Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

We have openly brought on more than one bottle of wine per person when boarding at San Pedro (3 times), Vancouver, Buenos Aires and Valparaiso but never a whole case. It has been posted recently that some ports including FLL have enforced the one bottle of wine rule while others on the same cruise have brought on a full case.

so i guess it is just a crap shoot basically

A few years ago when we did the Mexican Riviera cruise out of SFO we brought a case of champagne and beer. Bought a packing box at BevMO made for shipping champagne, wrapped it in shipping paper and placed the luggage tag on it. Just wrapped the case of beer in shipping paper and placed the luggage tag on it as well. Took them to the pier with our luggage, turned them over to the baggage handlers and they were placed in our room along with our luggage. No problem at all. No left over Champagne but gave the left over beer to the cabin steward and he was grinning from ear to ear.:D

Here is my secret, although it's not specific to Princess, just cruising. Pack your swimsuit in your carry on bag. That way you can get in the pool or hot tub right away and have it all to yourself while everyone else waits for their luggage to arrive. We did this on our last cruise and it was so fun to have the pool to ourselves. We were literally the only ones in it for about 2 hours! :D

Here is my secret, although it's not specific to Princess, just cruising. Pack your swimsuit in your carry on bag. That way you can get in the pool or hot tub right away and have it all to yourself while everyone else waits for their luggage to arrive. We did this on our last cruise and it was so fun to have the pool to ourselves. We were literally the only ones in it for about 2 hours! :D

We have been doing that for years and amazing how many folks say "why didnt I think of that" and you are correct it is the last time you can have the pool to your self unless you swim early in the am

Pete

We also have been doing that for over 40 years. We also put casual clothes in along with something to wear at night. That started back in the 70's when we got to Maui but our suitcases didn't - long pants and sweaters are not very comfortable on the beach.

We not only put them in our carry on but, since we fly in the day before (also something that everyone should do for every cruise for 2 reasons.

First, to be safely at the port the day the ship leaves and second, it makes your vacation REALLY start when you wake up already at the port . :) )

we put our bathing suits on under our clothes in the hotel so we can literally just drop the carry ons in the room and GO.

It's not much of a secret, really, but you can preorder liquor to be delivered to your room before you embark. You can also order liquor for your room while sailing. To preoreder, go to princess.com, then click on "Onboard Experience." Then click on "Gifts & Services" then on "Princess Cellars and Culinary Delights." Choose what you want, then order it online with your credit card or call the Princess tollfree number and order it by phone. The other day, we ordered a bottle of vodka and a bottle of rum to be delivered to our room. They were $17 each for a 750 ml bottle. Not horrible for namebrand liquor. You can use soda, Crystal Light powder, or lemonade from the buffet (available most of the time, or get some and store it in your fridge) for mixer ideas, or juice. I pack metal travel mugs, and this time I'll probably also pack a Britta personal water bottle with filter for better tasting water from the tap.

It's not much of a secret, really, but you can preorder liquor to be delivered to your room before you embark. You can also order liquor for your room while sailing. To preoreder, go to princess.com, then click on "Onboard Experience." Then click on "Gifts & Services" then on "Princess Cellars and Culinary Delights." Choose what you want, then order it online with your credit card or call the Princess tollfree number and order it by phone. The other day, we ordered a bottle of vodka and a bottle of rum to be delivered to our room. They were $17 each for a 750 ml bottle. Not horrible for namebrand liquor. You can use soda, Crystal Light powder, or lemonade from the buffet (available most of the time, or get some and store it in your fridge) for mixer ideas, or juice. I pack metal travel mugs, and this time I'll probably also pack a Britta personal water bottle with filter for better tasting water from the tap.

I think you will find that is 375 ml not 750.

So just confirming, you can actually purchase these bottles while sailing? Is this correct?

On the princess site it only really said that they were for embarkation gifts.. (I hope its not the case!)

So just confirming, you can actually purchase these bottles while sailing? Is this correct?

On the princess site it only really said that they were for embarkation gifts.. (I hope its not the case!)

They are 375ml not 750ml!

