Princess Secrets they Don't Tell You

philsfun

OK then let's include this in little known "secrets". While I doubt that you could order anything that's being served in the main DR for breakfast delivery to your room, even the lowliest of inside cabin dwellers:D can order more than a continental breakfast. I've asked for scrambled eggs, bacon, lox & bagels etc.

You do have to hang your order on your door the night before. Just WRITE the items you want on the form and how many orders of each you want. While I think dining al fresco on the balcony is a treat, we rarely take advantage of this because DH prefers to go to the DR and be properly served:rolleyes:.

Thanks for sharing this tip & will do it on our next cruise.

At the International Cafe on the Ruby Princess in Europe last year they had Gelato, three scoops for $1.50. One serving was enough for my wife and I to share and it was WONDERFUL. Well worth the price. Everything else at the cafe except coffee was free and it was great place to have a salad or sandwich after returning from a tour.

I noticed that sour cream herring was frequently available at the Lido restaurant, but not on the menu at the main restaurant. One day I asked whether they would be serving it at the main restaurant and the head waiter said he would get me some. l told him I did not want a special order, just wanted to know whether it would be on the menu later in the week. The next thing I knew, a plate full of Roll Mops appeared on the table.

A friend just completed a Princess cruise and told me that they have a special meal each evening that does not appear on the menu. We have taken many cruise with Princess and I never heard this before.

We had taken over 30 cruises before a fellow passenger told me that onboard credit was available to stock holders. The first thing I did when we returned home was to buy 100 Shares of Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Now each time we cruise we get an 8% or 20% dividend.

If you make a deposit of $100 toward your next cruise with Princess while you are onboard, you will get $100 of onboard credit on the next cruise with them. You will also be able to reserve the cruise with only the $100 you already put on deposit. You don't have to reserve a cruise while you are onboard, just make the deposit. If you don't take another cruise for four years, you get you money back.

OK then let's include this in little known "secrets". While I doubt that you could order anything that's being served in the main DR for breakfast delivery to your room, even the lowliest of inside cabin dwellers:D can order more than a continental breakfast. I've asked for scrambled eggs, bacon, lox & bagels etc.

You do have to hang your order on your door the night before. Just WRITE the items you want on the form and how many orders of each you want. While I think dining al fresco on the balcony is a treat, we rarely take advantage of this because DH prefers to go to the DR and be properly served:rolleyes:.

WOW!! I did not know this either! Sometimes I would write in Mango, but that's it. I will surely take advantage of this. We hardly ever get to breakfast but always hang our menue out the nite before. Thanks!

I don't mean to open Pandora's Box here, but I'm just curious... If this is true, how is the waiter or room attendant to know if the auto tips were removed or reduced and by what percentage? Take a waiter as an example - if he gets 5 envelopes at one dinner seating, how is he to remember which envelope went with which guest and then be counted on at the risk of losing his job to hand over the correct amount? This just doesn't make sense to me.

As stated he must write the cabin number on the envelope.

They all have access to a list of passengers that have removed or reduced the auto-tip.

I was on the Caribbean Princess Sept 11th.

Fettucini Alfredo was served in a crispy Parmesean bowl at dinner...it is an always available dinner item.

Waffles were served at soft serve ice cream counter not pizza.

I wish my egg crates looked like the cushy ones pictured by Colo cruiser. Actually much thinner. I brought a memory foam to add to the egg crate.

I always take a coin purse full of quarters for laundry. I've overheard too many people complain they couldn't get quarters from the purser's desk. I also put dry detergent in snack size zip bags (one scoop per bag) for the laundry. I've also used the Purex 3-in-1 sheets.

Also, if you have special dietary needs and indicate this when you fill out your cruise personalizer, the maiter'd will come each night and go over the next nights menu and pre-order for you. If nothing on the menu will work for your medical problems, he will suggest an alternative and it will be ready the next night.

NMI

Thanks for the great tips CC members. From -- OJ, volcano deserts, top sheets, additional electrical outlets, tipping, escargot, roll of quarters for laundry, future cruise credits, pre-cruise wine ideas, pre-cruise hotels, bedding, etc… the list is truly amazing. Like others, I made a copy of this list (Word file) for future reference.

Zip Loc plastic bags.

Remember to take zip loc bags on your cruise because there good for many things. Throw them in your luggage. They hardly take-up any room. Take different sizes to accommodate different situations.

