Dress Code on RCC

Hi, Im hoping to cruise next year, either the Caribbean or Alaska (we cant make up our mind) but I do have a problem.

Im hoping to have my son join us on the cruise, but he will be coming off

hair transplant surgery and is self conscious. Is there anywhere on a RCC that he can eat and still keep on a baseball cap or hat? I know it sounds like a silly question, but we are NOT "in your face" type of people, if he is asked to remove his hat he will politely leave the dining room, rather then be beligerent. Would hate for him to have to do Room Service the entire cruise.

Anyone know if RCC is strict about dress code in the MDR's? Of course formal nights he would choose the buffets.

Thanks in advance.

The buffet is casual....I don't think he will look too out of place wearing a hat there.

He may also want to just wear a bandana...if anyone gives him a dirty look, he can tell them he just had chemotherapy and lost a lot of his hair. That will shut them up.

Actually, bald is in these days. Even young kids are shaving their heads. As one who has lost most of his hair, I can say there's never been a better time to be bald. It's considered youthful and sexy these days. He might want to consider shaving his head for a few weeks to see how comfortable he is with that, before deciding to do the transpant. I've seen some really bad transplant jobs that look so much worse than shaved. I know it's a lot better these days, but still, it doesn't always work out. Shaving nearly always looks good.

He definitely can eat in the buffet (Windjammer). They are strict about the 'no caps/hats' rule in the MDR. I wonder if he spoke to the maitre-d, explaining the surgical issue, if he'd be granted an exception for "medical reasons", or is that stretching it a bit too far?

Maybe he could find some sort of hat that isn't a ball cap? Or, he could do like me (I've had hair transplant surgery) and find some humor in it. When people use to ask me if I'd had hair transplants I'd answer no, it's genetics, my father was the model for some of the old Ken dolls. The only problem today would be whether or not anyone remembers those old Ken dolls with the fake hair. ;)

RCI is pretty casual. If you explain that you son has had surgery to his scalp and it bothers him a little, my bet is RCI isn't going to care whether he wears a ball cap or any sort of head covering. The only ones the might care are the dress snobs you occasionally run into.

Best solution is to go natural and ignore the stares. Not easy to do, so the second best is a bandana as a bandana says "chemo" whereas a ball cap says "bad manners". People will ignore the bandana but the ball cap will gather many unapproval stares and comments.

My dad was bald and so is my son - bald is distinguished!

Hi, Im hoping to cruise next year, either the Caribbean or Alaska (we cant make up our mind) but I do have a problem.

Im hoping to have my son join us on the cruise, but he will be coming off

hair transplant surgery and is self conscious. Is there anywhere on a RCC that he can eat and still keep on a baseball cap or hat? I know it sounds like a silly question, but we are NOT "in your face" type of people, if he is asked to remove his hat he will politely leave the dining room, rather then be beligerent. Would hate for him to have to do Room Service the entire cruise.

Anyone know if RCC is strict about dress code in the MDR's? Of course formal nights he would choose the buffets.

Thanks in advance.

Even though I don't have any personal experience on the subject my guess is that your son would be allowed to wear a hat (if not baseball maybe a nicer kind) in the MDR considering the circumstances.

I would send an email/call to their Special Needs department (1-866-592-7225 or at special_needs@rccl.com), as well as talk to the Maitre D' and waiter as soon as boarding the ship.

With so many people today going through chemo who want to cover up, as well as people who wear hats etc for religious reasons, I cannot imagine anyone forcing them to remove it.

Since you haven't booked yet, why not push it back a bit, and give his hair transplants time to "look natural"....his doctor can tell him how long that's expected to take.

Few will be paying attention to him, anyway...when folks are on vacation, they tend to be quite introspective and ignore anything/one that doesn't directly affect them! You would almost have to yell, "DON'T LOOK AT MY HEAD" to get folks to notice!

Thanks much for all your advice.

To the one poster that recommended I push back the date, the reason he is scheduling his surgery on his vacation is to avoid having to try to wear a baseball cap in the office - he's white collar...couldnt see that one. (The week to 10 days cruising will be enough time to have swelling or obvious stitching go away.)

Personally I agree with the poster who advised him to just 'go for it' or shave his head,,but ...sigh, not his style.

Anyroad thanks very much for your advice, Ill talk it over with him and then Ill probably call RCCI as someone else suggested.

Happy Sailing.

