Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

You can ask your room steward to leave clean wine glasses in your room everyday (to drink water out of....who would ever bring wine onboard:D) In the MDR, you also typically get the small standard wine glass at the table, but you can ask for the nicer, taller stemmed wine glasses as well. Got told no once and said, "we had them at the Chef's Table", waiter disappeared and brought them to us. As for the Chef's Table, not well advertised and what is does not do it justice. Well worth the cost.

Tim

Keep in mind that Princess allows each person to bring a bottle of champagne so getting glasses isn't suspect since you keep it in your room fridge.

On our Emerald Princess cruise a couple of years ago there was dinner with the executive chef which was a new program they were starting. At that time you could only register once you boarded the ship and it was extremely limited (8 people and only done twice on our 10 day cruise). There's an extra charge, but you visit the galley during dinner rush, have French champagne with hors d'oeuvres (fois gras, escargot, caviar) in the galley, then we were seated at a special table with the executive chef and maitre'd in the dining room. Candles, centerpiece of flowers, special menu with free flowing wine selected for each course... After dinner we were presented with a group photo, and a Princess cookbook signed by the executive chef. Cost then was $75 per person, but it was worth every penny. We had full attention of the wait staff and the production certainly drew the attention of all the other passengers in the dining room. Food and wine was fabulous.

This is the Chef's Table and it's still $75/pp and just as fabulous.

I can't believe that out of 274 replies to the OPs post that nobody has said anything about hallway carpet.

When you get off of the elevator to go to your room and aren't sure whether to turn left or right, look at the carpet in the halls. On one side of the ship on every passenger deck the hallways have blue carpeting. The other side has blue carpeting as well but there is some red in that side. I can't remember if the red is on the port or starboard side but it sure makes knowing which way to go much easier.

On every Princess cruise we go on, we see people exiting the elevators with no idea whether to go left or right. I point out the carpet difference and they always seem very grateful.

Can anyone tell me any tips and/or secrets about Princess That they don't tell you? i.e..secret doors, freebies, etc? Thanks:rolleyes:

If you go to a computer station in the Future Cruise booking area or Internet Cafe, click on the on screen icon to send a free e-postcard. There is no fee and it's an easy way to let the folks at home know where you are and how you're doing. There is a 300 character limit but you could send more than one message to the same email address if you need to get a longer message out. I used it on the Emerald in May and it worked great.

If you go to a computer station in the Future Cruise booking area or Internet Cafe, click on the on screen icon to send a free e-postcard. There is no fee and it's an easy way to let the folks at home know where you are and how you're doing. There is a 300 character limit but you could send more than one message to the same email address if you need to get a longer message out. I used it on the Emerald in May and it worked great.

You can also surf princess.com at no charge in the internet cafe or on your laptop using the WiFi.

I do find all the extra stuff on a signature interesting, but once is enough. :rolleyes: I would love to know how to remove those and add more to each page!

Utter Caro did a quick down and dirty for how to improve your browsing time, but I have just posted a new complete thread on this which is REEEEELY detailed because experience has taught me (my own learning curve included) that computer novices and newbies to the site simply have a lot of trouble figuring Cruise Critic out at first.

The key, of course, is to go to your User CP Screen and click on Edit Options and just look around what you can do.

Last time we cruised, the escargot in the dining room was not on the menu and one only learned of it the night it was offered if the waiter mentioned it. Next time I'm asking a head waiter on the first day of our cruise when it will be offered. Not willing to take a chance of missing it...a cruise without escargot is just a boat ride.

FYI, escargot was on the "everyday" side of the dinner menu and I had it every night on my recent Celebrity Eclipse 14 night Baltic cruise. Great beginnings to 14 marvelous dinners.

I didn't know this and it could be a cool feature. HOWEVER, people should remember that nothing is free and the email addresses you send cards to are no doubt then targeted for some future marketing purpose. This is what happens with those wonderful "free" Blue Mountain" greeting cards which are so popular. After actually opening a few, I noticed my inbox just got completely inudated with sales stuff. I don't open them any more, which makes some people mad, but I just tell 'em why.

This is not a "Secret" and is very obvious to most of us, but when using your own PC onboard and checking your email, never read individual messages while you're online using up your minutes. Download everything by clicking 'Send and Receive' and then read it off line. Compose ALL your outgoing messages in Word, WordPad, etc before you go back online, and then cut and paste them into an email. Also, make sure all your email buddies know NOT to send you emails with elaborate attachments (i.e. all those "forwards") while you're on the ship as downloading them really scarfs up the minutes.

This doesn't work if you're in the Internet Cafe using their computers of course, as once you log off, you're off.

You will have many filipinos serving you on your cruise - the cooks, cabin stewards, DR waiters etc. There is nothing they like better than when someone orders one of their traditional meals.

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.:) I love chicken adobo, pancit, and lumpia. And I'd love to order some on board, so some of the staff could enjoy the extras. Do I do this in the main dining room? On the restaurant reservations phone number? On the room service phone number?

And do I understand correctly - I order extra portions in advance, but on the actual "day of" I just request enough for me? How do I make sure they do not bring me ALL the portions originally ordered?

Secret ~ at lunch time check out the menu by the dining rooms, they will tell you what is being served for dinner. If you don't like what you see, go to the Horizon Court, the food is almost identical to what is being served in the dining room, except you don't have to spend three hours waiting and eating.....

FYI, escargot was on the "everyday" side of the dinner menu and I had it every night on my recent Celebrity Eclipse 14 night Baltic cruise. Great beginnings to 14 marvelous dinners.

