Kids go to sleep...what do the adults do?

ellp

Hi all,

Dh and I will be doing our first cruise together with the kids (ages 3 and 6) next May. (Alaska, 7 night). I've been on a cruise before but Dh has never been.

My question is... Our kids go to bed at a reasonable hour (8:30pm or so) but that is way to early for Dh and I go to sleep. So what do parents do when the kids go to sleep? I'm assuming that at least one of the parents stays in with the kids. How do you keep yourself occupied in a very small room if you have to keep it dim/dark and quiet? Is there a light you can turn on in the room that would allow for some reading?

Would anyone ever leave the kids in the room by themselves? At what age would you?

Would anyone ever leave the kids in the room by themselves? At what age would you?

No. At your children's ages, it's not even a consideration. Perhaps around the age of 10-12 I might consider it for a short time, but you have tiny children. Accidents can happen, and how would you ever find out about it?

My question is... Our kids go to bed at a reasonable hour (8:30pm or so) but that is way to early for Dh and I go to sleep. So what do parents do when the kids go to sleep? I'm assuming that at least one of the parents stays in with the kids. How do you keep yourself occupied in a very small room if you have to keep it dim/dark and quiet? Is there a light you can turn on in the room that would allow for some reading?

Which cruiseline are you travelling on? You need to find out there kids club and babysitting details. Carnival doesn't have in-room babysitting, but they do have it available for ages 3+ from dinnertime onward (there is a charge from 10pm - 3am). They have playtime, and then later on, they arrange a "sleepover" with mats and blankets in front of a kids movie. We would pick our kids up when we were coming back to our room, and were secure in knowing they were safe and being well cared for. This has worked very well for our 5 year old and also with our infant (who'd go for the after 10 sessions).

RCI has in room babysitting, as do many of the other lines. Check this out now - often these services have to be booked as soon as you get on the ship.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is that you are all on holiday. There's no rule that says you have to keep to normal bedtime hours. Our wee ones reguarly go to bed at 10pm or later on a cruise. We sleep later into the morning (no getting up at 6am when I'm on holiday!!) as we tend not to do a lot of early morning excursions. Then, later in the day (around 5-6pm) we have a nap - all of us. Get the kids something to eat first (usually we ordered room service), then have a good rest for a few hours. We've got a portable dvd player that is helpful for this - if the kids don't feel like napping yet, they can choose a quiet movie or activity, but usually as soon as the lighs are dimmed and they see Mummy and Daddy getting ready for a nap, they get sleepy too.

We always choose the late dining option for this reason. We wake up, get ready, and go for dinner. Then the kids would go to the kids' club and my husband and I would have a few hours of grownup time.

Just be flexible, and see how things flow with your kids. But don't spend the whole time stuck in your cabin because your kids are in bed at 8pm... think outside the box and find other safe options so you can all have a good break.

Good luck

Hi all,

Dh and I will be doing our first cruise together with the kids (ages 3 and 6) next May. (Alaska, 7 night). I've been on a cruise before but Dh has never been.

I agree with the response from Seraphine.

Just want to add that there is usually a reading light on the bedside table so you can read. Or if you have a room with a balcony at least you can go there to talk with your husband without having to be quiet, and order room service or one of you can go get some snacks/drinks.

We also change a bit the time our toddler goes to bed on vacation and make it 9 or 10 instead of 8. By then we are also usually really tired so it isn't an issue for us to stay in the room and take it easy.

We didn't use in room babysitting but will consider it for a future cruise. Of course you have to check if it's available on the line you are sailing.

As for leaving them alone, I wouldn't do it at this age either.

If Alaska, may be the one compelling reason to get a Balcony and hang out there, but again its May it likely pretty cold if not also wet.

A lot depends on your kids sleep habits. I know 3 years old, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving alone, but when our 6 year old cruised she was a veteran of several cruises and by then we'd let her do a few things on her own including sleeping, YMMV.

