when I was on an excursion). So, they do check when folks

are returning to the ship.

We were given a bottle of Limoncello after our private tour, by the driver. We knew it would be taken when we reboarded at Naples. But lo and behold it was returned pre-dinner on the last night. So we enjoyed a couple sips on our verandah before and after dinner. And had a bit more on our post stay in Venice.;)

You know, the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get about the cruise lines' policy on bringing aboard alcohol.

If I stay in a hotel that has a bar, I'm sure they'd prefer that I buy my liquor from their bar or room service. But they don't search my luggage and my person and confiscate my personal property in an effort to increase my spending. And don't try to tell me it's safety -- I could jump off a balcony in a hotel just as easily as on a ship!

AND -- the fact that they will allow wine but not spirits is inexplicable. I actually cannot drink wine at all because it causes severe migraines. So what, you obedient apologists for the inexcusable, could possibly be the rationale for that!

I think I'll get a wine bottle, fill it with vodka, and everyone will be happy!

And the more annoyed someone gets over some 'unjust' rule, the more righteous they get and then they are duty-bound to break that rule and smuggle booze onboard. Handy rationale. Go for it and rise up against those unjust rules!!!.....Or just smuggle the booze on because you don't want to pay for it.

Except for it being brought up on this board for discussion, no one really cares, but please stop with the self-serving rationales.

Denny

In the Baltic on Constellation in 2006, we bought vodka in at least two ports, always tried to hand it over when we reboarded and was always told to keep it with us. It was bought for home in each case and we would have been perfectly happy for them to hold it for us.

Sue

You know, the more I think about it, the more annoyed I get about the cruise lines' policy on bringing aboard alcohol.

If I stay in a hotel that has a bar, I'm sure they'd prefer that I buy my liquor from their bar or room service. But they don't search my luggage and my person and confiscate my personal property in an effort to increase my spending. And don't try to tell me it's safety -- I could jump off a balcony in a hotel just as easily as on a ship!

AND -- the fact that they will allow wine but not spirits is inexplicable. I actually cannot drink wine at all because it causes severe migraines. So what, you obedient apologists for the inexcusable, could possibly be the rationale for that!

You will find your luggage has gone to the naughty room and you will need to go there, open the luggage and surrender the booze, also an iron if you take one. The majority of the cruise lines are enforcing the rules. There are options if you don't like the rules go somewhere else. Simple.:confused:

So stay in a hotel. Problem solved.

B.

Nice marketing ploy to get cruisers to purchase liquor from them.:rolleyes: And newbies might actually think this is true....until they try carrying it onboard their ship. :)

When a person purchases a cruise, they sign a cruise contract for that specific line. It is binding. If you sign it agreeing to the policies and rules of the crusie ship, then you are open to all consequences of your behavior. Seems simple enough.

Read the contract, and decide what, if any, sections you are willing to ignore. But then cruisers shouldn't freak when consequences hit them in the face. :rolleyes:

So stay in a hotel. Problem solved.

B.

Some people are so nasty with their opinions. Guess it's just their personalities. I don't even drink and I agree with many of you; you pay your price for the cruise; why do they have to nickle dime you on everything and tell you what you can and cannot bring to your cabin. Soon they will tell you; you can't bring things like dental floss; have to buy it for $3.99 in their shops.

Many prefer to have a drink in their cabins; they still buy drinks at the pool which they make a profit one. I can only see it getting worse; can see that on some of the larger newer ships; there's a cover charge to see the better shows in theatre.

Keep it up cruise lines and more ships will be empty; people will find other holidays like all inclusives to go to.

They kept upping the price of their cruise line excursions and where did that get them? 10 years ago; 80% of people booked the tours through cruise excursion desk; today; less than 40% do. They are very concerned that cruise after cruise; they don't reach their goal on excursions. I wonder why? They charge an arm and a leg and easy to book them yourself; get better tour for a lot less. I bring groups on cruises (not a TA) and cruise line personnel are always approaching me: can I encourage my people to take THEIR tours. NO!

