Food for thought...

CruisinFools

Please do not try to bully phone representatives when you call to book a cruise. Phone reps are not highly paid and have no authority to "do any better". They tell you the best promotional rates for which you may be eligible and try to be knowledgeable, pleasant and excited about your vacation. Some reps are better than others, but no one has any authority to give away the farm. It's amazing how someone can qualify for a 7-day, all-inclusive vacation (yes, there are some lines who still include gourmet meals and entertainment without nickle and dimeing their passengers to death) for $399 and they still ask for more.

Thank you. Well said. People think that it is easy to bully someone over the phone because they are not face to face. If only some of these reps were allowed to say "you know what sir (or madam) I don't get paid enough to listen to your abuse so I am hanging up and when you calm down please call us back and we will be happy to try and help you." But then that can only happen in a perfect world and we know this isn't a perfect world.

I think it is about time that big corporations allowed their customer service representatives that control of their phone calls. And since most calls are recorded anyway it would be easy to determine you is right and you was wrong.

I am one of the phone agents you refer to.

I don't consider that I am being bullied if I am asked to try and better a price quoted. It is, I guess part of the game of barter.

It is very rare that I can better my price, because I refuse to get into Dutch auctions and prostitute myself to become the lowest bidder so I give my best price as my first price, but I never take offence at being asked to see if I can improve. After all we are all entitled to get the best deal that we can for ourselves.

There is a way to talk to people, and the one thing I will say, is that the pleasant people are more likely to get a feww pounds (or dollars) knocked off the price than the obnoxious ones.

I guess "can you do better?" is just kind of human nature when it comes to purchasing certain items. Best example is an automobile. I remember once upon a time when booking a cruise, whatever the brochure price was, that's what you paid, no matter through who or how you booked the cruise. That was however, long before the days of internet, booking directly with the line, cruise only agents and the like., and the only "perk" you recieved was either a bottle of champage or an onboard credit from your agent.

When I saw the topic of this thread "Food for Thought" I expected to read about cruise food :) But seriously, these days we do not even talk on the phone to book cruises. Its just a quick click, click, click of the mouse and its done. Some major online TAs offer lower rates for booking on-line (it saves them paying for toll-free lines and staff) and we love getting instant confirmations and being able to immediately print-out the relevant booking documents so we have a record of exactly what was booked.

Hank

I think as a society, we think the salesperson is holding back, therefore we will ask. Happens buying cars, flea markets, etc.
Even Hilton has a rate category called "Lowest Available Rate" that is anything but - it's the base rate that AAA and AARP rates are discounted from. Rule 1 is always to ask whether there's a lower rate. Rule 2 is to ask again.

Please do not try to bully phone representatives when you call to book a cruise. Phone reps are not highly paid and have no authority to "do any better". They tell you the best promotional rates for which you may be eligible and try to be knowledgeable, pleasant and excited about your vacation. Some reps are better than others, but no one has any authority to give away the farm. It's amazing how someone can qualify for a 7-day, all-inclusive vacation (yes, there are some lines who still include gourmet meals and entertainment without nickle and dimeing their passengers to death) for $399 and they still ask for more.

Please believe me that I am not mocking you or being snippy. I would love to know which cruise lines offer this--truly. If there are some (or even one) that don't charge for the extras and include all gourmet/specialty dining and that offers 7-nights for $399 (obviously not $399 all the time), we would be all over checking that out!

beachchick

First, let me say that I cannot imagine being rude to someone on the phone who was there to assist me. IMHO, you never get anywhere by bullying people!

But here is what I really want to know..... I am not as experienced of a cruiser as many of you and I have always assumed that the price "is what it is", unless there is some special sale or promotion going on. We cruise with Princess in a mini-suite... are you saying I can "bargain" for a better price than the "rack rate"? The ships that we have sailed on have usually been overbooked, so why would the cruise line reduce their rates on desireable cabins? :confused: I can see them doing this before the cruise on categories that have not sold out. Last cruise several people I talked to had recieved offers for ship credit if they would wait for a later cruise date.

We used to use a TA, but we didn't get some of the "perks" that others get when a TA is used, so I prefer to maintain control. Our TA didn't send us wine, onboard credits or even a thank you note for our last cruisetour of 14 days! :rolleyes:

Even Hilton has a rate category called "Lowest Available Rate" that is anything but - it's the base rate that AAA and AARP rates are discounted from. Rule 1 is always to ask whether there's a lower rate. Rule 2 is to ask again.

