Are the RCI Customer Service Reps Knowledgable and Consistent with Their Information?

Are The Reps, and information given by RCI accurate, consistent and easily understoo?  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Are The Reps, and information given by RCI accurate, consistent and easily understoo?

• Yes. They are consistent and accurate all the time.
    • Mostly. As a rule they are accurate and consistent.
    • Occasionally. Incorrect or confusing information, and multiple calls necessary for clarification.
    • Poor. Too much confusion or incorrect information given, espically for a company their size.

It seems like one of the running jokes on Cruise Critic is that when calling Royal Caribbean for information, one could call three times and get three totally different answers from three different CSRs.

This is exactly what happened to me. I called about their sea/air package and got 3 different answers when I called 3 different times. And I STILL never got an answer I understood! So I contacted a TA for clarification. :rolleyes:

I have always gotten pretty good info from the reps.

The only time we had a problem...well, it was huge. I called to make final payment on a cruise from LA

and the gentleman took the information. I called about 1-2 weeks before boarding to order a gift for the kids ..the gentleman had cancelled our cruise as well as taking final payment! He cancelled it AND charged my AMEX card, so I had no clue.

They had to do some scrambling, as we had one of the 3 RFS's on the ship, and they had upgraded someone to our suite...but it was rectified, with many apologies. This was 4 years ago for a week long "Mexican Riviera"

It turned out to be a not-so great cruise, so maybe I should have let it stay cancelled!:p

So far haven't had any problems with the reps, particularly C&A. My CVP has been consistently great as well. Sent her an email with a request for my upcoming Monarch cruise (first seating and with our waiter from the August cruise) and within 15 minutes got an updated booking confirmation showing the new dining time.

The only issue I've had is that recently I tried to apply a C&A Savings certificate to my cruise next fall, and after faxing it to the redemption center as requested, I got an email from them saying that because I already had OBC (from the booking bonus) that I couldn't get the certificate as well, which is incorrect. Called C&A, and within five minutes on the phone with her, she applied it to the reservation and sent a note to her supervisor to make sure that the redemption center knew about the new policies.

Having done it before, I can tell you that call center work is one of those things that just about anyone can do, so it attracts a wide range of people. If they don't keep up to date on policy changes or if they just don't care because it's a job and they're doing the bare minimum, then you're going to get poor service. Every call center has these types of people. Does RCI have more of these people than the average? Probably not. Do people tend to remember poor experiences more so than good experiences? Absolutely. Always keep that in mind when running one of these unscientific polls ;)

Generally, have had no problems except for one occasion...

I called to upgrade my reservation from a JS to a GS. Now I knew that the deposit for a GS was $1000 so I would need to add another $500. The rep did not mention this so I said that the deposit was $1000, don't I need to add? The rep said no, the deposit is $500. I insisted that the deposit for a suite was $1000..(I know what happens when you don't have the correct deposit and I could possibly loose the cabin). The rep went away and came back and said, oh yea, Royal Caribbean does have a $1000 for suites. huh!!! :eek: I got the idea that I was talking to a call center that answered the phones of MANY cruise lines.. That's how it sounded to me. (I didn't ask and I probably should have) That may be why some reps don't know much.. I believe I called at night or on a weekend.

I called to upgrade my reservation from a JS to a GS. Now I knew that the deposit for a GS was $1000 so I would need to add another $500. The rep did not mention this so I said that the deposit was $1000, don't I need to add? The rep said no, the deposit is $500. I insisted that the deposit for a suite was $1000..(I know what happens when you don't have the correct deposit and I could possibly loose the cabin). The rep went away and came back and said, oh yea, Royal Caribbean does have a $1000 for suites. huh!!! :eek: I got the idea that I was talking to a call center that answered the phones of MANY cruise lines.. That's how it sounded to me. (I didn't ask and I probably should have) That may be why some reps don't know much.. I believe I called at night or on a weekend.

In a way, they do. Their sister lines are also handled at the call centers. I have no idea if they are dedicated to a particular division or not.

Here is a link to a website with additional information on the Oregon call center. (Yeah Toto, they're not just in Kansas anymore, or Miami.:))

I think that might solve many of the issues. Unfortunately, RCI is changing policies so fast that sometimes WE don't even know what they are doing!:eek:

^^This may be true, but at least we understand that policies change!:rolleyes:

To be fair, I feel most of the blame rests with RCI, not the individual CSRs. Having been a systems consultant for CSR companies, I can tell you they are usually low-wage, barely trained and in some cases not even employed by the "company" but either temp-to-hire or outsourced.

I've never called RCI, but if they use RCI employees or at least english-first-language CSRs, we are already one step ahead of most call center operations.;)

True, most CSRs could use more training. Also true that sometimes they are not provided with the most current policies/procedures. RCI needs to address this. With modern technology, there is no reason for knowledge gaps. Perhaps a daily internal "news flash" across the computer monitor when a CSR signs in to give them any changes since their last log-in..etc.

Most CSRs have never been on a cruise or maybe even seen/toured a ship. If they are RCI employees and near a port, RCI should remedy this and give them a chance to understand the product.

We also have to remember that we are passionate about cruising, extremely engaged in the discussion of and enthusiasm for all things cruising. To us this is an enjoyable obsession. To them it is a job.:o

^^This may be true, but at least we understand that policies change!:rolleyes:

To be fair, I feel most of the blame rests with RCI, not the individual CSRs. Having been a systems consultant for CSR companies, I can tell you they are usually low-wage, barely trained and in some cases not even employed by the "company" but either temp-to-hire or outsourced.

I've never called RCI, but if they use RCI employees or at least english-first-language CSRs, we are already one step ahead of most call center operations.;)

True, most CSRs could use more training. Also true that sometimes they are not provided with the most current policies/procedures. RCI needs to address this. With modern technology, there is no reason for knowledge gaps. Perhaps a daily internal "news flash" across the computer monitor when a CSR signs in to give them any changes since their last log-in..etc.