Example: I kept messing up travel toiletry bags, because bottles of sunscreen or saline solution would explode and coat the inside with goo. Now I use zip loc bags when I travel. Not very elegant, but they do the job, and if something spills, I can just get a new bag instead of trying to scrub toothpaste off the interior of a proper toiletry bag.

Anything that scatters needs a zip loc bag. Q-Tips …anything.

Store laundry detergent packs. Yes, some people use the laundry facilities on Princess.

Well, here’s a little tip on the last night of the cruise -- late in the evening head up to the Horizon Court (or the International Café) for some pre-travel treats. Cookies are always available. We put a couple cookies in our zip loc bag(s) for our travel home the next day. They come in handy while waiting in the airport with your favorite beverage or on the airplane.

John

If you make a deposit of $100 toward your next cruise with Princess while you are onboard, you will get $100 of onboard credit on the next cruise with them. You will also be able to reserve the cruise with only the $100 you already put on deposit. You don't have to reserve a cruise while you are onboard, just make the deposit. If you don't take another cruise for four years, you get you money back.

actually, from $25 to $150, depending on cabin being inside or outside and the length of the cruise.

As far as crab legs go, they are served in the main dining room generally one night during a 7 day cruise. Not sure on longer cruises.

If you want them more, ask the Maitre'D the night before.. We missed the crab legs on our last cruise, and were able to have them on another night.

Lobster? Well, pieces of caribbean lobster tail are served one night a week in the main dining room during a 7 day cruise. I believe maine lobster is available in the crown grill for a surcharge.

I don't mean to open Pandora's Box here, but I'm just curious... If this is true, how is the waiter or room attendant to know if the auto tips were removed or reduced and by what percentage? Take a waiter as an example - if he gets 5 envelopes at one dinner seating, how is he to remember which envelope went with which guest and then be counted on at the risk of losing his job to hand over the correct amount? This just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know if they're informed about reduced percentages but all crew members know before the end of the cruise which people (identified by cabin number, name, table number if TD, etc) have removed their auto tips.

I have a question about the extra outlets uner the TV - are they 3 prong as I need a 3 prong outlet to charge my netbook? or are there any 3 prong outlets in the cabins. We are on the CB princess next week. If not, I will have to buy a converter plug from 3 prong to 2 prong.

Thanks,

I have a question about the extra outlets uner the TV - are they 3 prong as I need a 3 prong outlet to charge my netbook? or are there any 3 prong outlets in the cabins. We are on the CB princess next week. If not, I will have to buy a converter plug from 3 prong to 2 prong.

Thanks,

Thanks,

The receptacles by the desk are three prong. I would suggest that you invest in a small 4 outlet power strip as there are only two outlets by the desk. There is an unused three prong receptacle behind the TV also which we usually use for a nightlight.

At the International Cafe on the Ruby Princess in Europe last year they had Gelato, three scoops for $1.50. One serving was enough for my wife and I to share and it was WONDERFUL. Well worth the price. Everything else at the cafe except coffee was free and it was great place to have a salad or sandwich after returning from a tour.

I noticed that sour cream herring was frequently available at the Lido restaurant, but not on the menu at the main restaurant. One day I asked whether they would be serving it at the main restaurant and the head waiter said he would get me some. l told him I did not want a special order, just wanted to know whether it would be on the menu later in the week. The next thing I knew, a plate full of Roll Mops appeared on the table.

A friend just completed a Princess cruise and told me that they have a special meal each evening that does not appear on the menu. We have taken many cruise with Princess and I never heard this before.

We had taken over 30 cruises before a fellow passenger told me that onboard credit was available to stock holders. The first thing I did when we returned home was to buy 100 Shares of Carnival and Royal Caribbean.

Now each time we cruise we get an 8% or 20% dividend.

Hi there!Another little trick is once you have actually booked your cruise utilizing the above method,you can visit insuremytrip and purchase an insurance policy immediately which can cover prexistiong conditions and also include "cancel for any reason benefits".As long as this is done usually within 7 - 14 days from booking date/$200 deposit,you only have to insure the $200!This way it cost you pennies until you decide your definitely going.Then you simply add the proper dollar amount of the vacation to the initial policy.This is great because if you definitely go,you get to keep your early policy purchase extra benefits.If for some reason you ultimately change your mind,your only out the few dollars that were spent to get the policy.Its a win win!!Safe cruising!:cool:

...I need a 3 prong outlet to charge my netbook?

