I am back. A lot of fun!!!

SingleFatherofDD

Sorry I haven't been around to tell you all about the great cruise I had with my DD. I have cruised many times before but this was my first time with DD. I had a ball. We were on the Veendam from 8/12 to 8/22 going to Bermuda. DD couldn't believe how big the ship was and also how nice it looked inside. She got into our stateroom and I allowed her to pick her bed. She put her teddy bears on the bed and we went to the Lido. At night after dinner I signed her into Club HAL. From that time on I couldn't get her out of it. She loved it very much. They kept her age group busy. Starting on day two she was taking a nap around 4:00. I was afraid that she wouldn't. I too took a nap at the same time. I have never napped on a cruise before. I guess taking care of a child is completely different.

We took a couple of ship sponsored shore excursions. The one she loved the most was being able to snorkel. However, she was stung on her inner thigh about 30 minutes before we left to go home. The sting lasted about 10 minutes and then she was back in the water. That is the only bad experience we had on this cruise.

I noticed one thing while I was on deck near the pool. There were a couple of parents who would allow their children to change from their wet suits into dry clothes at the pool area in the open. These children were around the age of my DD. Is it just the different type of people and changes from cruise to cruise? I mean in different countries they do different things. I took DD to the bathroom or cabin to change her into dry clothes.

I can't wait until my next cruise. Before I adopted DD from a family member I had two cruises planned. I had this one and also a New Years cruise. Now she will join me on my next one, but I haven't told her yet. I will tell her at her birthday. It will be one of her small gifts. I created a monster. She didn't want to get off and now wants to cruise everywhere.

I've actually seen a GROWN WOMAN change from wet bathing suit to dry one on deck, in front of everyone. After the 1st time, all the chairs around where she was sitting were PACKED! What a show! She did this EVERY time she took a dip.

I would say it depends on the age of the kids...under 5 or so, I see nothing wrong with it. Older than that, and I think privacy is something most kids would insist on!

OP: How old is your DD?

I'll be a prude and say that IMHO kids over the age of 3 shouldn't be changing in public. I'm the parent of 2 girls, the oldest of which is nearly 6. I know she would not think twice about totally stripping down in front of strangers but I would not feel comfortable with it.

OP: How old is your DD?

I'll be a prude and say that IMHO kids over the age of 3 shouldn't be changing in public. I'm the parent of 2 girls, the oldest of which is nearly 6. I know she would not think twice about totally stripping down in front of strangers but I would not feel comfortable with it.

OP has said in previous posts that she is nearly five. EM

My DD is 4 1/2. I try to teach her modesty, however like "ellp" my daughter wouldn't mind shedding her clothes. Being a single farther of a DD is pretty hard because of all the new things I am learning about little girls.

This post was mainly to tell everyone we had a great time. I just thought it was strange for parents to allow their children to change in the open. From what I learned it might not be that strange but I will still try to take her to the cabin.

My DD is 4 1/2. I try to teach her modesty, however like "ellp" my daughter wouldn't mind shedding her clothes. Being a single farther of a DD is pretty hard because of all the new things I am learning about little girls.

This post was mainly to tell everyone we had a great time. I just thought it was strange for parents to allow their children to change in the open. From what I learned it might not be that strange but I will still try to take her to the cabin.

I found the fact that people allowed their kids to change clothes out in the open to be a little unusual.

Maybe I've missed that on my cruises... It's not like the room or a bathroom is so very far away from the pool.

I'm glad you guys had a great time.

My kids love cruising... and it's great to hear when others have a great time on a cruise as well.

Welcome back! I remember your first post about this cruise and I was looking forward to your follow up :D I am so glad that everything worked out well -- except for that sting -- OUCH! :( But what a little trooper, jumping right back into the water!

Yep, looks like you created a little cruise monster. ;) Gotta luv em.

And yes, changing at the pool would be a cultural thing. My kids are very modest. Well, one of them is. I am working on the other one. ;)

Archived