Most CSRs have never been on a cruise or maybe even seen/toured a ship. If they are RCI employees and near a port, RCI should remedy this and give them a chance to understand the product.

We also have to remember that we are passionate about cruising, extremely engaged in the discussion of and enthusiasm for all things cruising. To us this is an enjoyable obsession. To them it is a job.:o

I have read this statement a lot. According to this article, that is not necessarily true.

Here is part of the article.

Training of new employees includes three weeks of classroom work, plus two weeks taking phone calls as a trainee...

...To enable employees in their first year of hire to experience Royal Caribbean's product firsthand the company treats them to a cruise, Murrill said. Employees only have to pay for tips, he said, adding that last year, several thousand Royal Caribbean employees took the complimentary cruises."

It is from an article in 2005. But it does seem to contradict the argument.

Someone ought to do a poll on the amount of inaccuracies provided hourly on Cruise Critic by various posters! :D:eek::eek::cool:

How about this poll.

What information do you find more accurate more often.

1. A consensus of Cruise Critic opinions

2. A consensus of RCI customer service reps

or this.

Who should provide accurate information in regards to RCI's policies

1. Cruise Critic Members

2. RCI customer service reps.

The point of this unscientific poll was to get opinions as to the level of service provided by RCI's reps.

Cruise Critic members are not the ones paid for by the cruise line to provide this service.

And although the poll is unscientific, the two thirds of the responses do seem to indicate there is a problem with getting consistent, understandable, and accurate information.

And since you have worked every position possible in the cruise industry, what do the results of the poll indicate to you?

I meant to say "Most CSRs have PROBABLY never been on a cruise or maybe even seen/toured a ship."

In any case, I stand corrected if RCI indeed continues to offer this program.

I was not trying to correct you. Sorry if it came across that way. :(

Knowing that they do (or did) provide this program might have an influence in your opinion of the CRSs performance.

I have had a few different stories from various RCI vacation planners lately....Before anyone becomes defensive, please let me say that I find it more comical than anything, and I'm taking it in stride. RCI is a great company...The vacation planners are just on different pages regarding some policies. In July, I reserved a cruise for Oct. on Radiance (Cat. D1) for 4 people. I checked for price drops almost daily (even though I was aware of the policy change effective May 17, 2010). Two days after final payment, the fare was down $100. So, I called and asked about it (just in case they might give it to me). Sure enough, the fellow on the other end said, "Mam, we honor price drops until the date the ship sails." And we got the $100 OBC. (Wow, that was easy! :-) A week later, another $100 price drop. I called, and the fellow said, "No, our policy changed May 17 and we no longer honor price drops." I explained what happened w/ getting the OBC a week previous (AFTER the final payment date). He said he saw the OBC on our res. but it was w/ supervisor approval, and guests are only allowed one of those per sailing. OK, fine. So, I called (just out of curiosity) a couple hours later. This time I was told it had nothing to do w/ supervisor approval but final payment date. When I told him I was granted OBC 2 days AFTER final payment date, he retracted and said that RCI honors price drops w/in 48 hours of final payment date....Oh well, all that to say, it was rather amusing how the reasons varied, dependent upon who I spoke with. Bottom line: No more onboard credit, so I guess the reasons don't really matter. They just maybe should do a little training update so that there is more consistency. :-)

How about this poll.

What information do you find more accurate more often.

1. A consensus of Cruise Critic opinions

2. A consensus of RCI customer service reps

I would change 1. to read: a consensus of certain cruise critic opinions.

There are certain posters who usually post accurate and dependable information and then there are lots of posters who post the first thing they think of and insist that it's right.

In regards to the Royal reps: they must be reading these posts because the last few times I have called, I had to wait each time while they documented the exchange. I could hear lots of typing in the background while I waited for them to continue.

This even happened with one of the reps who gave me wrong information :rolleyes: I guess she documented all the wrong things she said so maybe that will help in the long run.

I would change 1. to read: a consensus of certain cruise critic opinions.

There are certain posters who usually post accurate and dependable information and then there are lots of posters who post the first thing they think of and insist that it's right.

In regards to the Royal reps: they must be reading these posts because the last few times I have called, I had to wait each time while they documented the exchange. I could hear lots of typing in the background while I waited for them to continue.

This even happened with one of the reps who gave me wrong information :rolleyes: I guess she documented all the wrong things she said so maybe that will help in the long run.

Maybe the typing you heard was the rep logging on to Cruise Critic to try to find the answer to your question.:D

Maybe the typing you heard was the rep logging on to Cruise Critic to try to find the answer to your question.:D

They probably have one username that everyone uses at the call center. We should try to find a poster who always puts, "Urgent! Need help fast!" in the title bar, ha ha.

(during the typing I felt like Elaine on Seinfeld in the doctor's visit episode)

I have used the same RCCL certified planner for 10 years ( includes seven cruises and the Oasis in October 2010.) Have never had a problem. She is courteous, friendly, informative and exudes customer service.

Always and I mean always gets back to me promptly. If she doesn't know something (rarely) she finds out and gets back to me the same day - usually within an hour.

I have friends and family whom have used her for booking cruises as well with nary a problem.

I have used the same RCCL certified planner for 10 years ( includes seven cruises and the Oasis in October 2010.) Have never had a problem. She is courteous, friendly, informative and exudes customer service.

Always and I mean always gets back to me promptly. If she doesn't know something (rarely) she finds out and gets back to me the same day - usually within an hour.

I have friends and family whom have used her for booking cruises as well with nary a problem.

Who is this goddess and what is her direct line phone number?

Archived