Last time I was on a cruise; had breakfast with a very large travel agent; (I don't deal with them but they take about 250 people many times during the year; He said they had approached him also; offered him a unblieveable low percentage if he would quit booking his own tours for his group and therefore his people would have to take their tours; He asked for free internet in his suite; was refused; of course, he didn't agree to what they wanted; Why would he take a small commission from cruise lines and make his people pay loads more.

I love cruising but.... enough is enough!

Some people are so nasty with their opinions. Guess it's just their personalities. I don't even drink and I agree with many of you; you pay your price for the cruise; why do they have to nickle dime you on everything and tell you what you can and cannot bring to your cabin. Soon they will tell you; you can't bring things like dental floss; have to buy it for $3.99 in their shops.

Many prefer to have a drink in their cabins; they still buy drinks at the pool which they make a profit one. I can only see it getting worse; can see that on some of the larger newer ships; there's a cover charge to see the better shows in theatre.

Keep it up cruise lines and more ships will be empty; people will find other holidays like all inclusives to go to.

They kept upping the price of their cruise line excursions and where did that get them? 10 years ago; 80% of people booked the tours through cruise excursion desk; today; less than 40% do. They are very concerned that cruise after cruise; they don't reach their goal on excursions. I wonder why? They charge an arm and a leg and easy to book them yourself; get better tour for a lot less. I bring groups on cruises (not a TA) and cruise line personnel are always approaching me: can I encourage my people to take THEIR tours. NO!

Last time I was on a cruise; had breakfast with a very large travel agent; (I don't deal with them but they take about 250 people many times during the year; He said they had approached him also; offered him a unblieveable low percentage if he would quit booking his own tours for his group and therefore his people would have to take their tours; He asked for free internet in his suite; was refused; of course, he didn't agree to what they wanted; Why would he take a small commission from cruise lines and make his people pay loads more.

Why is that nasty? If you don't like the rules of the cruise line, do something else. You said the EXACT same thing in your post.

The cruise lines have no way of controlling what you do when you get off their ship, so controlling booking of independant excursions is not going to happen unless the cruise line incentivizes their passengers in another way to take cruise booked excursions.

On board is another deal entirely. Alcohol is an huge profit center for Cruise lines and the Cruise line can control what you drink on board. So as profitability moves away from onshore opportunities I would expect more and more control and probably higher prices in regards to on ship profitability. It is simple economics for a publically held company. You lose money somewhere, you have to make it up somewhere else.

B.

Thank you :rolleyes: for sharing your thoughts on cruiselines in general. Perhaps you will find an all inclusive or a luxury all inclusive cruise that will give you the "value" you are looking for on ships.

We travel very often. We have rented condos on Grace Bay in Providenciales, spent weeks at all-inclusives all over the Riviera Maya, booked stays in hotels in many cities etc. There are "faults", if you look hard enough, in all choices. Just have to go in knowing the product and what you will get for your time and money. Not complain after the fact. ;)

When a person purchases a cruise, they sign a cruise contract for that specific line. It is binding. If you sign it agreeing to the policies and rules of the crusie ship, then you are open to all consequences of your behavior. Seems simple enough.

Read the contract, and decide what, if any, sections you are willing to ignore. But then cruisers shouldn't freak when consequences hit them in the face. :rolleyes:

I think this is the gist of the problem. "Contract" implies bargaining terms. You don't get to bargain with the cruise lines; it's "take it or leave it." If you're OK with 99% of the deal, you're likely to take it. But the 1% you don't agree with you're likely to try to get around - particularly if you feel it's unreasonable. That's just human nature.

I'm normally a stickler for following rules but it does bother me that businesses can tack a laundry list of take-it-or-leave-it conditions on a normal transaction as to which I'm generally only able to negotiate or choose the basics and the rest are crammed down my throat.

Cruise lines do have a legitimate basis for maintaining control over the amount of alcohol consumed on board - but the policy against bringing your own doesn't seem to be oriented towards that.

I have never tried to smuggle wine into a restaurant that had its own liquor license, and I suspect most of you haven't either. To me it is the same thing. The cruise line makes money off of the alcohol so they restrict it from being brought onboard. It is just that simple.

Archived