<<

Didn’t I read somewhere in all these tips that you can get a corkscrew and wine glasses for your room if you ask? I can bring my own corkscrew, but the glasses could be a problem. :rolleyes:

We were not able to get them to give us a corkscrew, but they sent someone to our room to open it for us (no charge). BTW, this is arranged through room service, not your steward. (I asked him, and he said to call room service.) They also brought wine glasses, and we got clean ones every day (without even asking!).

Also, my husband thought the peanut butter cookies at the International Cafe were the best "secret" on the ship! :)

Not Princess secrets, necessarily and a little bit snippy.

I happen to tip the Head Waiter very well, because I make sure I get to know the head waiter on the first night of the cruise, and they make sure I am taken care of very well.

My thoughts too. Not really secrets. Just complaints. Goodness - all Cruise Directors are snobs? Gosh I've met some very friendly ones over the years. I'm with you as well in regards to Head Waiters. I've cruised with some that were very attentive throughout the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Crown. They changed the coffee card. When you buy the card, they write down the ship and voyage number on the back. Regular coffee is only good on that voyage. You can keep the card for specialty coffees that get punched, until the punches run out

Just off the Crown. They changed the coffee card. When you buy the card, they write down the ship and voyage number on the back. Regular coffee is only good on that voyage. You can keep the card for specialty coffees that get punched, until the punches run out

This may have been answered already, do they let you use an existing coffee card (hopefully writing the current cruise on it) for brewed coffee?

Thanks.

Karen

This may have been answered already, do they let you use an existing coffee card (hopefully writing the current cruise on it) for brewed coffee?

Thanks.

Karen

I can't say if it's across the board but what they did to my friends old coffee card was tell her after first cup of coffee that they would start to punch it for reg coffee

She bought a new card and had specialty coffees with the punches she had left

I can't say if it's across the board but what they did to my friends old coffee card was tell her after first cup of coffee that they would start to punch it for reg coffee

She bought a new card and had specialty coffees with the punches she had left

Yes, that new policy is on all Princess ship now and was mentioned when we bought a specialty coffee card on our recent Emerald cruise.

Yes, that new policy is on all Princess ship now and was mentioned when we bought a specialty coffee card on our recent Emerald cruise.

Bob

Do you know if they did that with unused old cards?

We had the BOGO coupons last year so I now have 4 brand new unpunched cards which I was hoping to exchange for a new card on our next cruise.

Either way I'll find out, but I was just curious.

Bob

Do you know if they did that with unused old cards?

We had the BOGO coupons last year so I now have 4 brand new unpunched cards which I was hoping to exchange for a new card on our next cruise.

Either way I'll find out, but I was just curious.

If u scroll up 2 comments or so you'll see what theydid to our friends cards

On Emerald in November, they charged you a punch

for brewed coffee with an old card. So you could

get speciality or brewed -- same price -- one punch.

I am considering bringing my single cup brewer - I didn't find that the brewed was all that good on our TA in the spring and I would hate to use up a punch for it. I like the idea of having a cuppa before I get going in the morning and while it seems I am a bit of addict - not true ;) but I do like my coffee in the morning. It seems counterproductive to have to get dressed before I can have my morning coffee. If possible I will get some speciality coffee to use up the card for my 14 days. (yes I know I can get room service but I don't always know what my morning is going to be like and what time I want my coffee)

Karen

I am considering bringing my single cup brewer - I didn't find that the brewed was all that good on our TA in the spring and I would hate to use up a punch for it. I like the idea of having a cuppa before I get going in the morning and while it seems I am a bit of addict - not true ;) but I do like my coffee in the morning. It seems counterproductive to have to get dressed before I can have my morning coffee. If possible I will get some speciality coffee to use up the card for my 14 days. (yes I know I can get room service but I don't always know what my morning is going to be like and what time I want my coffee)

Karen

I had a friend have her single cup brewer confiscated....no electrical appliances allowed.

Karen

I had a friend have her single cup brewer confiscated....no electrical appliances allowed.

If it doesn't have a warming plate it should be ok. I know someone who brings a single cup brewer on all of her many cruises.

They are mainly worried you will leave it on and start a fire so if it just brews and then turns off it should be ok.

Archived