When our first two were this young we'd just be like babies and go to bed early too, made for a great and refershing vacation. It was when they got older we planned vacations where we'd not let more events enter the evening.

Hi all,

Hi all,

Yes. I feel comfortable now that my youngest is 12. My kids were older when they started to cruise so we utilized the kids program. We did resorts when they were younger and took them with us with us back and forth. It was so much work that we were ready to call it a day before they were:D Carnival is great with younger kids even offering a slumber party ($6 per hr) until 3am. Preparing to change the routine a bit and be know this won't be the relaxing vacation others post about but it will still be memorable.

BTW, the whole idea of being in a smalll cabin with a young child is the main reason we put off cruising until they were older.

I agree with everyone. You might also keep in mind that there is likely a time difference between where you live and Alaska. That will make a difference for all of you in when you feel like eating and sleeping.

We also prefer late dining so there is time for a nap or quiet time after a day of activities then everyone is rested for dinner. This also meant we could all go to see the late show. Our son always loved the lights, music, etc. of the stage shows even when he was little. As he got up to 10, 11, he was more likely to go to the kids club activities. Now he is 16 and would rather go to the shows (if he goes) with his new friends.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.:)

There won't be any time difference for us as we live in Vancouver and we're taking the Celebrity Millie out of Vancouver. We do have a veranda stateroom, is that the same as "Balcony"? It was Dh's idea to get that since he's never been on a cruise before. I agree that we probably won't be spending too much time out there, because of the temperature and the potential for wet weather.

I'm fairly keen on having the kids maintain their bedtime routine as it allows Dh and I to have a couple of hours of downtime while still maintaining a decent bedtime. We will probably play it by ear though.

Dh is also pretty hesitant about putting the kids in the kids programs. Its fine if a parent is with them but he's a big Papa Bear when it comes to leaving the kids in the hands of strangers. The grandparents on both sides will also be with us so I we can all take turns looking after the kids.

Its good to know the age range that people are ok with leaving their kids alone. Personally I wouldn't even consider it and probably wouldn't until the kids are in their teens. The thought of that poor little 4yo girl who was kidnapped from her hotel room in Portugal (?) a few years ago haunts me.

Its good to know the age range that people are ok with leaving their kids alone. Personally I wouldn't even consider it and probably wouldn't until the kids are in their teens. The thought of that poor little 4yo girl who was kidnapped from her hotel room in Portugal (?) a few years ago haunts me.

Keep in mind there are lots more that can go wrong w/o a stranger being involved. If any child is left alone, there could be a wave that send them sailing through the cabin. Since we are on water, this is more likely that any attack from a stranger. If you leave them in the childcare it's going to be with people whose back ground you personally know very little about. This has always been a concern of mine. I only used the childcare when my kids were able to speak clearly. They are still required to know basic phrases if we use a child care on land vacation where the primary language is not English.

Yes, I am one of those parent who worry more about people I know and trust hurting kids than stranger. A stranger will pose a threat to your child on a daily basis, someone you know or trust by the hour.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.:)

There won't be any time difference for us as we live in Vancouver and we're taking the Celebrity Millie out of Vancouver. We do have a veranda stateroom, is that the same as "Balcony"? It was Dh's idea to get that since he's never been on a cruise before. I agree that we probably won't be spending too much time out there, because of the temperature and the potential for wet weather.

I'm fairly keen on having the kids maintain their bedtime routine as it allows Dh and I to have a couple of hours of downtime while still maintaining a decent bedtime. We will probably play it by ear though.

Dh is also pretty hesitant about putting the kids in the kids programs. Its fine if a parent is with them but he's a big Papa Bear when it comes to leaving the kids in the hands of strangers. The grandparents on both sides will also be with us so I we can all take turns looking after the kids.

Have him go to the mtg they have the first day of the cruise. This way he can hear all about the security measures they take to keep the kids safe. :) DD has always loved going to the kids center to play with the other kids.