If you mention to the staff he's had a surgical procedure, you'll have no problem whatsoever and they won't ask any questions about what type procedure. He'll be fine to enjoy the MDR. ONly small children would ask "can I see the scar".....(LOL). Obviously if he's in a dark suit, tie, etc., along with a cap, they'll realize he isn't trying to be disrectful to the dress code. It's the guy who comes in wearing the camo cargo shorts and a Hooter's T-Shirt on formal night that gets the stares. We had one of those on formal night, seated at a table just inside the MDR. I'm sure a surgical procedure wouldn't have cured his problems.

Just a quick suggestion...

I can relate to the desire to be low profile, avoid confrontation, would prefer it not ever come up, sort of thing.

I believe I'd buy a wig or hair piece that covered the region in question and wear that to the MDR, then ditch it when I left.

I'd either pick something that looked like I hoped to look, since they might take photos there a time or two, or else something much different colored than my real hair (say, red?), for a humorous twist on the vacation memories in the photos.

After all, if he wears a baseball cap on a formal night, even if the staff don't say anything to him, he'll know other patrons in the dining room will be 'stealing stares' at him, and I'd think that'd be more awkward and self-conscious than a hair transplant 'work in progress.'

Just a suggestion.

Richard.

You have gotten a lot of good feedback here, I hope this is helpful to you.

I would recommend a ball cap by day and a more formal hat for evenings in the dining room. A nice fedora or English gentlemen's cap might do the trick nicely and look nice with a suit on formal nights or daily wear to the dining room on non formal nights.

Just Google Mens Fedoras or Mens Hats.

The buffet is casual....I don't think he will look too out of place wearing a hat there.

He may also want to just wear a bandana...if anyone gives him a dirty look, he can tell them he just had chemotherapy and lost a lot of his hair. That will shut them up.

Actually, bald is in these days. Even young kids are shaving their heads. As one who has lost most of his hair, I can say there's never been a better time to be bald. It's considered youthful and sexy these days. He might want to consider shaving his head for a few weeks to see how comfortable he is with that, before deciding to do the transpant. I've seen some really bad transplant jobs that look so much worse than shaved. I know it's a lot better these days, but still, it doesn't always work out. Shaving nearly always looks good.

Oh how insensitve...Lets hope this situation never happens to you... or worse your young child!

DH has been reminded to remove his hat in the MDR at lunch/breakfast. (He's never forgotten at dinner.) I think if he wants/needs to wear his hat he'll need to eat at the WJ. Hats are fine there.

On Explorer in May A young couple (mid 20's) were on a table next to us in the MDR on "Formal Night" and they were both wearing NY Yankees basball caps and he was wearing a NY Yankees Baseball shirt. Both were in knee length shorts and trainers as well.

They didn't bother me and they were happily enjoying their meal and chatting and joking with the waiters.

On Explorer in May A young couple (mid 20's) were on a table next to us in the MDR on "Formal Night" and they were both wearing NY Yankees basball caps and he was wearing a NY Yankees Baseball shirt. Both were in knee length shorts and trainers as well.

They didn't bother me and they were happily enjoying their meal and chatting and joking with the waiters.

Most likely they didn't realize that wearing a baseball cap to dinner wasn't appropriate.

You have gotten a lot of good feedback here, I hope this is helpful to you.

I would recommend a ball cap by day and a more formal hat for evenings in the dining room. A nice fedora or English gentlemen's cap might do the trick nicely and look nice with a suit on formal nights or daily wear to the dining room on non formal nights.

Just Google Mens Fedoras or Mens Hats.

I agree with this poster - there are more "formal" hats that would possibly look better than a baseball cap in the MDR in the evening. Hopefully he won't encounter any dress code snobs like some of those on this forum. :rolleyes:

The point I was making is that whether appropriate or not no one stopped them because there is no particularly enforced "dress code" on RCI any more.

Sorry! I noted the fact that they were laughing and joking and missed your point.

I really do believe that people should not wear baseball caps to dinner. However, I am also of the opinion that noticing (or criticizing) what someone else is wearing is equally inappropriate.

Just so you know, if you choose to wear the hat or not, it will have absolutely no bearing on my enjoyment of the dining experience.

Don't be bullied into thinking that you need to eat at the buffet. The cost of a wonderful sit down dinner is included in the cost of your cruise just like mine.

However, I am also of the opinion that noticing (or criticizing) what someone else is wearing is equally inappropriate.

AGREED!! Not to mention, you are getting yourself all worked up and ruining your own vacation. Not worth it, IMHO. We always follow the dress code, but I really don't care what anyone else wears. It's not my business.

He had a surgical procedure to his head. In this case, a discreet head covering would be acceptable.

If a person is as self-conscience, as indicated, they probably would not go out in public to begin with...that includes on a cruise. Besides, this procedure is "elected". It is not a matter of "life or death" medical procedure. So, elect to complete the procedure AFTER the cruise.

Archived