What happens on your way home..

Just curious as to what everyone does on their way home. Whether we drive or fly, we have a bit of a ride to get home. It's late in the day and we haven't had anyone pampering us for several hours. There's nothing good in the frig because you cleaned it out before leaving so the food wouldn't spoil and smell. You are tired and can't be expected to go push a cart around in a grocery store. You don't have anything in the pantry and CERTAINLY you can't be expected to go from having a napkin placed on your lap to actually taking part in the food preparation...cold turkey, no less??? YOu head to the bedroom and...the bed hasn't been turned down, someone forgot to put a roll of tissue in the bathroom, you can't see the ocean from your window, no balcony, no ocean breeze. The following day is no better because you are faced with the sight of all the dirty smelly clothes that have been dumped into the laundry room and the dirty suitcases that have to be cleaned and put away. You have to drop the film or disc off at the drugstore, buy groceries, go pick up the mail at the post office or from the neighbor, pick up the dog at the doggie "spa." I just think it's too much to ask!!! Anyone have a solution or idea on what they do during the initial stage of return to be able to cope with the "hangover" day???

Well, after crying 1/2 way home, we decide what we start thinking for the first time what we have to do the week ahead.

We have one last good meal at Sam's Restaurant in

Fairfield, TX.

As we get close to home, we always stop at the local Braums store for milk.

When we get home and start bringing stuff in, we leave the largest suitcase in the laundry room, since it's filled with dirty clothes.

Talk about a bummer! We suffer "cruise withdrawal"

until we leave the house headed for another cruise!

Happy trip home to all, :)

Cruzin Lady

We fly to and from the cruise port since we live in PA. We have an "adult" beverage on the plane, talk to each other about how great the cruise was and start talking about our next cruise and what we want to see and do. The ONLY thing that helps with post-cruise depression is having the next cruise booked. I remember waiting in line to disembark our first "Freedom" cruise and just standing there crying because I didn't want to leave. Having the next cruise planned definitely helps. Life is short - cruise often!

Since I am the one who would have to plan, shop and cook, I convince DH that we should stop somewhere for dinner or lunch on the way home. I do start laundry as soon as we are in the house, although it isn't finished for a couple of days.

Then we just both chill for the rest of the day. And start reality the next day.

I always hate going to a restaurant right after we get off the cruise, and seeing prices on the menu!

Yes, my sentiments exactly! We've only been on one cruise so far, but I distinctly remember that feeling...on our trip home sitting in a restaurant and they hand us a menu - with prices! Ugh! :(

My sister and I dump our lugggage at home and take the kids out (if they didn't go with us!) If they did go with us we drop them at home and then take any left over money and go shopping. In the event we are broke we take the laptops and veg out at the local Starbucks!

I can't stand the thought of going to work the day after a cruise so I always take an extra day off. I usually don't eat a great deal because of being too lazy to fix anything. I mop around,jump on the computer and start planning another cruise:D

I download my pictures from my camera to my computer so I can relive the experience.

Then I sigh and drag the suitcase full of clothes down to the washing machine.

And with my luck, dinner that night is a footlong from Subway - although my son eats a lot of those while I'm gone, so maybe he'll be sick of them by then.

We always stopped at the puppy spa to pick up our two wiener dogs on the way home.

Their excitement when they see us makes up for any sadness that we are off the ship.

I noticed that you have 2 weiner dogs???? I have a 5 months old and she is my world to me. How well do these type of dogs cope with you being gone for a week???? We are usually gone 10 days when we go on a cruise and I am so worried now that I have my baby....... help me pleaseeeee i am not even gone but the thought of leaving her already makes me wanna cry

My weiner dog is a dapple her name is Tanzei

With the exception of getting home late at night we dump out the suitcases the moment we get home, sort and start the laundry ASAP. It's out of the way in a couple hours and everything else is put away, suitcases sprayed with Febreeze and put up the next day.

I have to agree with the posters who stay one more day and don't return to work the very next day after returning home. If you can extend your vacation just one more day and merge smoothly into the real world...it's so much nicer.

The last time we had a dog was 16 years ago, never again. No cats, dogs, fish, birds or even house plants in our home. We could be gone months if we could afford it. I'm never anxious to get back home with the exception of our own pillows and coffee.

If we need dinner on the first night at home we 1 - order pizza 2 - stop for Pollo Loco 3 - nuke something out of the freezer (usually chili or stew).

wish we had pollo loco up here in tennessee..... i was born and raised in california and we were priveleged to have them all the time!

ohhhhhhhhhh i miss the good things pollo loco.winchels donuts and jack in the box and lets not forget in and out burgers

yummmmmmmmmmm

I always try to get one last glimpse of the ships when the plane takes off and turns northwest, but seldom see them. Sigh. Wrong side of plane, or wrong direction, I guess. We always have a connection at another airport, and this brings real life come crashing down. By the time we land at home, rejoice if our luggage arrives, and then ride the shuttle to find our car, the cruise ship is almost leaving and we are back home, for sure. Oh well, time to plan another cruise! :)

Pick up puppies, swing by KFC (Keep From Cooking) to bring home, pick up mail, drop luggage in living room, perform the horrors of making our own drink, call kids to let them know we are home, turn on TV and chill for the next few hours. Go to bed, get up the next morning and start on the unpacking and laudry. Day after that - head back to work. That evening - search for next cruise.

Well, after sitting in the airport for a couple hours (we always try to leave ample time between disembarking the boat and our flight...you never know!), and hopefully taking off right away (unlike Sunday, when we sat on the tarmac at MIA for two hours), we crack a few jokes about how we should maybe just jog home to start working off our dinners, and then get take-out anyway :)

We're both teachers, so we only go in the summertime, and we always have time off before and after - like this year, we have one more week of freedom before going back to the smiling cherubs.

Pigeon Forge Princess and trainman-2

I have a mini-long haired doxie and he is my world too!!! His name is Diesel!!

Princess - We had our baby for 7 months when we went on our first trip without him. We left him with friends of ours. We babysit their poodle when they are gone and they watch Diesel when we are gone. He did absolutely fine! I was a little worried about him because he is extremely attached to me but he had his little friend to play with and they are as good to him as we are.

Archived