I would never leave my DD alone at that age in a cabin. What we always did was tag-team it. DD is a night owl and can easily stay up late w/o any dire consequences the next day. She has always been that way. I'm also not a strict bedtime person on vacation either. When DD would fall asleep I'd either be so tired I fell asleep or I would watch TV.

I dont nkow what cruiseline you are going on, but we went on NCL a few years ago, and the kids both slept on a fold out queen couch. There was a heavy curtain between our bed and their bed, so we could put them to sleep in the "dark" room and be doing whatever we wanted on the other side of the curtain.....

Plus, I don't know if this is true for all children, but my children sleep SOUNDLY on cruise ships!

My advice is to use the kids' club and relax the bedtime rule while you're on vacation. Kids are resilient, a week of less sleep than is ideal won't hurt them, and it will seem like a big treat to them too.

If you go on Carnival or NCL, they have a "slumber party" in the kids' club and as the kids get tired they can just go to sleep on a big blanket on the floor watching a movie.

Whatever you do, those ages are far too young to be left alone in your cabin.

Oh and I was going to say that the kids clubs are AMAZING!! The kids have so much fun in them, and they are safe!! No adults go in, no one gets their child out without ID. Check it out. Before you know it, your children will be going to school and it's a great way for them to interact in groups and have fun!

Another thing to consider is researching Disney, they have one of the best childrens program and will be doing Alaska next year.

Hi all,

My kids (about the same age) usually go to sleep at 7:30pm at home every night. On our cruises we let them stay at the kids club after dinner until 10:30, while we go out. As long as they are having fun and are busy, they will be fine. They tend to act out and wine and cry when they are bored, so it is important that they are having fun in order for them to be able to handle it. They will sleep like babies and then sleep a little later in the morning. I tried giving them naps (because they napped at home) and going to bed early on our first cruise and it only resulted in meltdowns and wasted time. See what your kids can handle and remember it is a special time that they will remember for a long time, break the rules a little and all of you will have fun!

Check on babysitting/camp options. That age cannot be left alone so scratch that idea. I just went on Carnival and we had an early 6PM dinner with my 2 3yr old twins and then at 7, we'd drop them off at camp. They had organized activities for them until 10, then they'd give them sleeping bags if they got tired. We picked them up between 9-10PM every night because we were tired anyway and had to be up with them in the morning. I also brought a babysitter with my for my younger toddler. I'd ask the cruise line what they offer, Carnival wouldn't babysit in the room but would give them a sleeping mat to sleep on and it worked out just fine.

I also like the balcony idea, I've done that in regular hotel rooms before, my kids can sleep and my husband & I just relax on the balcony and have a drink.

I just got home from my cruise with DD. She is 4 1/2 and new to cruising unlike me. Her bedtime was thrown out the door when we walked aboard the ship. Usually the children love the kids club. I loved it when I was a child. DD did take a nap around 4:00. She rarely naps at home unless she is extremely tired or sick. I couldn't get her out of the kids club until 10:00. I would take her around the ship a little. Go to a quite area and sit for a couple of minutes so she could unwind. Sometimes she would fall asleep in the chair next to me or when we got back to the room.

At her age I would never think about leaving her alone. I travel by myself with her. So everything I do revolves around her. We had an outside room without a balcony. While she was trying to go to sleep I had a single light on if I wanted to read a book. However, I usually was tired to so I went to bed around the same time she did.

Cruising is great with children. You just have to get your own feeling for what is right to do.

We always have anytime dining, so if a nap at 5pm is necessary, so be it. We would go to dinner, take in the show as a family (kids aged 3 and 8) and head to the cabin. We were so active all day long from 6 or 7 am on, we were ALL ready for bed after the show.