Perhaps it was a cost reduction, but escargot is not on the everyday side on the dinner menu on my current cruise on Royal Princess. I did ask for it and received an order the next day, but the Head Waiter made a "big deal" out of the fact that I ordered it. It was excellent as always.

User CP > Edit Options > scroll down to Thread Display Options > uncheck Show Signatures (you can also turn off avatars and images if you uncheck those buttons) > scroll down to bottom and click Save Changes button.

Caro

YAY!!! It worked!!

FYI, escargot was on the "everyday" side of the dinner menu and I had it every night on my recent Celebrity Eclipse 14 night Baltic cruise.

escargot is not on the everyday side on the dinner menu on my current cruise on Royal Princess.

You need to cruise Celebrity to see it in the everyday side of the menu.

Utter Caro did a quick down and dirty for how to improve your browsing time, but I have just posted a new complete thread on this which is REEEEELY detailed because experience has taught me (my own learning curve included) that computer novices and newbies to the site simply have a lot of trouble figuring Cruise Critic out at first.

The key, of course, is to go to your User CP Screen and click on Edit Options and just look around what you can do.

Where did you post it?:o

Thanks for the wonderful suggestion.:) I love chicken adobo, pancit, and lumpia. And I'd love to order some on board, so some of the staff could enjoy the extras. Do I do this in the main dining room? On the restaurant reservations phone number? On the room service phone number?

And do I understand correctly - I order extra portions in advance, but on the actual "day of" I just request enough for me? How do I make sure they do not bring me ALL the portions originally ordered?

The way it worked on the Coral Princess last year, I ordered the speciality dish during dinner in the MDR to be served the next night, or maybe the night after that. This should be done with your head waiter. Then when I arrived, I told the head waiter to let the chef know I was being seated so they'd know where to serve the dish. Yes they brought it all tableside, just serving me as much as I wanted, with the rest held in reserve. Mind you, it was not MY idea to order 3 or 4 portions;).

Where did you post it?:o

My detailed thread is under Princess Cruises - not a specific ship or voyage. You can click on "Princess Cruises" under the Cruise Critic logo above. Then my thread should be toward the top of the list of threads. It's called "How to Speed up your Cruise Critic Browising". Shee, some people get testy when you tell others how to eliminate their signatures because then you won't be able to see all those past cruises they've been on every time they post.:rolleyes:

One of my favorite Princess things are the chocolate croissants at the International Cafe on Plaza Deck in the morning -- early is best because they are still warm -- they make them fresh each morning and are to die for. My last two Princess cruises were on ships without this IC (Grand not yet updated with it and Ocean -- small ships don't have room for it) and I really missed those croissants.

Another great place on all the bigger ships is Skywalkers Lounge in the afternoon -- such great views and quiet because bar isn't open -- great place to read....

Elite Member -- 29 cruises with Princess

I can't believe that out of 274 replies to the OPs post that nobody has said anything about hallway carpet.

When you get off of the elevator to go to your room and aren't sure whether to turn left or right, look at the carpet in the halls. On one side of the ship on every passenger deck the hallways have blue carpeting. The other side has blue carpeting as well but there is some red in that side. I can't remember if the red is on the port or starboard side but it sure makes knowing which way to go much easier.

On every Princess cruise we go on, we see people exiting the elevators with no idea whether to go left or right. I point out the carpet difference and they always seem very grateful.

I had to read through 14 pages to finally find this tip...which I was going to post! This is really helpful because you can never remember which direction the elevator is facing and now we just look for the color and only have to decide left or right into the corridor.

Another good tip, which we always use is:

Bring along some cheap magnets (you can get them in craft shops--or have a purpose in bringing home souvenirs). The walls have metal in them and you can "hang up" all those pesky papers you get every day in your cabin!

Hi all. On the Ocean Princess you can have almost anything you want just by asking, without extra charge. Order any special dish 24 hours in advance. The free icecream is on in the afternoon. Extra wine glasses etc for entertaining in one's room together with mini-sandwiches and nibbles. You want blankets intead of the duvet - no problem. I think the service is amazing, and the crew so obliging.

Hmmm... There are lots of things to do on the ship, lots of freebies if you hunt for them. There is the initial send off Scavenger Hunt and you find all the spots they want you to go, enter your card in the chance to win prizes. Go to the many poolside events and you have a chance to win Champagne. Art Showings and Auctions have a glass of free bubbly. Enter all the fun contests and competitions for chances to win free bubbly, travel bags, hats, playing cards, Luggage tags, t-shirts, mugs, etc..We always win something on the cruises! :) I am Celiac and they bent over backwards to make sure I could eat what I wanted! I saw the next days menu and it was adapted so I had gravy, pasta, etc and it was all gluten free! They will do almost anything for you. I love Crab legs as does my son. they brought us an extra serving. And we laughingly teased the waiter how he managed an extra portion and he said he sent the junior bus boy overboard to catch it for us. Now no one else could have extra because they didnt get him back on the ship, it was going to fast. LOL :D Have a great holiday!

Upcoming Voyages - Western Carribean (family Reunion cruise) - Nov 2011

Eastern Carribean (Anniversary Cruise) -April 2011

Western Carribean - Grand Princess -April 2010

Alaska - Golden Princess - Sept 2009

Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Nov 2008

Mexican Riviera - Golden - Sept 2007

Red=port=left

Green=starboard=right

Easy way to remember is that the shorter words all go together. Yes the starboard carpet is more blue than green but the rule still applies. Same pattern goes for aircraft and ship running lights. That way you know if the craft is facing you or not.

Archived