I asked "What discounts might I be eligable for" at a hotel in Oahu, and got 2 out of 3 offered.

First, let me say that I cannot imagine being rude to someone on the phone who was there to assist me. IMHO, you never get anywhere by bullying people!

But here is what I really want to know..... I am not as experienced of a cruiser as many of you and I have always assumed that the price "is what it is", unless there is some special sale or promotion going on. We cruise with Princess in a mini-suite... are you saying I can "bargain" for a better price than the "rack rate"? The ships that we have sailed on have usually been overbooked, so why would the cruise line reduce their rates on desireable cabins? :confused: I can see them doing this before the cruise on categories that have not sold out. Last cruise several people I talked to had recieved offers for ship credit if they would wait for a later cruise date.

We used to use a TA, but we didn't get some of the "perks" that others get when a TA is used, so I prefer to maintain control. Our TA didn't send us wine, onboard credits or even a thank you note for our last cruisetour of 14 days! :rolleyes:

Travel agents are allowed to discount the "rack rates" on Princess, so yes, you can "bargain." It sounds like you had a loser TA as, even though all agents don't discount, you didn't even get a bottle of wine! Definitely shop around before booking your next cruise (or even after -- you can book direct with Princess if you need to lock in your favourite cabin in advance and then transfer the booking to a TA before final payment, once you find one offering a good deal). Unfortunately, we're not allowed to recommend agents on here, but a good place to start is with the site where agents will compete for your business (but you'll want to do due diligence on any agency before you settle on their bid), and asking friends (people who cruise a lot with Princess would be a good source!). You can really save a nice amount for doing a little legwork, as well as end up with some nice onboard credit. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Travel agents are allowed to discount the "rack rates" on Princess, so yes, you can "bargain." It sounds like you had a loser TA as, even though all agents don't discount, you didn't even get a bottle of wine! Definitely shop around before booking your next cruise (or even after -- you can book direct with Princess if you need to lock in your favourite cabin in advance and then transfer the booking to a TA before final payment, once you find one offering a good deal). Unfortunately, we're not allowed to recommend agents on here, but a good place to start is with the site where agents will compete for your business (but you'll want to do due diligence on any agency before you settle on their bid), and asking friends (people who cruise a lot with Princess would be a good source!). You can really save a nice amount for doing a little legwork, as well as end up with some nice onboard credit. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Yes, it helps tremendously!!! Thanks, now all I have to do is read between the lines and try to figure out where to find these travel agents that will compete for my business! :o If I google cruise compete, would that lead me in the right direction?

Yes, it helps tremendously!!! Thanks, now all I have to do is read between the lines and try to figure out where to find these travel agents that will compete for my business! :o If I google cruise compete, would that lead me in the right direction?

I had booked directly with my cruise line, got the cabin I wanted and then, because of the helpful people on this website, rdsgrl in particular, I was able to reduce the fare on my cruise from $9680 for 2 people to $7684. I got to keep my original mini-suite and instead of $200 OBC, I now have $260 OBC!!! The savings is enough to pay pre and post cruise hotel in Athens and Venice!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Y'all are AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had booked directly with my cruise line, got the cabin I wanted and then, because of the helpful people on this website, rdsgrl in particular, I was able to reduce the fare on my cruise from $9680 for 2 people to $7684. I got to keep my original mini-suite and instead of $200 OBC, I now have $260 OBC!!! The savings is enough to pay pre and post cruise hotel in Athens and Venice!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Y'all are AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YAY!!!! That's terrific -- I'm really happy for you!

Athens and Venice, eh? Is this the Black Sea cruise, by any chance?

Congrads to you on saving the big bucks. We have been telling folks (for years) to shop around among several large TAs and have always been amazed at how many still insist it makes sense to book directly with a cruise line. We booked two cruises this week for the next few months (one a 14 day Princess and the other a 41 day HA) and our total savings on the two cruises were over $1600 when compared to the rates offered directly by the cruise lines (and we did call the cruise lines to check).

Hank

Have you been?

No, not yet. I was booked on the Royal Princess last summer and very excited about it but sadly I had to cancel due to illness. I was so disappointed. It's on my list of options for next summer, even though they're not going back to Sochi, which was the real draw of that itinerary to me, as I love Russia. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have an awesome cruise, especially now that you've saved some money on it, which you can then spend on exciting shore excursions and maybe a few extra martinis!