I am a bit of a nut about leaving my kids, but I closely watched how the kids club was run for a while, then when I was satisfied that they were in good hands, the kids picked and chose the activities they wanted to take part in. They would take in the activity for an hour or so, then I would pick them up. Some kids never want to leave the kids club, mine liked the odd thing, but would rather be with us.

we take teh grandparents and get adjoining rooms. that way, we leave the door open, the grandparents usually (usually) retire before us, and then we can sneak out. but my wife complains that i pass out (so tired from the daily activities) witht he kids and she ends up going out with my mother...lol

we take teh grandparents and get adjoining rooms. that way, we leave the door open, the grandparents usually (usually) retire before us, and then we can sneak out. but my wife complains that i pass out (so tired from the daily activities) witht he kids and she ends up going out with my mother...lol

This is EXACTLY what we are doing on our upcoming cruise, I am glad to see that this arrangement has worked for others. :cool:

Practice making more kids what else! DS is 13 now and walks back to cabin after kids clubs etc. DD is 9, but would never leave alone. Can't even watch myself alone and i'm 43!

Hi all,

. . . . We do have a veranda stateroom, is that the same as "Balcony"? It was Dh's idea to get that since he's never been on a cruise before. I agree that we probably won't be spending too much time out there, because of the temperature and the potential for wet weather.

You might find it more comfortable on the balcony/veranda (yes they are pretty much the same thing) than you expect. We have cruised AK in earlyish spring and found it quite pleasant.

. . . Dh is also pretty hesitant about putting the kids in the kids programs. Its fine if a parent is with them but he's a big Papa Bear when it comes to leaving the kids in the hands of strangers. The grandparents on both sides will also be with us so I we can all take turns looking after the kids.

Hey, it's the kids vacation too. The kid's clubs are a lot of fun and a great way for kids to meet kids their same age. Don't let him deny them having a good time!

. . . Its good to know the age range that people are ok with leaving their kids alone. Personally I wouldn't even consider it and probably wouldn't until the kids are in their teens. . . .

We started letting our DD in the cabin alone for short periods of time when she was about 10YO. The "do not disturb" sign out and generally during the day. DH and I might go up to the buffet for a quick snack and be back in 20-40 minutes. We've extended the time over time. She's now 15YO (nearly) and still has lots of rules when she's "on her own"

Try to make it a point to go to the Kid's Club orientation with your DH. I always try to go with my wife when we sign the kids up. Just remind him, signing up doesn't make it an obligation to go, just an option.

Make a list of questions for the counselors... not the "What do you do if you need to get a hold of me?" or "What kinds of things will the children be doing?" questions... but questions like:

"How much longer do you have in your contract?"

"Have you had contracts with other cruise lines?"

- "How would you compare THAT program to this line's program?"

"Are you going to school for an education degree?"

"What kinds of experience did you have with kids before the cruise line?"

Stuff like that. Questions that might give you a good idea of how much experience the counselor has with kids in general, especially on a ship.

• 2 weeks later...

our kids were 10, 7 & 5, and we were on one cabin. One SERIOUS flaw w/ Disney family suites is the fact that the TV was on the kids side! (side w/ the fold outs & couch)...AND the murphy bed pulls right out in front of the sliding door to the verandah--which is VERY difficult to open! (you need leverage!) SO needless to say, we were in bed when they were!:(The couple of nights that the kids club was open late we took advantage of it...but the nightclubs were DEAD...and the kids were furious when we picked them up early. Our kids LOVED LOVED LOVED the kids clubs (ask them their fav parts of the cruise--kids club, pool, beaches). They spent mornings at the kids club, afternoons at the pool with us, dinner with us and evenings were either at a show (Disney) or at the kids club.

One thing I DO NOT advise is being too lax w/ bedtime--well, at least minimum sleep times. Our kids needed 10 hrs/nt at that time or they were monsters...so if they got less than that at night we insisted on an afternoon nap and everyone was MUCH happier for it. I'd say our kids were in bed between 9 & 10--and tho my boys are early risers, they were POOPED and generally slept well (ah, that rocking on the waves...)

Play it all by ear; be sure kids eat well & get enough sleep...if they like the kids club, let them go! If they aren't as fond of it, stick w/ family activities.

Archived