Is Glacier Bay a "must do"?

crzgrl66

Looking at several cruiselines. Financially, we must stick to a Seattle roundtrip. Most of the Seattle Round trips go to Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay. In your opinion, would we be sorry that we didn't get to go to Glacier Bay. We will probably not return for a long time, especially with our kids. Thanks

I couldn't imagine not going to Hubbard and Glacier Bay. I feel that is the best part of a Alaska Cruise. However, if your budget will not allow it, then Tracy Arm will have to do. Alaska is such an amazing place to cruise to, you'll love it.

On our first Alaska cruise we went to Glacier Bay. This year we visited Hubbard Glacier instead. We enjoyed both experiences and really can't say that one was significantly better than the other. However, I can't imagine taking a cruise in Alaska that doesn't include a day at one or the other. If seeing a glacier close up, and a helicopter trip to one isn't feasible, I'd definitely choose a cruise that included Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier on its itinerary.:)

It depends on your priorities. If glaciers are high on that list, you want an itinerary that includes Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. As has been said, getting to Vancouver is easy and that opens up new options as well as getting you more sheltered sailing and better scenery.

You won't find better coastal glacier viewing in Alaska than Glacier Bay or Hubbard. The scenery and wildlife at Glacier Bay is more varied which Hubbard is one of the largest glaciers in the state. Tracy Arm can't compare with either one of them.

One more that says if you have never gone and may never go again, GLACIER BAY or Hubbard! Having done it 10 years ago did Tracy Arm this time. It was nice and like you had to do round trip and needed 5 cabins etc. etc. It was nice, but its not even close if seeing the huge expansive ice from the boat is what you are after. The ports, they are all the same, but scenic cruising is what its about IMHO, can't be missed. There are a few sailing but they have more limited port time with the roundtrips, and are more expensive as they should be.

Sorry a helicopter ride and landing or Mendenhall just can't compare, they are different. Sawyer was nice, but again you really can't be assured you'll get close and if that is important find the cruise that gets what you need/want.

Looking at several cruiselines. Financially, we must stick to a Seattle roundtrip. Most of the Seattle Round trips go to Tracy Arm and not Glacier Bay. In your opinion, would we be sorry that we didn't get to go to Glacier Bay. We will probably not return for a long time, especially with our kids. Thanks

Going to Glacier Bay is the one reason why we picked our particular sailing on Carnival. It is the only sailing in the season that goes to Glacier Bay. We leave from Seattle, but return to Vancouver and are taking the Cascades train back to Seattle so we can fly RT from the same airport.

we have done two Alaskan cruises and both times we went to Tracy Arm. I am a bit sad that we don't go close to the glacier. I would love to do Glacier bay, but if you cant then do the excursion from the ship to the Tracy Arm. They will pick you up on the ship and when everyone else turns around you get taken right up front and center!!:D

I went to Glacier Bay this year round trip from Seattle on the Holland America Oosterdam. Also, thought that the Golden Princess went to Glacier Bay every other week from Seattle. Check both Princess and Holland America for next year and see if they don't offer Glacier Bay and Seattle sailings.

I just came back from the NCL Pearl, round trip Seattle and it does go to Glacier Bay. I researched all lines out of Seattle and decided on NCL. We went with our 2 kids, age 15 and 12.

I have a review that I will attach a link to. It is very long but it does have headings if you want to skip over the details. I also have linked some pictures of Glacier Bay. We were blessed with some incredible weather on this cruise. Clear blue sky and sunny and warm at Glacier Bay made it even more of a special place.

Enjoy.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1256729

Archived