No, not yet. I was booked on the Royal Princess last summer and very excited about it but sadly I had to cancel due to illness. I was so disappointed. It's on my list of options for next summer, even though they're not going back to Sochi, which was the real draw of that itinerary to me, as I love Russia. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have an awesome cruise, especially now that you've saved some money on it, which you can then spend on exciting shore excursions and maybe a few extra martinis!

Maybe you can work it out for this one in Sept 2011. I'll buy you a martini!:D

• 4 weeks later...

I am the original poster of this thread. Thank you for your comments. As always, Cruise Critic members are polite, positive and productive! I am one of those phone reps, who happens to also be an experienced cruiser. And yes, as the first responder said, it would be lovely if I could turn around and say to some rude callers everything I'd like to, but we are in the hospitality business and as inconsiderate as some callers may be, we will not stoop to their low level. I don't know anything about "bartering" or auctions. Doesn't sound like any legitimate cruise line I have ever heard of. Anyway, yes, the best place to negotiate is through your travel agent. They do a TON of business with the lines and have lots more flexibility than dealing directly with the cruise line. I know it seems to make more sense to get the lowest prices directly from the lines, but it doesn't work like that. Travel agents earn points from the cruise lines. These points can be used to get lower prices, on-board credit, free gifts, etc. We, who answer the phones at the cruise line can't do anything but, as I stated before, try to be knowledgeable and pleasant. We have to know how to read - and remember company policies, that's about it! Hopefully, you'll get a rep on the phone who loves cruise travel and is experienced (like me). Many phone reps haven't ever been on a cruise (at what they pay us, it's no wonder!) I completely agree that it never hurts to see if there are any additional discounts or perks that can be applied, but we honestly look for the best deals available. We don't work on commission and it's no money out of my pocket; why wouldn't I quote you the best price possible? Think about it. Now there have been times when I have gone above and beyond and try to assist in whatever way I can, with advice on the most economical way to book, or special info about the ship or getting the best location (for example, I try not to book anyone in a cabin right across from the laundry room, as opposed to some agents who will just reserve whatever cabins comes up in our system.) but there really isn't anything I (we) can do about lowering prices. We just do not have that authority. When someone asks if "there's anything more I can do", I often say, "if I had the authority to lower the price, I'd probably have my own office instead of sitting here answering the phones!" Of course, I say it with humor and only if I know I can kid around with the caller. Thanks again for all your comments. Oh yeah, one other thing (and my fellow reps will back me up on this, I am sure)... WE (the phone reps) never sent you anything in the mail or e-mail. (Yes, I know we are on the front lines and represent the entire company...) but everything you receive from the lines comes from the Marketing department. How often do I hear, "YOU sent me a flyer and it's totally false. YOU are just a big liar. YOU are trying to cheat me, etc." Kind folks, please read the fine print. Believe me, a major cruise line would not NOT cover their legal you-know-whats! And in answer to the previous post, there was a 7-night, Mexican Riviera sailing, with our casual (buffet) & gourmet dining, on-board entertainment and everything you find on a cruise for $399 plus $43 in gov't fees and taxes. Past passenger rate, inside cabin. The promotion lasted about a week (the line was trying to fill up the ship.) This was advertised in a mailer, but with limited availability, so by the time most folks got the mailer, the promotion was over and the prices increased. Imagine the calls we received! If a cruise line upsets you, please contact the Executive office. We lowly phone reps are here to help you plan your vacation, make your reservation and thank you for your business. I'm hoping that if enough people read this, they will realize that we are human beings on the phone, not just a voice. Bon Voyage!

• 1 year later...
I am one of the phone agents you refer to.

I don't consider that I am being bullied if I am asked to try and better a price quoted. It is, I guess part of the game of barter.

It is very rare that I can better my price, because I refuse to get into Dutch auctions and prostitute myself to become the lowest bidder so I give my best price as my first price, but I never take offence at being asked to see if I can improve. After all we are all entitled to get the best deal that we can for ourselves.

There is a way to talk to people, and the one thing I will say, is that the pleasant people are more likely to get a feww pounds (or dollars) knocked off the price than the obnoxious ones.

And where do you stand on taking huge deposits to secure non existent flights just weeks before your company folds?

Archived