All outlets are of the standars American 3-prong type.

If this is the ONLY electronic item you will be taking, no problem. If you have three or more, pack a power strip.

Are there any Square pin UK type outlets or even 2 pin european ones?

Sandy

The only "non" standard American outlet is in the bathroom. It's a combo 110/220 v. outlet but designed for low amp devices like razors and the like. I'd bring the adapters.

Hi everyone. I've been on 14 Princess cruises and just booked the Ruby for February, so I'm sooo looking forward to reaching elite status after this next cruise. I haven't read this whole thread, so I apologize if I end up repeating something that has already been mentioned.

The very first thing I do when I get on the ship is try to meet my cabin stewart and make quick friends. This person is going to be taking care of you the whole trip, and first impressions are important. I make sure that we have robes, extra hangers, an ashtray for the balcony if anyone smokes, wine glasses, etc. Usually if this whole first encounter goes well, we have made a friend for the whole trip and they are very accomodating.

I tip in cash, not huge - but something.

Numerous times, I have done "write ins" on the breakfast card that is put on the door at night. We have always gotten whatever we requested as long as it's available. I like eggs benedict, and got it in my room when it was being served in the main dining room that day. We have also had success with having dining room choices delivered to our cabin, no additional charge - like the person with the lobster story. I have paid for the "ultimate balcony dinner" and it really is worth it, as well as the "chef's table".

My main tip is that it's all about "going early". If you can get on the ship right when embarkation starts, it really helps. We did the Chef's table on our last cruise and we called to get on the list the MINUTE we got on the ship, and we got in on it. Same thing for booking SPA appointments for the week, etc. If you want to schedule a massage or treatment, go to the SPA early on day one to schedule it. They fill up fast...

I think they don't advertise the "chef's table" much because it's only like 10-12 people, and they just can't accomodate everyone. If you are lucky enough to get in on it, it is so well worth it.

We have had get togethers in our cabin in the past, and if we have a good cabin stewart, they have always been so helpful. I have gotten them to provide a dozen wine glasses, fruit (strawberries, etc.) - things you can get at the buffet, and then paid for a cheese/cracker tray, shrimp, etc. to have a really nice party. If you tell them about it in advance, I've never had a problem...

I guess the bottom line to my secrets on Princess, is don't be afraid to ask. If something can't be done, they will tell you...

Joyce

Thanks Joyce! Some of those things have been mentioned but most haven't included as much detail. And it's always good to be reminded of the most important tips.

Quick question about the "ashtray for the balcony" - I read somewhere here (on another thread) that you can smoke inside the staterooms on Princess, and the staterooms are not among the prohibited areas listed on the Princess site. But on that other thread, someone else said that whether you can smoke inside your cabin depends on which ship you're on. I'm a smoker with a cruise coming up - and no balcony. I didn't smoke in the room on my prior two cruises because I shared it, but this time I'm going solo, and thinking that I might like an occasional smoke while I'm sipping wine and getting ready for the evening. (I don't normally like to smoke indoors because the smell gets on everything, but whatever, it's vacation.) Can I do this? I'll be on the CB if that makes a difference.

(While I'm thinking of it, does anyone know why the Caribbean Princess is abbreviated "CB" around here? Shouldn't it be "CP"?)

Joyce,

I don't know about the smoking but we are going on the CB this week. I also wondered why it is abreviated CB!

I think it's because they abb. The Crown Princess with CP, not 100% on that but want to think I've read that on here someplace.

Thanks Joyce! Some of those things have been mentioned but most haven't included as much detail. And it's always good to be reminded of the most important tips.

Quick question about the "ashtray for the balcony" - I read somewhere here (on another thread) that you can smoke inside the staterooms on Princess, and the staterooms are not among the prohibited areas listed on the Princess site. But on that other thread, someone else said that whether you can smoke inside your cabin depends on which ship you're on. I'm a smoker with a cruise coming up - and no balcony. I didn't smoke in the room on my prior two cruises because I shared it, but this time I'm going solo, and thinking that I might like an occasional smoke while I'm sipping wine and getting ready for the evening. (I don't normally like to smoke indoors because the smell gets on everything, but whatever, it's vacation.) Can I do this? I'll be on the CB if that makes a difference.

(While I'm thinking of it, does anyone know why the Caribbean Princess is abbreviated "CB" around here? Shouldn't it be "CP"?)

Yes, you can smoke in your cabin on all Princess ships.

Archived